Moving to Crovallis

A place to gain knowledge about Oregon duck hunting. Share your strategies here. From hunting on the Columbia river delta and Pacific Ocean to the open plains of eastern OR.

Moderators: Tealer, Oregon Honker, njonesy_07

Moving to Crovallis

Postby FlyHerk » Tue May 06, 2014 10:49 pm

Greetings all,

I am an active duty Marine who will be receiving orders to the Corvallis area late 2014/early 2015. I know it's a while out, but I've got to make sure I educate myself about the area as far as hunting and fishing goes. I'm coming from Arkansas but I grew up in Northern California and Nevada, so I'm anxious to see what the waterfowl hunting is like in Oregon. When I was growing up, my dad did his fair share of elk hunting in the Bend and Eugene areas. I'm not only looking for waterfowl, but pretty much anything. I'm also not looking to get into anyone's hot spot, I'm just trying to network and get some ideas of what I'm up against. Thanks in advance!

Semper Fi!

FlyHerk
FlyHerk
Newb

Re: Moving to Crovallis

Postby QH's Paw » Fri May 09, 2014 12:03 am

You're not going to have any trouble finding things to hunt within driving distance of Corvallis. As for the elk hunting, it will depend on which elk you want to hunt and how. There will be deer hunting too, if you chose to. In the immediate area is the E.E. Wilson WMA. They put pheasants out and also quite a few rabbits there too. Some people duck hunt it but there are better places within driving distance.
Fishing is wide open. The coast isn't more than 1 1/2 hours and there are rivers, streams and lakes all over the Willamette Valley.
You may be goose hunting in the permit zone too. So, you might want to get online and take your goose ID glass before you get here. We get an extra month for geese in the permit zone after ducks shut down. So far as ducks go, you'll be hunting all the same ducks you hunted in NorCal except, you will likely never see a blue-wing teal and will rarely see a Cinnamon teal. You'll probably have more public access hunting here than NorCal too.
Oh almost forgot, there are wild turkeys in that immediate area also.
I'll send you a PM with some other info when I get a chance.
Good Luck with your Oregon experience.
Shoot'em feet down and in the face! :hammer:
Save a Salmonid, shoot a sawbill
QH's Paw
hunter

Return to Oregon Duck Hunting