Proposed Sauvie Change

A place to gain knowledge about Oregon duck hunting. Share your strategies here. From hunting on the Columbia river delta and Pacific Ocean to the open plains of eastern OR.

Moderators: Tealer, Oregon Honker, njonesy_07

Proposed Sauvie Change

Postby 60's hunter » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:51 am

Well, just to bring up something hunting related ( instead of working ) what do you eastside SI guys think of the proposed change for Oct. 2015 season of including a number on your reservation slip that indicates the order of being able to pick your spot within your unit--------eliminating the advantage of getting there early in line. There is a app on the Fish & Wildlife web site to give your input for them to consider. What do ya think.
60's hunter
hunter
 
Posts: 185
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:26 pm


Re: Proposed Sauvie Change

Postby Jim Atlas » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:30 pm

I like it. I think the whole east side system could do with a few tweaks to speed/ smooth the process.
User avatar
Jim Atlas
hunter
 
Posts: 432
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:31 am
Location: NW Ore.

Re: Proposed Sauvie Change

Postby Tealer » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:43 pm

I mans I will hunt on the east side a lot less in the future. I have come to really enjoy camping out there. I also think that it will be a lot tougher to draw hunts on the eastside from here on out.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot
 
Posts: 6000
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:41 am
Location: Along the Columbia

Re: Proposed Sauvie Change

Postby QH's Paw » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:39 am

60's hunter wrote: what do you eastside SI guys think of the proposed change for Oct. 2015 season of including a number on your reservation slip that indicates the order of being able to pick your spot within your unit-There is a app on the Fish & Wildlife web site to give your input for them to consider. What do ya think.

Just to clarify the misunderstanding you have of this current situation. They are looking at the possibility. There is no proposal as of yet. They have been asked to look into the possibility and get a consensus and input into the idea of changing it. Again, it is not a proposal yet.
Here is a link to the info you mentioned in your OP above.

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources/hu ... System.pdf

I feel the same way as Tealer in that I am against it. I know, in some of the units, if I were to draw and be assigned a number of 3 or higher, I probably would not bother buying the reservation or going. When I want to draw chips in an order, I go to the westside, it's that simple. I would go so far as to say, if I was to draw eastside under that type of draw more than twice with a number 3 or higher, I would likely quit putting in altogether.
I can say this, I had a run of bad luck with the draws from 2006-2012. I did not draw for even one hunt period. I can't imagine how disappointed I would have been , if after that long of a wait, I drew my hunt area with a #6, that would be a flat out slap in the face.
For anyone that feels the same as Tealer and I, that do not want the current system changed, please take the time to do to ODFW and voice your opinion, now, while they are listening.
Save a Salmonid, shoot a sawbill
User avatar
QH's Paw
hunter
 
Posts: 2369
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:09 pm
Location: Goble, OR overlooking the Big "C"

Re: Proposed Sauvie Change

Postby 60's hunter » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:34 am

Yeah, that's what I meant, that they are just thinkin about it. I totally see Paw's point of view---hadn't thought of that angle about it.
60's hunter
hunter
 
Posts: 185
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:26 pm

Re: Proposed Sauvie Change

Postby goosegunner12 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:55 am

I feel the same as Tealer and QH . I hunt several Refuges and hunt areas and I like each of them for the most part the way they are ran. With Sauvies island it's nice to know that when you see the successfull status on your draw results, that you have a chance to get your #1 pick of the unit. Does it take some sacrifice and commitment? Sometimes. The guys at the check station do a great job of cycling all the guys through the booth in a short amount of time. If they change I'm afraid the morning draw will be painfully slow with the amount if blinds to fill.
like QH said I think they will lose $ from people not buying there high # draws and ultimately quit putting in altogether.
goosegunner12
hunter
 
Posts: 127
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:11 pm
Location: Woodland Wa

Re: Proposed Sauvie Change

Postby Jim Atlas » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:18 am

Good point. Though I will counter it by saying, if you draw a #6, you have no idea if the guys who got #3-#5 bought the reservations, or if they'll even show up. For all you know, you high number might be the real first pick.
And if folks skip the high number reservations, it just leaves more for the campers in the non-res line.
To tell the truth, I don't think it'll make a huge impact on the experience of the reservation hunters.
But I 100% agree it might hurt revenue.

Honesty, I don't feel too strongly one way or another about this suggested change. The change I'd like to see is moving the time back to 2 hours before shooting time to give the last non-res hunters more time to get to their spots. I wouldn't mind waiting in my reserved blind an extra 1/2 hour if it means somebody isn't crashing around at shooting hours. And as a non-res hunter, I hate being "that guy." Small change that could really improve the hunt for everyone.
User avatar
Jim Atlas
hunter
 
Posts: 432
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:31 am
Location: NW Ore.

Re: Proposed Sauvie Change

Postby QH's Paw » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:55 am

Jim, you should email your opinion to the email on the ODFW post. At least at this point they are asking for input and, it might be something they will look at.
Save a Salmonid, shoot a sawbill
User avatar
QH's Paw
hunter
 
Posts: 2369
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:09 pm
Location: Goble, OR overlooking the Big "C"

Re: Proposed Sauvie Change

Postby Jim Atlas » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:36 pm

Yeah..... but as a general rule, I merely gripe-- not act.
User avatar
Jim Atlas
hunter
 
Posts: 432
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:31 am
Location: NW Ore.

Re: Proposed Sauvie Change

Postby QH's Paw » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:52 am

Jim Atlas wrote:Yeah..... but as a general rule, I merely gripe-- not act.

So then, you're not a 1%er you're a 99%er. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Save a Salmonid, shoot a sawbill
User avatar
QH's Paw
hunter
 
Posts: 2369
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:09 pm
Location: Goble, OR overlooking the Big "C"

Re: Proposed Sauvie Change

Postby Tealer » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:39 am

QH's Paw wrote:
60's hunter wrote: what do you eastside SI guys think of the proposed change for Oct. 2015 season of including a number on your reservation slip that indicates the order of being able to pick your spot within your unit-There is a app on the Fish & Wildlife web site to give your input for them to consider. What do ya think.

Just to clarify the misunderstanding you have of this current situation. They are looking at the possibility. There is no proposal as of yet. They have been asked to look into the possibility and get a consensus and input into the idea of changing it. Again, it is not a proposal yet.
Here is a link to the info you mentioned in your OP above.

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources/hu ... System.pdf

I feel the same way as Tealer in that I am against it. I know, in some of the units, if I were to draw and be assigned a number of 3 or higher, I probably would not bother buying the reservation or going. When I want to draw chips in an order, I go to the westside, it's that simple. I would go so far as to say, if I was to draw eastside under that type of draw more than twice with a number 3 or higher, I would likely quit putting in altogether.
I can say this, I had a run of bad luck with the draws from 2006-2012. I did not draw for even one hunt period. I can't imagine how disappointed I would have been , if after that long of a wait, I drew my hunt area with a #6, that would be a flat out slap in the face.
For anyone that feels the same as Tealer and I, that do not want the current system changed, please take the time to do to ODFW and voice your opinion, now, while they are listening.


I think it will actually raise revenue in the end. Because guys know they wont have to spend the night I think the number of applicants will sky rocket. And QH is right if I get a 3 or higher in the unit I draw for I will stay home. I don't think very many guys will pass on a 1 or 2 draw. When this goes through I will end up sleeping in the sweat line more often.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot
 
Posts: 6000
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:41 am
Location: Along the Columbia

Re: Proposed Sauvie Change

Postby Jim Atlas » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:39 am

QH's Paw wrote:
Jim Atlas wrote:Yeah..... but as a general rule, I merely gripe-- not act.

So then, you're not a 1%er you're a 99%er. :lol: :lol: :lol:


Nope, I'm a solid 33%'er :lol3: .
User avatar
Jim Atlas
hunter
 
Posts: 432
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:31 am
Location: NW Ore.

Re: Proposed Sauvie Change

Postby 60's hunter » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:35 am

"To kind of ad to what goose was sayin-----with the new idea everyone would probably have to go to the window at once, and then no one could get goin to their unit without a extra car lane.
60's hunter
hunter
 
Posts: 185
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:26 pm

Re: Proposed Sauvie Change

Postby Jim Atlas » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:42 pm

How long does it take to shuffle through all the west side guys?
But yes, they would have to widen the res line road.
User avatar
Jim Atlas
hunter
 
Posts: 432
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:31 am
Location: NW Ore.

Re: Proposed Sauvie Change

Postby Tealer » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:10 pm

60's hunter wrote:"To kind of ad to what goose was sayin-----with the new idea everyone would probably have to go to the window at once, and then no one could get goin to their unit without a extra car lane.



In the proposal they enlarge the parking lot and add an extra lane. Then they would call up all the number one picks, twos, threes , until they were all out.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot
 
Posts: 6000
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:41 am
Location: Along the Columbia

Re: Proposed Sauvie Change

Postby QH's Paw » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:22 pm

Tealer wrote:
60's hunter wrote:"To kind of ad to what goose was sayin-----with the new idea everyone would probably have to go to the window at once, and then no one could get goin to their unit without a extra car lane.



In the proposal they enlarge the parking lot and add an extra lane. Then they would call up all the number one picks, twos, threes , until they were all out.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is also what I have heard, directly from ODFW employees. Also, while at OWF, I spoke with ODWF about the email for people to state their feelings and opinions. There are very few people that have taken the time to comment up to this point. I'm sure later, when it is decided everyone will gripe and moan about the decision, as if they never had a chance to give their input. :huh: :no: :no:
Save a Salmonid, shoot a sawbill
User avatar
QH's Paw
hunter
 
Posts: 2369
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:09 pm
Location: Goble, OR overlooking the Big "C"


Return to Oregon Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests