In general the changes to the waterfowl seasons are as follows:
1. Similar duck seasons to last year with just calendar adjustments. Pintail seasons may go full season this year with a bag limit of one. There can only be 3 scaup in the limit this year but for full season. The attachment does not reflect the bag limit change for scaup. Please note it should be 3 instead of 4.
2. Goose season dates are similar to last year. The southern coastal zone along Hwy. 101 will be lifted. In general zones, dark goose bag limits are generally the same but the white goose limit is increased from 3 to 4 birds.
3. Cackler restrictions must be taken in the NW Oregon Special Permit Goose Zone. The bag limit for cacklers cannot exceed 2. We are still getting input for the location of the Marion county check station and to date it is about a 50/50 split on whether to move it to a new location. Other regulations pertaining to the permit zone are unchanged.
4. Brant season for Oregon will remain unchanged but cannot occur beyond December 15.
5. The Aleutian Canada goose has been removed from state threatened listing and they can be included in the daily bag.
Again, please provide feedback on these seasons ASAP. Again, all feedback, in support or against, is all reviewed and provided to the Commission before final decisions are made. Your input is appreciated. Please let me know if you have any questions. Please pass on to others if you are interested. Also, keep in mind with the volume of emails I get I cannot always respond back quickly.
ALSO, I KNOW MY EMAILS GET POSTED ON WEBSITES RATHER QUICKLY. I ONLY ASK THAT THE BODY OF THE EMAIL BE INCLUDED AND THAT ALL DATES ARE PRELIMINARY AND SUBJECT TO CHANGE UNTIL COMMISSION ACTION. ALSO THAT THE SCAUP LIMIT CHANGE NOT SHOWN ON THE PDF FILE BE POINTED OUT.
Some key dates and proposals from the attachement:
Duck season Zone 1: Oct. 15-Oct. 30 & Nov. 2-Jan. 29 (see last year's regs for zone definitions)
Duck season Zone 2: Oct. 8-Dec. 6 & Dec. 9-Jan. 29
(Note: a 60-day canvasback season is proposed for both zones with a daily bag limit of 1.)
Sept. goose: Sept. 10-Sept. 20 (NW Oregon counties; see last year's regs for list)
Sept goose: Sept. 10-Sept. 15 (rest of state)
An interesting note for goose hunters: "In the NW General Zone outside the Permit Zone, hunters are asked to voluntarily take the Permit Goose Test this year to become more familar with goose identification. Testing will be mandatory in both zones beginning in the Fall of 2006." Not sure what this means for the 2006-2007 goose season but it implies some significant changes in how the General Zone will be managed.
no closures for sprigs this year!!! nice. I hope this get's the final approval. It should. The final rubber stamping is usually just that..a formality.