New to area, need info or duck killin freinds

A place to gain knowledge about Oregon duck hunting. Share your strategies here. From hunting on the Columbia river delta and Pacific Ocean to the open plains of eastern OR.

Moderators: Tealer, Oregon Honker, njonesy_07

New to area, need info or duck killin freinds

Postby tshelmer » Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:31 pm

I am new to the area and my dog (rooster rouster remington) Remi for short, love to whack ducks. I have heard that Sauvie Island has good potential, without the long drive. I live in the Hillsboro area and need to find a place to go this fall, so any info would be appreciated. I am more than willing to hunt public land as long as "Sky Blasters" are not present. I like to see their feet before I pull the trigger so please all of you out there, heeelpppppp. I also am interested in private land and would be willing to drop a few bucks, so anyone!!!! please respond. :salude:
tshelmer
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:42 pm

Son, Your gonna hafta tell us just where in the heck you live before we can help ya. If you havn't noticed, this is one big damn rock we all live on here, so the more info the better. Atleast we'll be able to keep you within a couple day drive to the hunt that way. :thumbsup:

by the way. :welcome:

When and if you do figure out where you live or want to hunt, your state will be listed bellow on the forum index, if you go there you will get a lot better info. :salude:
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Re: New to area, need info or duck killin freinds

Postby whitefeather » Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:23 pm

tshelmer wrote:I am new to the area and my dog (rooster rouster remington) Remi for short, love to whack ducks. I have heard that Sauvie Island has good potential, without the long drive. I live in the Hillsboro area and need to find a place to go this fall, so any info would be appreciated. I am more than willing to hunt public land as long as "Sky Blasters" are not present. I like to see their feet before I pull the trigger so please all of you out there, heeelpppppp. I also am interested in private land and would be willing to drop a few bucks, so anyone!!!! please respond. :salude:

We have a Hillsboro here in Iowa not more than a few acres away. I don't think we're talkin' the same parts o' the country. I don't know of any islands in Hillsboro, Ia accept in someone's kitchen.
whitefeather
hunter

Postby Ducksbeus » Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:37 pm

Google search says hes from Oregon...never killed a duck in Oregon, but, did catch some nice salmon there :yes: :yes: :yes:

:welcome:
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Postby tshelmer » Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:21 pm

Okay , sorry bout that. Its Hillsboro, Oregon, close toportland (13 miles).
and by the way iowa rocks for bird hunting. Yes, Im feeling lucky Punk. 38 or 44 whatever it takes
tshelmer
hunter

Postby whitefeather » Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:39 pm

[quote="tshelmer"]Okay , sorry bout that. Its Hillsboro, Oregon, close toportland (13 miles).
and by the way iowa rocks for bird hunting.

We have a lot o' bouids here in Iowa. We annually lead the nation in pheasant harvast. Check out our numbers for deer antlers in the pope and young and boone and crocket lisings as a state. I am sure we stack up suitably.
whitefeather
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:42 pm

Sauvie Island is a good area to whack a few ducks...IF you get lucky and draw a low chip to get in and IF you get lucky and don't have a blind full if idiot skybusters next to you.

I've shot a lot of birds out there and have learned to take the good with the bad.

welcome to Oregon and I'm sure you'll have no trouble finding spots to hunt. the state is loaded with them. :thumbsup:

_ed
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby tshelmer » Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:12 am

Hey Ed,

I spent the morning out at Suavie Island and after inquiring with a few people, it looks like this is not the best place tohunt. Yuo have toshow up at 2 AM and wait for your number to call.

Does Anyone out there have any info on where good public hunting for Duck in Oregon or clubs where I can pay to get on private land.
:salude:
tshelmer
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Sat Aug 13, 2005 4:49 pm

i don't know about the 2am thing. on the westside of the island you do need to be in line 1.5 hours before legal shoot time to pull a chip. anything earlier than that is just less sleep time. i usually like to get there about 2 hours ahead of time just to give me a moment to check the numbers from the last shoot day.

lots of public land on the coastal areas and also some good (so i have heard) walk-in hunting on the lewis and clark refuge up around gresham/troutdale. (not the L&C area down on the lower river as that is boat in only)

plenty of private clubs around too..but i would ask if they are rain dependent to get water to flood their fields. last year was very dry and most clubs didn't have water until the very end of the season...which made for a lot of pissed off people who bought into leases.
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

public land

Postby gracenjohn » Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:30 pm

http://www.prd.state.or.us/images/pdf/w ... _guide.pdf

this link should get you to a map of public land on the willamette river. some of the areas are boat in only, but some are accessible by vehicle. good luck.

john
thanks be to God
gracenjohn
Forum Moderator

Postby Quacker Jack » Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:27 pm

John, that is a great resource on the Willamette Valley. Thanks. I am not the originator of this chat, but have the same problem. I am planning to relocate to Salem area in next two years and I am doing my research on duck, pheasant and turkey in Oregon. What is the best way for a newcomer to the area to find duck club membership opportunities in the Willamette Valley? Just word of mouth among friends and duck killler gatherings? Any bulletin boards of importance?
Quacker Jack
hunter

hunting info

Postby gracenjohn » Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:03 pm

I'm not sure about the best place for finding info, but you can't beat a DU banquet. pm me if you want the contact info for the president of the Dusky Chapter. Their banquet is on september 10th in west salem.

John
thanks be to God
gracenjohn
Forum Moderator

Return to Oregon Duck Hunting