Klamath Area

A place to gain knowledge about Oregon duck hunting. Share your strategies here. From hunting on the Columbia river delta and Pacific Ocean to the open plains of eastern OR.

Moderators: Tealer, Oregon Honker, njonesy_07

Klamath Area

Postby tstrong » Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:24 pm

Do any of you hunt the Klamath area? I'm looking to book a 2 day goose hunt for my son and I in early Jan. Any suggestions?
tstrong
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:59 am

never hunted the Klamath area, but i hear that it is a great place to hunt. just a bit too far for me to drive.

concerns that i have heard about those areas later in the year are that if the local holes freeze over then the birds tend to move out. I know that is true for the Summer Lake and Warner areas, but not sure if it affects Klamath. ask your guide about it and see what he says.
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

guides

Postby gracenjohn » Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:28 pm

tstrong,

we are headed to kfalls for labor day and I'll ask around. I'll let you know if I come up with anything.

john
thanks be to God
gracenjohn
hunter

Postby tstrong » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:15 pm

Thanks - Looks like the water level is really low up there. Almost drought like?
tstrong
hunter

oh my goodness

Postby gracenjohn » Sun Sep 04, 2005 10:07 pm

tstrong,

Oh my goodness! While visiting in Klamath, we took a little drive down to the lower Klamath Refuge and Tule Lake, just on the California side of stateline road. I have never personally seen as many birds in one place as I did there. Mallard, widgeon, teal, coots, cormorants, and Geese.

The folks I talked to commented on how the drought that they thought was coming was averted due to heavy rains and even snow in July. They don't seem really worked up about the water right now.

I can not vouch for the group, but I saw the shop where Roe Outfitters works out of in Klamath and was also able to get to their website from a link that I saw from google. Good luck and let us know how things go.

John
thanks be to God
gracenjohn
hunter

Postby tstrong » Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:56 pm

Thanks - I have been talking with a couple other outfitters in the area too, and they all say it's unbelievable and a trip you'll never forget.
tstrong
hunter

Postby cuppedwings04 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:59 pm

tstrong, if the birds are here in klamath you could probably freelance and get some pretty good action. I might even be able to help you out.

Brian
cuppedwings04
hunter

Postby gracenjohn » Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:34 pm

Thanks for stepping up Brian. I think that is one of the great things about this site.

:thumbsup:

John
thanks be to God
gracenjohn
hunter

Postby cuppedwings04 » Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:54 am

Hey it's just nice to get a hellping hand setting up the deke's.
cuppedwings04
hunter

Postby Dalros » Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:07 am

Hey there,

Not sure about Jan. but I know that for the zone 2 opener I was down there with a friend for the first time in that area and we had 2 great mixed limits of ducks down in in 1 hour. Shot my first speck there too - actually shot 3 of them. The guys next are camp had boats and they each shot limits of ducks and geese - BOTH lights and darks!!

I'm sold on the place and will be making it down there again in the next few weeks. I'll say one thing and that is that the area is vast and a boat would be the best way to do it by far. I talked to the BLM and the ODFW guys down there and they helped out tremendously. Also you might try calling down to the Rocky Point Resort. I found the owner down there really informative.

Good Luck and maybe I'll see ya down there!

PS - All the locals I met down there were absolutely cool guys. Not a bad one in the bunch.
Sure thing Hun, I'll get right on that...right after hunting season!
Dalros
hunter

klamath

Postby goosecaller dude » Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:12 am

hey hunt kfalls on a regular basis. dont roe a boat if you know what I mean locals not happy with him, well if you want to ground hunt scout the eve before the day you want to hunt if you have the deaks ,then set up in that spot the next morning, freelance its easy. if you have a boat goto the willamson river and go down it and watch the first flight and then get in that path and pass shoot em. honks drop hard either way best to hunt the Cal side we get screwed on our side there is no money spent here for us bird hunters for inprovements. going there this weekend to hunt. from the medford area I also hunt local here for them, but losing property to new owners
Last edited by goosecaller dude on Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
goosecaller dude
hunter

Postby goosecaller dude » Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:17 am

noticed you are from so cal hunt the cal side, you can shoot more down there cant you, how far south do you live know places mid state use to live there.
goosecaller dude
hunter

Postby tstrong » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:43 am

I live down in Orange County - Huntington Beach to be exact - I don't have a boat yet but I should by next year. I plan on free lancing (free roaming the area) I have a guided hunt on Jan 2nd in Anderson for a day, the rest of the week will be spent hunting the Klamath area.
tstrong
hunter

Postby cuppedwings04 » Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:00 pm

I don't know to many locals unhappy with Roe. I happen to like there new shop and game processing. It beats the heck out of driving to Tule. Plus I can finally find some decent calls without having to drive for hours. I met Darren Roe for the first time the other week and he seemed like a pretty nice fellow, who loves to hunt.
cuppedwings04
hunter

Postby tstrong » Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:44 pm

How do you scout the area if they shut the area down @ 1pm? How late can you be in the area?
tstrong
hunter

Postby cuppedwings04 » Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:28 pm

The Cali area is closed to hunting at 1 p.m. (Iheard they might change that in Dec.) but you can drive the roads and scout. The Oregon side is open until shooting hours.
cuppedwings04
hunter

Which place to hunt

Postby Feather Buster OSU » Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:28 pm

Hey I was gonna hunt the oregon side of Klamath. Which place is the best to hunt? The wildlife area or the refuge?
Feather Buster OSU
hunter

Postby cuppedwings04 » Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:14 pm

It just depends on what the birds are doing. Neither one of them are very hot right now. The weather has been clear for a good week, and most of the birds around are utilizing floods on private land. The next storm that rears it's head will be awesome hunting. The wood river public access is another possibility as well as the lake and various rivers.
cuppedwings04
hunter

no birds

Postby goosecaller dude » Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:06 pm

hey Roe has lied to to many people and farmers, they are getting pissed off watch your self, :withstupid: I was out on the lake the other day and there wasn't much flying, the state line area is open all day not to many birds, now if you hunt the cal side goto lower K for more ducks/geese if you want geese over ducks then goto tule. I will be out there this weekend fri,sat,sun I live about an hour away. the refuge will start being open all day on a couple of days per week starting in Dec. I also hunt private lands around the refuges and the lake. I have been hunting that area for about 24 yrs or so, it is getting worse every year, not better. I hunt both sides cal and Or. If you want to hunt :welcome:
goosecaller dude
hunter

lower klamath hunt

Postby goosecaller dude » Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:05 am

hey have you had a chance to get up and hunt? I was over there xmas weekend and the water was thawed out the birds were flying, did good the area is freezing up again getting cold again the cal side is now open all day on weds and Sats. and until 1:00 others you can scout all day everyday just need to stop hunting by 1:00 and all your gear out of the field by 2:00, most days the birds don't even fly til it starts to warm up to 20-25 deg. most mornings it is about 10 -15 degrees out there :eek: there were alot of nice big Bull sprig in the area. also honks,specks,and snows. going back soon :thumbsup:
goosecaller dude
hunter

Return to Oregon Duck Hunting