Central Oregon High Lakes

A place to gain knowledge about Oregon duck hunting. Share your strategies here. From hunting on the Columbia river delta and Pacific Ocean to the open plains of eastern OR.

Moderators: Tealer, njonesy_07

Central Oregon High Lakes

Postby Take'm4Dinner » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:28 pm

Hey Guys,

I've been hunting the high lakes in central Oregon a bunch this year and am curious if anyone else on here hunts up there. I know a bunch of folks jump shoot the area but I don't see many people hunting over decoys. I've been doing really well but never hear anyone blasting away like we do....just the random 2 to 3 shot spurt from the jump shooters working there way around the lake. Definitely not complaining but there are plenty of birds and seemingly no pressure. Have people just given up on hunting up here or what?
Take'm4Dinner
Newb

Remove Advertisements

DuckHuntingChat.com
Advertisement

Re: Central Oregon High Lakes

Postby dla » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:42 pm

Well if they weren't 185 miles from my house, I'd be out there every chance I got (until they freeze up).
dla
hunter

Postby Take'm4Dinner » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:35 pm

I'm sure it helps that I am only 20 min from the lakes and I do my homework during the week, but still seems like there should be more people hunting. 5 years ago it was way different. Lots more people.
Take'm4Dinner
Newb

Postby spoonysmaker » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:34 pm

Take'm4Dinner wrote:I'm sure it helps that I am only 20 min from the lakes and I do my homework during the week, but still seems like there should be more people hunting. 5 years ago it was way different. Lots more people.

Why would you complain about lack of hunters in an area you hunt that holds good populations of birds? :huh:
spoonysmaker
State Moderator

Postby baltz526 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:36 am

spoonysmaker wrote:
Take'm4Dinner wrote:I'm sure it helps that I am only 20 min from the lakes and I do my homework during the week, but still seems like there should be more people hunting. 5 years ago it was way different. Lots more people.

Why would you complain about lack of hunters in an area you hunt that holds good populations of birds? :huh:
Because it takes hunters to move the birds around. Or Eagles. If you are out on the lake by yourself, you only get shooting if the eagles are actively hunting. There can be 20K birds on the lake with nothing flying but a few random birds. Then a couple eagles get hungry. And in an hour they jump 15K birds. You can sit in your blind for hours without firing a shot, Then shoot several Ducks and a couple geese in a 1/2hour. Guys that live 20 minutes away make me jealous. I live 22 minutes on bad road from the main ramp. Wickiup is a great lake out of a boat, as long as the water level is high enough to use the main ramp. But hiding the boat is hard unless the wind and cloud cover is just right. Some years the water level makes it perfect for a small boat. Marshrat type hunting. You just need to match the stumps with your camo. Become a stump through out a couple decoys. Ice over shuts down hunting or deep snow. This year the deep snow shut it down. Last year it was ice. over the years I have seen maybe a dozen hunters who know how to hunt the Wickiup. On the days I hunted this year there was only 1 group of three a couple times and a single guy who understand it well enough to be successful. Most hunters drive around looking. Not really hunting it.
OHA life member Lapine oregon
baltz526
hunter

Return to Oregon Duck Hunting