Hey all, quick question.

A place to gain knowledge about Oregon duck hunting. Share your strategies here. From hunting on the Columbia river delta and Pacific Ocean to the open plains of eastern OR.

Moderators: Tealer, Oregon Honker, njonesy_07

Hey all, quick question.

Postby tonynchessie » Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:24 am

Great forum.

I'm new to the area and was wondering if anyone has any info about the hunting pressure at the Sandy River Delta. Word of mouth is...its heavy. I've been doing some training with the chessie out there and was just curious if it would be a good place for her first hunt. Or, would SI be a better bet. Any help is greatly appreciated.
tonynchessie
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Sat Sep 10, 2005 4:58 pm

never hunted the Sandy, but SI has a lot of pressure. not a bad place to take a new dog though. there are units you can hunt that keep you away from other hunting parties that would distract a new dog...you may not get a lot of shooting in, but good for training. *sigh* always a trade off i guess. lol.

btw..Welcome to Oregon and DHC!

:salude:
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby gracenjohn » Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:12 pm

:welcome: :welcome:

The only way to start a new dog on their hunting life is at Summer Lake on opening morning. Just kidding. REALLY bad idea. Every year there is at least 7 dogs and owners that the morning........a good chance to practice patience.

Just like your training sessions, make it short and sweet. Best of luck to you, and welcome!

John
thanks be to God
gracenjohn
hunter

Postby tonynchessie » Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:43 pm

Thanks guys,

I think I'll try an afternoon hunt at SI during the week. From what I can tell from hunter number online it is less congested during the week. :thumbsup:
tonynchessie
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:34 pm

yeah..you definately want to go during the week if you can. the weekends can get a little crazy sometimes.
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Chessie

Postby bigwhite » Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:30 pm

How old is your chessie?

Hunter -(my Choc Lab) just turned 5 months this last week (weighs in at 61 lbs) He wont be getting to hunt this year but will get to enjoy and train on some birds , if I can hit any :-). He isnt fat by any means but he is a big gangly boy right now.
bigwhite
hunter

Postby tonynchessie » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:01 pm

She's now 8 months and 55 lbs. I don't think she'll get out this season either, but same here, I'de like to get het on some ducks. Shes doing goods on quail, so I'm interested to see how she'll do on duck. Missed the opener cause work sent me away :pissed: , but heres the pic my wife took while I was away.
Last edited by tonynchessie on Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tonynchessie
hunter

Postby gracenjohn » Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:25 pm

good looking girl.

go for it Tony. Find yourself someone who you trust to take hunting and have it be all about the dog. I would even go so far as to say leave your gun unloaded until you handle her to her first retrieve. Make sure she has a good line of sight and marks the bird and then let her go. Good luck.

John
thanks be to God
gracenjohn
hunter

Postby tonynchessie » Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:07 pm

I went down to the marsh yesterday after work just to walk around with the gun and get the dog used to it. Though I might even jump some ducks. Snuck up on a few teal and had perfect shots, but found out the dog wont listen when both of my hands are on the gun. She snuck up nice and quiet behind me until I raised the gun and then she'd take off running in front of me. Didn't feel like given her any muzzle blast on her first hunt. I guess jump shootin is a little much for her just yet. Anyways, I think I'll try and get a buddy to give me a hand. Think she would be fine if I could handle her. Good thing is, wasted a little steel ,but she doesn't mind the gun any. :thumbsup:
tonynchessie
hunter

Return to Oregon Duck Hunting