Saturday opener - ready?

A great state with a number of waterfowl. This Pennsylvania duck hunting forum is a great place to discuss hunting practices from all over the state.

Moderators: PADUCKSTUFFER, don taylor

Saturday opener - ready?

Postby macdaddy » Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:45 am

Hope youns are ready for Saturday. I can't wait. Putting new weights on the dekes - have three more to fix up. Practicing the calls; wow! Good luck!
I'm the guy your Mother Goose warned you about.
macdaddy
hunter

First duck...

Postby Snaph » Sat Oct 09, 2004 9:49 pm

Wow... first time duck hunting and I was overwhelmed. My first duck I got was a mature woody. I always wanted one for my wall. The guys (I hunted with) that have been duck hunting for years never got (mature) one. I am still riding this high...why have I waited 20 years to try duck hunting? I was the only one who thought that me saying "aflack" was a funny duck call when we walked back to the swamp. I'm just a stupid rookie I guess. How much wood would a wood duck, duck if a wood duck could duck wood...I'm sure I'm not the first one to think of that.
Snaph
hunter

Postby jlb512 » Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:55 am

I had my best day in duck hunting!!! Wow my friend and I found this nice hole in the swamps here in Erie, I shot 3 greenwing teal, 1 woodie, and a black duck can you believe it. My friend prayed to the hunting gods and they delivered.
jlb512
hunter

Postby Snaph » Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:08 am

I guess the hunting gods smiled on all of the Erie area. We had so many birds come in on us it was uncanny. All three of us should have got our limit. I guess we need to calm down and shoot better.
Snaph
hunter

Postby suskiedrake » Sun Oct 10, 2004 6:11 pm

Send some of those birds southeast we have forgotten what a mallard looks like....Although the woodies are in good supply....
suskiedrake
hunter

Erie: how to

Postby macdaddy » Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:33 am

Hey, Snafu: got some questions 'bout hunting the lake.
Is your blind on the shore ( I remember you writing that it's on city property - some fellow from the quarry was hassling youns)? I take it that youns boat out to set the decoys - right? How many dekes? One guy I talked to last year @ Moraine told me that he had 100+ dekes - 10 or 20 doz. I remember you saying that youns were successful. I might try Erie some Saturday - want to know what I'm getting into.
I'm the guy your Mother Goose warned you about.
macdaddy
hunter

Postby Snaph » Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:13 pm

Hey Mark,
We didn't really have a blind. We hid among the trees, weeds and broken up concrete slabs that were dumped there. This is the city side. We where catching them as they flew from Presque Isle Bay into Lake Erie. This is where the rent-a-cop (screw him, until I see no hunting signs...I'm goin) said we could not hunt. We only had 12 or so dekes out. We plan to use about 100 the next time we set up. Now, if you go to Presque Isle State Park to hunt, there are blinds on shore that people built you can use. I have been told most of the time, if the blind owner shows up, they usually say you can stay and hunt with them. It was real slow last Sat. I guess the migration has yet to come through. I will let you know what is going on, and when it would be worth your while to make the trip up. I guess last year when the ducks came through, my buddie said there was 100's of 1000's of ducks everywhere. I'd like to see that myself. I am going to miss Sat morning cuz my freaking boss is making me come into work...crap. I will keep in touch...later.
Snaph
hunter

Postby jlb512 » Thu Oct 28, 2004 5:13 pm

Mark, If you decide to come to P.I. wait until it gets really cruddy out. Or good depending how you look at it. :thumbsup: I went to blind 59 last Sat. and I had guys on both sides of me in blinds with a few dozen dekes each with the bay as clear and still as ice. I only saw a few ducks up close and more in the middle with the layout boats. Last year mid Nov to Late Nov. I literally saw thousand of bluebills rise up from the head of the bay to fly to the lake. This happens on a daily basis. It is such a sight to see. If you can get a blind in the marina, you WILL need a dog or a boat to get to your ducks, but these blinds are the most productive. Another good spot is the point in which you will need a boat or good dog. GIT R DONE :yes:
jlb512
hunter

Postby Snaph » Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:54 pm

jlb...maybe you and I should talk. Hell, we live in the same city. I have a question for you anyway. Contact me. Or I will just e-mail you now.
Snaph
hunter

Return to Pennsylvania Duck Hunting