stupid seasons

A great state with a number of waterfowl. This Pennsylvania duck hunting forum is a great place to discuss hunting practices from all over the state.

Moderators: PADUCKSTUFFER, don taylor

stupid seasons

Postby chessieboy » Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:47 pm

Why the heck does PA/fed wild life make such stupid seasons and limits?

1 NO sunday hunting? I can fish, shot trap, shot crows but not geese/ducks!

2 Three bird limit in areas where I've seen the most birds in the commonwealth.

3 Season ends in the same area end early!

We need to take the biology degrees out of the Cracker Jack boxes and get someone with common sense God gave these birds to lead.

Just needed to vent.
chessieboy
hunter

Postby suskiedrake » Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:35 pm

I hear your frustration although the federal goverment does set the dates of the seasons. The federal government gives the state a sixety day duck season to set anywhere from October 1st to January 31st each season the PGC decides the dates from there. I agree it seems unfair, I myself am a OBSESSED diver hunter. We have a Canvasback season which again is set for 30 days. The PGC picks the dates, Here in the south zone it goes out before other states even come in. I can count on one hand and have a couple of fingers left how many cans I have seen during this period. Today 165 miles south my home I saw more cans that were legal from a blind boat on Eastern shore than I have seen in 17 years on the Susquehana combined.

Now the goose situation, The zones that hold the most geese are AP, Pynatuming, and SJB zones. The reason is simple, they are strong migratory zones, holding migrating birds. The rest of the state is the Resident zone holding mostly resident birds, which in my opion seem to the hardest to hunt. In RP zone we do you enjoy a longer season and much more liberal bag limit, but it is tougher hunting. I know how frustrating it is to be in a field when they are there and shooting a 3 bird or two bird limit seems almost a tease. And miles away in a five bird zone getting two birds each is a real test much less than five. Granted those migratory areas have many more birds but they are birds that need the most protection, they are not growing explosively like the resident flocks (canadas).

In closing if you would like to see seasons change consider joing a grass roots organization such as the Ocotara waterfowlers or SRWA. I know through these organization they convey your thoughts to the PGC and federal agencies. I submit a questionaire each year to the organization I belong to and ask for a 70 duck season with a four bird bag and I know that they speak my small voice at the waterfowl synposium for me. I hope this info helps to take some of the sting out of your pain.
Jayson Wilt
Foiles Migrators Pro-Staff
Team Strait Meat
suskiedrake
hunter

seasons

Postby duckphanaticinpa » Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:20 pm

I think suskie hit it right on!

If you want to keep seeing lots of geese you have to control the numbers of the geese that are migrating threw our area. If we shoot them all there wont be any left Simple as that.
duckphanaticinpa
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:08 pm

I'm from PA, but live in IL. We have a quota for the migrant Canadas and we are overrun with locals. It's very frustrating. Our season closed almost a month early because we hit the quota. I came back from PA after Christmas and expected to get into the thousands of geese that arrived just before I left. Unfortunately, my fellow hunters got into them first and closed out our season.

They actually do a pretty good job from a scientific perspective. They know how many birds are locals and migrants from the bands and they have a target number for the migrants that can be taken. In our case the migrant population is way below the target population and therefore they control the season very tightly. Fortunately for you guys, the migrant population must be healthy. Additionally, the number of migrants killed is divided amongst all states and provinces along the migration route. PA would kill more than their share if the limits were increased.

We need to figure out how to control the locals. They need to wear a sign or something. :toofunny: We have an early nuicance season, but our locals actually migrate north after the young can fly and aren't around for the early season. I saw about 1 goose a day during this season. When our locals return, they bring migrants with them. I went out two days after the nuisance season to fish where I had been hunting and could have shot my limit. I see between dozens and thousands of geese after they return from their summer vacation.

I love the Sunday hunting in Illinois. It's really frustrating when I head back to PA and want to go hunting with my friends and family, but we can only go Saturday because they have to work. What's up with no small game on Christmas Eve?
SpinnerMan
hunter

Return to Pennsylvania Duck Hunting