Pa. Northwest zone-what gives?!

A great state with a number of waterfowl. This Pennsylvania duck hunting forum is a great place to discuss hunting practices from all over the state.

Moderators: PADUCKSTUFFER, don taylor

Pa. Northwest zone-what gives?!

Postby macdaddy » Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:32 am

Am I the only one to notice that when the Game Commission submitted the season dates that they didn't leave a few days or a week off in the Northwest zone? The birds won't get a rest until rifle deer season. Did the high muckity mucks think that everyone in Mercer, Crawford, & Erie counties would be so thrilled by the special muzzleloader season, youth hunts, & upland & turkey seasons that they would run to the garage, hang up the dekes & the boat, & chase these others? I thought of maybe taking off a weekend; but that won't stop folks who may have scheduled a duck hunting day off this Saturday or the next. So the ducks will continue to be pressured. I think I'll made my concerns known to the Game Commission so that next year surely they will use a bit more wisdom setting the dates ( :toofunny: ). I'm sure that I can make a difference :toofunny: .
I'm the guy your Mother Goose warned you about.
macdaddy
hunter

Postby jlb512 » Thu Oct 28, 2004 5:16 pm

Did you notice they didn't get the waterfowl brochure out until the last minute. I wrote to them and they said" they wanted a more public opinion to when dates should be".. Someone should be more on the ball though.
jlb512
hunter

Postby macdaddy » Fri Oct 29, 2004 8:19 am

jlb: yep; noticed that. I'm going to try that "public opinion" business. Wonder if they'll listen?
macdaddy
hunter

Postby jlb512 » Sun Oct 31, 2004 9:26 am

I tell you what. I emailed the PA Game Commission to find out why they let the lake drain on Game land 218, It is perfect for waterfowl or was. They game me a whole page of nasty grams. They let the dam drain and now it is a big mud hole. There is some places to duck hunt up there but there are not many birds out there this year. The thing that kills me is they said they were emptying it to fix it, but that was a year ago. :pissed:
jlb512
hunter

Postby macdaddy » Wed Nov 03, 2004 9:11 am

I have a prep period right now. I looked @ that gamelands. Looks good on the website; but after what you've posted, what a shame. Once again, northwest Pa is being ignored. To be honest, jlb, I was @ Geneva on Saturday. Still all local ducks. About a dozen mallards flew around & around in the preserve, wouldn't cross the wire. Add to that the mild weather. Only thing good about the trip was lunch @ Cracker Barrel. They called for a bluebird day for Saturday; so disgusted, I asked a buddy from the club where the pheasants are. Haven't chased pheasants in 4 years. Till week of the 15th, when hopefully we'll get some harsher weather, and geese are back in, maybe pheasants are the only hope there is.
macdaddy
hunter

Postby suskiedrake » Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:29 pm

They have an annual meeting at middle creek each year I am not sure if public opions are taken at this meeting I know that the Susquehanna river waterfowlers give recomendations on seasons and bag limits. They also take feedback on there website on waterfowl seasons. But the good news is I was in the fingerlake reigon last week and the birds are on there way. We saw strong numbers of flight mallards and geese lots of lessers and a few flocks of snows.
suskiedrake
hunter

Return to Pennsylvania Duck Hunting