Good places in south west

A great state with a number of waterfowl. This Pennsylvania duck hunting forum is a great place to discuss hunting practices from all over the state.

Moderators: PADUCKSTUFFER, don taylor

Good places in south west

Postby Laxguy » Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:16 pm

hey im in pittsburgh and would like to know some good places for mallards and teal. any place with in an hour or two would be great. thanks
Laxguy
hunter

Postby macdaddy » Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:33 am

Moraine's Lake Arthur, generally. Straight up 79, turn right @ Butler exit. Gamelands 284 in Washington Twp., Lawrence Co. is good for the teal & mallards. Bring a boat for 284 - VERY mucky. Step foot in it - 5-10 mins. to get out. To get to 284 the easiest way - go up 79. Get off @ Grove City exit west, as though you would be going to the Outlets. Continue west on 208 go past a major intersection , past a dome - shaped building (Pottery Dome) down a dip to an intersection - Brent Road. Turn left, continue south to a large old school building on the left - Stiffy's Drilling. Go south on that road - Old Ash Rd. As you go south, to the right you'll see potholes. Just past where you can see the potholes, there's a farm. Turn right on Black Road. Go over a small bridge, slow down, approach a copse of pine trees on the right. Turn right down a crushed brick road - hope that you have good suspension - there you are.
I'm the guy your Mother Goose warned you about.
macdaddy
hunter

Postby Laxguy » Tue Nov 09, 2004 5:14 pm

and u can just get out and find a place to hunt from there?
Laxguy
hunter

Postby macdaddy » Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:01 am

Sorry for the delayed response.
Yes. When you pull into the parking place - it's shaped like a cul de sac - facing north you'll see trees w/ an opening @ the right. Excellent place to slide in your boat. Row out & you'll be in a pothole. Keep going to the northwest to find a little "island" of weeds that you can slide into. W/o a boat? Then go through the woods on the left and walk about 100 - 200 hundred yards following the curve of the pothole. Cross a small run off (watch the muck) & you'll see the pothole past some weeds that you can hide in. You'll see that small "island" of weeds about 50 - 75 yds in front of you. A buddy of mine & I on foot got some shooting there on Columbus Day. I got a woodie drake :smile: . Again, watch for the muck if you're on foot. If you have a dog & you're on foot, the walk through the woods would be a great payoff. If you have the whole package - dog, boat, decoys - you'll like this place. The 15th will bring some migrators here. The teal might still be in there - nice that the Game Commission gave the south zone a rest!
I'm the guy your Mother Goose warned you about.
macdaddy
hunter

Return to Pennsylvania Duck Hunting