Geese at Your Feet Outfitters

A great state with a number of waterfowl. This Pennsylvania duck hunting forum is a great place to discuss hunting practices from all over the state.

Moderators: PADUCKSTUFFER, don taylor

Geese at Your Feet Outfitters

Postby grunter » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:47 pm

Hey all, I want to give everyone a heads up before booking anything with Justin Stewart and Geese at Your Feet.

Last year myself, my wife, and a buddy from the Marines booked a goose hunt with them.I have never killed a goose and my wife was coming to take pictures and enjoy watching the birds work. (had to pay extra for her to come even tho she wasnt hunting) The date was picked out and set well over a month early and everything was goin well. Untill about a week before the hunt. I called up there and was told that another group booked a hunt the same day so depending on what the birds were doing, we might be combined with them. Sure enough, the day before the hunt I checked in and was informed that a cold front with some snow was rolling through and pushed a bunch of birds out. We would be hunting with another group of 3 guys and their guide. On top of that, Justin and his other guide didnt have enough layout blinds to accomidate all of us, so they had one of their buddies coming along with extras. We weren't thrilled, but was assured that the field we would be hunting was loaded with birds.

We made the hour and twenty minute drive the next morning and met them bright and early to help put out decoys and get blinds covered. the layout from left to right was myself, wife, my buddy, justin, the three other hunters, the guides buddy, then the other guide. that's 9 of us in layouts all in a line in the same field! The first goose to come in was a solo that dropped in the from right side over the decoys. Justin called the shot and himself and a guy from the other group both shot at the same time. Dont know who actually killed it, but 15 yards out, both of em probably hit it. A while later a big group of probably 100 birds started working. things looked good with singles and pairs dropping in and landing around the decoys. I myself had birds on the ground at 20 yards and had another dozen fly over well within range.....but never got the go ahead to shoot. The big group and most of the birds that had landed left and went to a different field. the only thing still there was a pair on the ground at the opposite end of the line up from me. The other guide shot both of them on the ground. we layed around and watched the birds fly back to the resting grounds before calling the hunt. After that we helped pick up decoys and blinds, loaded up the trucks and headed out without as much as an apology.

the end result was 3 geese, all killed by the guides and my group not pulling the trigger. me and my buddy werent too mad about it at the time, but my wife was LIVID! poor girl spent 5 hours lying in the snow and we didnt even get to shoot. I did contact them a few days after the hunt to try working out a deal on a snow goose hunt or another goose hunt, but never got a response to any of my phone calls or emails. I wasnt looking for a free hunt, but maybe a discount on the next one or a few dollars back to make my wife happy. I told them that I understand that he wanted the big group to commit and everyone shoot into em, but that didnt happen. To me, shooting a few geese flying by would have been way better than watching the big group fly away and only one paying hunter getting to shoot that entire morning. I did learn a lesson from that hunt. If i do ever book a hunt with anyone again, I will make it clear that my group will hunt together, not with a combined with another group. a legit outfitter would have more than 1 field to hunt and the supplies to accomidate the hunters they schedule. and the guides wont be carrying their guns unless it's clear that they only shoot into big groups or cleaning up cripples. They left a bad taste in my mouth and i find it hard to believe that they can call themselves outfitters. looks more like a way to hunt all year and get a tax write off for it. they were nice enough guys and your can look at their website and see that they do kill birds and have mostly good reviews. but they really dropped the ball on my hunt and I'm sure to steer people away from them for it.
grunter
hunter

Re: Geese at Your Feet Outfitters

Postby SQUAWKnemi » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:05 pm

I hunted with them a few weeks ago and although we went home with nothing I can't complain about my experiences. I guess to each his own. Our group had about 12 guys and they split us into three groups, one duck and two geese. We had some pretty hard winds working for the way we didn't want it to for my group. The duck group had enough birds come in to bag out twice between 6 kids but they were young high schoolers who have never shot at a duck so it is their own fault they only got 6. The other goose group had a few i dont remember the exact number but they got a few. Personally i'm neutral on them and thats only because anyone can find guys willing to share a blind and not use a guide service at all. I'd go with them again but my trip was with a high school and not a personal guided hunt that i dished out the full price for it ike you did. I completely understand why your mad. But, they shared a lot of good info with me as a waterfowl hunter i got tips on calling, spreads, scouting, i was actually surprised at first but they were pretty cool to me. but like i said to each his own.. i wouldnt go with a guide in pa on my own i have enough gear and friends to get it done on my own. My experience with them was good and im sure the guys who got to shoot would say the same. Nothing against you though i just thought id tell you my experience.
Some QUack And We Kill
SQUAWKnemi
hunter

Postby Swingo » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:33 am

So you're saying that the GUIDES were shooting? That's absurd! Can you imagine a trout guide showing you a good hole but taking the fish himself? Sheesh! Leave your guns at home if you're guiding!
Swingo
hunter

Postby SQUAWKnemi » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:09 am

with me they didnt have guns haha.. Maybe it was just different for my group because we had three adults and nine kids between the three groups.
Some QUack And We Kill
SQUAWKnemi
hunter

Postby vincentpa » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:49 am

Why would the guides carry guns and shoot? That's absurd.
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
vincentpa
hunter

Postby gooserslan » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:32 pm

I don't blame guides for taking guns... Most do. When you have large flocks come in or a cripple on the ground i feel like it's acceptable for them to be shooting. What is not all right is when they are shooting the singles coming in. I am glad you posted this. There are more guides out there that need to be exposed. Nine guys in one field for Canadas is INSANE!!! ABSOLUTELY INSANE!!! If it is a field i have permission to I don't like having more than 3 guys total in it at one time.
Season Totals.
Flambeau Wood Duck- 1
GHG Wood Duck - 1
GHG Mallard Hot Buy- 2
Big Foot Canada Floater - 1
gooserslan
hunter

Postby grunter » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:02 pm

thanks to everyone that has taken the time to read my super long post. hopefully it shines some light on "guided hunts" and how you dont always get what you pay for. seems like everyone agrees that there isnt a need for guides to be shooting unless its a large group or cripples. I have no idea why they were so quick to shoot with 5 experienced paying clients out there with them.
I know that you cant make birds work the way you want them all the time, and that's acceptable. I enjoyed that snowy morning watching and hearing the birds circle. but it was the guides shooting and then never hearing anything back from my phone calls and emails that shows their character and how they deal with clients. apparently business is good and return customers arent important to em
grunter
hunter

Postby breckenmore » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:28 pm

I feel your pain. I went on my first truly bad guided hunt this year too. This was my first experience with a bad guide so my gut says its the exception and not the rule.
Treasurer- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

<https://www.facebook.com/groups/427747860594042>
breckenmore
hunter

Postby hud521 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:54 pm

I would love to go on a guided hunt some day with my son, so if we do I will be sure to ask you guys here for advice. I would hate to have a hunt like that. I also can't understand why the guide would be shooting?
hud521
hunter

Postby tsaylor1979 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:02 pm

gooserslan wrote:I don't blame guides for taking guns... Most do. When you have large flocks come in or a cripple on the ground i feel like it's acceptable for them to be shooting. What is not all right is when they are shooting the singles coming in. I am glad you posted this. There are more guides out there that need to be exposed. Nine guys in one field for Canadas is INSANE!!! ABSOLUTELY INSANE!!! If it is a field i have permission to I don't like having more than 3 guys total in it at one time.

I completely agree with this statement. Every last detail. I also don't think your wife should have been charged, normally you pay per gun. My 2 cents.
tsaylor1979
hunter

Postby don taylor » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:01 am

As soon as I found out the hunt would have guns I don't know on it, potentially unsafe guns, I'd have rescheduled. If you went to a car rental place and they said they only had 1 car, but 2 groups of people rented it, would you still pay full rate to ride in the back while the other group drove? Would you take a bus ticket, which is in effect is what they offered, for the price of the rented car?

9 people is nuts. I wouldn't hunt with 8 other guys for free, let alone pay to do it. If it was just you 3 with 2 guns, you'd have taken those singles and doubles in the decoys. Because they had to allow for large numbers to commit to allow shooting for all, your chance at birds was stolen. I don't know if it is a AP or RZ hunt, but a 3 or 5 bird limit appears to be what was lost. You sit and think...'What could I have done different.' on every hunt you don't limit on. In this case, you know whagt stopped you. It wasn't the decoys, it wasn't the spot, it wasn't the calling... It was a guide trying to allow for 2 groups to be happy, when you only paid to have your group happy.

That's wrong.

Guides shooting 1st is wrong. David took a gun last week, but didn't touch it or even load it. It was a back up gun only. That's the way it should be.

That said, I've never heard anything else bad about the guys. They have a decent rep, from what I've read.

We don't allow guide bashing here, but I read this as a relaying of an experience, not a bashing.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 001kds » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:14 pm

breckenmore wrote:I feel your pain. I went on my first truly bad guided hunt this year too. This was my first experience with a bad guide so my gut says its the exception and not the rule.

If you don't mind me asking who and where was it?
Traveling North America chasing the migration and making memories one shotshell at a time! KDS
001kds
hunter

Postby TeamBadluck » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:00 pm

I have hunted with these guys 3 times, they have always been upfront with me. At the start of each hunt they asked us if they could hunt too, which I dont have an issue with. I'm going to hunt with them this coming weekend I'll keep yens informed on how it goes... i know that we usually limit out when we go, maybe the waterfowl gods werent playing along that day, after all it id fair chase!!! :thumbsup:
TeamBadluck
Newb

Postby PAwaterfowldominator » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:20 pm

I've never heard one single good thing about this outfitter.
PAwaterfowldominator
hunter

Postby Huntfish12 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:19 pm

I remember reading this story. I know, its an old post, but after reading through it again and hearing some people agree with the guide actually hunting, I wanted voice my opinion. Guides caring a gun on the hunt, Im ok with. Shooting into a flock, not so cool. Yes, I think he/she should have a gun on him to finish off cripples but thats about it. If you have a party of 3 guys cut into a flock of say 10 birds and a total of 4 fall, its going to get confusing to keep track of who shot what bird. Heck it gets confusing sometimes with just me and my buddy on who kills which bird. Granted this would be unlikely to happen but the potential exists for someone to shoot over their legal limit. And if a banded bird gets killed, and its not clear who killed it, that can be a whole nother issue right there.
Theres always someone out there thats better then you. I'm that guy.
Huntfish12
hunter

Postby erp10 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:27 pm

I have been on guided hunts and have asked the guide to shoot with us. It all depends on the guide. If he is making the hunt fun and knows when to shoot it OK with me. They should know better then to shoot when a single or double come in though.
erp10
hunter

Postby BRKbill » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:27 am

i hunted with these guys...or guy...Justin for 3 diferent hunts and Never had any luck...always blaming it on the weather or on the birds....but in reality we found out thru other guys who went with him that he was pounding the same fileds in week in and week out...sure we saw hundreds of birds but they would never land...and as we learned these resident geese were just flying over those fields to ponds or golf courses....his 12 price return trips got too expensive with fuel costs and lost days at work...we changed up and have had lots of success....I actually enjoyed Justin and the Geese at Your feet associate guides...it was just poor planning and the lack of communication was a joke....he would NEVER call you back...UNTIL a couple days before the hunt...telling us how we missed out on last weeks birds...we specifically told him we could come down ANY TIME if he had lots of birds...no calls...Oh well good luck and shoot straight :no:
BRKbill
hunter

Return to Pennsylvania Duck Hunting