Four wayward hunters need help!

A great state with a number of waterfowl. This Pennsylvania duck hunting forum is a great place to discuss hunting practices from all over the state.

Moderators: PADUCKSTUFFER, don taylor

Four wayward hunters need help!

Postby OperatorX » Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:23 pm

Hello all,

I'm new to this site and registered to gain some awareness regarding duck hunting in general. My brothers and I started hunting about 4 years ago. We started slow with pheasants and have done some geese as well. We started hunting late in life as our father was not interrested in hunting, but a friend of the family got us each hooked individually. We'd like to expand our knowledge and start taking ducks as well. We live in the S.E. part of the state, were most fun hunting is restricted. We're happy to travel hunt, the problem is where? I'm interrested in hearing about any venues and or guide services that can help us get started an learn. This is something we'd like to pass along to our children as well, but we realize we need to learn a bit ourselves first!

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Signed,

Four lost souls...
OperatorX
Newb

Local Here...

Postby Honkers45 » Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:40 pm

Hey bud....i'm from Montgromery...county.....you know...the rivers pretty good and so is Noximixion at times.....for field Hunting....try evansburg park....the Fields are open during goose season.....and for ducks try the creeks in the park....just be safe...! maybe we'll get hook up during the season....just keep in touch...we could use a few more guns in the field...

Honkers :salude:
Honkers45
hunter

Postby OperatorX » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:35 am

Thanks Honk, I'm in Limerick. We hunt the fields across from the golf course at Evansberg for Phesant when the season opens. I wasn't aware it was decent location for ducks and goose? We tried looking for ducks by the water there last year but I think they were scared away by then.

Have you actually try setting up ground blinds in the park?
OperatorX
Newb

Postby Honkers45 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:48 pm

Yeah Bud it is....i've killed alotta geese in them fields in the past...just be safe and no shooting towards 73....you can hunt the creek also in the late season when the walkers are'nt out...just becareful.....shame we could'nt hunt them fields near the prison...there always loaded up....Honkers
Honkers45
hunter

Postby Honkers45 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:50 pm

Yes i've used blinds in the past up there...if you wanna hookup one day...we're hunt up on the water or some fields,i have in the county.....Deer hunters are sometimes a pain....but it can be done..i know i've done it....Honkers45
Honkers45
hunter

Postby OperatorX » Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:09 am

Thanks so much for the information Honkers. This is really helpful. One last question, is there any place you recommend for early season goose??
OperatorX
Newb

Postby Honkers45 » Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:28 pm

Well bud....i have a few spots...but most are on the water...but i can steer you if you wanna travel....up 611 off of 413 ther's a few farms that are signed up in the co op...just take a drive up and look for the signs and do some knocking on doors..Honkers :hammering:
Honkers45
hunter

Postby homefront » Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:00 pm

OperatorX -
I'm in Perkiomenville (small world!).
Why don't you try the Schuykill River at Linfield? You can also hunt pheasant and rabbiits there.
homefront
hunter

Postby Marshmudd » Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:33 pm

A good bet for some jump shooting, depending where you are, is to drive some back roads looking for farms with streams running through them. I've had some pretty good success that way. 4 people might be a little crowded so if the land and stream are big enough 2 guys each take different directions. Mostly get Mallards and Woodies with an occasional Greenwing.
Here's hoping for a lite rain every hunt!
Marshmudd
hunter

Postby Marshmudd » Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:35 pm

Oh, yeah, this should go without saying. Make sure you ask permission. And if you get a couple, share them with the land owner. If he likes duck he'll be more than happy to let you hunt again.
Here's hoping for a lite rain every hunt!
Marshmudd
hunter

Return to Pennsylvania Duck Hunting