Trying to Learn

A great state with a number of waterfowl. This Pennsylvania duck hunting forum is a great place to discuss hunting practices from all over the state.

Moderators: PADUCKSTUFFER, don taylor

Trying to Learn

Postby ryand0818 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:49 pm

Hey guys,

I have never hunted duck before, but am trying to learn. I am from Bucks County and was wondering if anyone had any advice, tips, or thoughts on where I could learn more.

Thanks!

-Ryan
ryand0818
hunter

Re: Trying to Learn

Postby mk3vento97 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:45 pm

I learned from watching hunting shows and tagging along with other hunters.
mk3vento97
hunter

Postby ajkissin » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:03 pm

I'm also in the learning process (which I'm sure it's a never ending cycle). But this is my first year hunting and my best advice is to do some research online to figure out the basics and then just go for it. Get a dozen decoys, a call, and a little water and learn by fire. I'm the furthest thing from an expert but I know a lot more than I did on opening day.

One of the top things I've learned is that you don't always need the biggest boat, most expensive gun, largest spread, or the biggest body of water to hunt. The only duck I've killed this season (due to poor shooting on my end) was a wood duck on a creek no more than 25 feet wide.

I'm from Delaware county and have a couple spots I hunt by myself near my house. Maybe we could get together sometime. I don't have much knowledge to offer but It's more fun to learn the ropes with somebody else.
ajkissin
hunter

Postby cthemfly25 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:00 am

These posts hit home. I live in Va but was born and raised in Philly and Delaware Coumty. I come up to Lancaster county to hunt geese and ducks in fields. Here's my number one suggestion for getting started as I'm truly just getting started. Go with a couple of friends and hook up with a good guide. I've been doing this for three seasons and am now just starting to "invest" in waterfowl hunting. As you can see, I just joined this forum and am buying some basic equipment. You might think that these guided trips are expensive but I only get to hunt this way a couple of times a year. Look at it as tuition. Can't tell you how much I've learned from this and you're exposed to all sorts of different layout blinds, decoy and decoy layouts, guns, chokes, calls, and a wealth of hunting knowledge.

I'm hoping now that as I get more equipment that I might find opportunities----it's the dog chasing his tail. And speaking of which I've even trained my first retriever, a Boykin. Anyway, I'll be heading up to York County for a hunt on the 18th. It might be worth trying to arrange a guided hunt in Lancaster just for us rookies. It could produce a lot of laughs.

I'll be heading "home" to visit the folks on Friday. Go birds.
cthemfly25
hunter

Postby ajkissin » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:37 am

Being on a budget, I've avoided guided hunts. BUT I think it is great advice to follow to get into the sport and learn the ropes. Especially if you don't have too much time to hunt.

I'd love to meet up wit some guys for a hunt. I travel between DELCO and the Millersville area so I can meet around those places or anywhere in between. I have a few spots that I would be willing to take some guys. I can't promise that they're the best but I see ducks. Don't have a boat or dog though, I have walk/drive in spots and I use a kayak. If anyone is up for it, I'll be pretty free between now and the end of the season so we should try to get a group together.
ajkissin
hunter

Postby vincentpa » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:00 pm

Books,
Videos,
Forums like these,
But most of all: EXPERIENCE. You have to get out there and get the experience of hunting.

If you have questions, guys on here will be more than willing to help you out. Just one piece of advice. Never ask for specific spots.
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
vincentpa
hunter

Postby ryand0818 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:36 pm

Thanks for all of the responses everyone. For all of the people that offered getting together...thanks! Feel free to PM me and maybe we can set something up. I am still a complete novice at this and basically have no experience or knowledge so I definitely need the "for dummies" explanations of things haha. Any suggestions on what initial equipment I would need?
ryand0818
hunter

Postby bru1055 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:55 pm

waders, shotgun, a call to start but practice at home till you sound right not calling is better than bad calling I've recored myself with my webcam played it back and compared it to some stuff on youtube.... a dozen deks to start isnt bad either you can get cheaps on ebay and cabelas hot buys got a dozen for 25 bucks last year they are cheap but they work
bru1055
hunter

Postby BrentwoodDucker » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:10 am

vincentpa wrote:Books,
Videos,
Forums like these,
But most of all: EXPERIENCE. You have to get out there and get the experience of hunting.

If you have questions, guys on here will be more than willing to help you out. Just one piece of advice. Never ask for specific spots.

I 'll give specific spots........Won't be any birds there, and you may flip your boat, but I'll give em to ya.. :grooving:
BrentwoodDucker
hunter

Postby Yam45 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:37 am

I'm also a rookie, first year without guides. Ive been hunting rivers for divers. Best advice I can give is research the types of birds you encounter and just get out and hunt/observe their habits. Learn basic calling, fancy stuff is better for competition than hunting. I use a dozen mallard decoys and hunt shallow coves from shore. good decoy spread + good concealment + good shooting = birds. luck doesn't hurt either. don't get hung up on calling . If the birds in your area are normally fairly Quiet, so should your calling be. Just like turkey hunting, over calling is much worse than not calling. I learned from my mistakes , which were quite a few on my first couple trips. good hunting !
Yam45
hunter

Postby ryand0818 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:46 pm

Thank you! I don't have a boat or a dog. Any advice for my situation.
ryand0818
hunter

Postby Boatman » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:06 am

ryand0818 wrote:Thank you! I don't have a boat or a dog. Any advice for my situation.

Unless you plan on hunting fields only you are going to need a boat of some kind.Or a dog. A sm 10'-12' jon boat will work fine for setting decoys and getting shot ducks.
There are still things worth dying for and 1 of those things is freedom.

I love Geese

Genesis 27:3 Now then, get your weapons, quiver and bow, go out in the fields and hunt some wild game for me.
Boatman
hunter

Postby drod » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:19 pm

ryand0818 wrote:Thank you! I don't have a boat or a dog. Any advice for my situation.

Find a swamp or a marsh you can wade. Or a farm pond that you can hit most spots with a fishing rod with a big top water plug to retrieve downed birds.
drod
hunter

Postby Mallard waker » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:41 am

I am only 14 but I have been going out for 4 years now so I know a little my best advise is go hunting with someone get a taste of it get a call practice A LOT get yourself a good set of decoys and just go out learning starts in the field
Mallard waker
Newb

Postby don taylor » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:15 am

Welcome to the forum, guys.

If it has been said once, it's been said a million times. There is nothing more important than scouting. If you hang up the waders and put down the paddle every saturday night and don't think about them till Monday, you'll never be as productive as the guys who scouts Sundays. Use the off day to find your birds. There is no substitution.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ryand0818 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:27 pm

Thanks to everyone for the advice. Any suggestions on the best way to scout?
ryand0818
hunter

Postby bribs » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:38 pm

Where are you in bucks county, i grew up there and now live in carbon county, its not a far drive. I know upper bucks has some places to hunt off of 611 by nockamixon st park. there are some creeks that all you need is hip boots or waiters
bribs
Newb

Postby don taylor » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:59 am

ryand0818 wrote:Thanks to everyone for the advice. Any suggestions on the best way to scout?

Look for bends, spots where the current slows, flats next to moving water that may flood. Look for flooded timber and grasses that go under. Look for farm ponds and areas where multiple bodies of water touch or are close. Like a cluster of swamps and ponds, or a pond near a creek and lowlands. The problem is, they all look good from a map. You'll check 20 to find one.. Sundays in season may not get you birds this year, but will pay huge dividends next year.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Trying to Learn

Postby Moultrie » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:31 am

Get yourself a good pair of bino's and look in the morning and evening. DO NOT just drive around trying to scare them up! See many people do this in the rice fields and wonder why the ducks don't come back.
Moultrie
hunter

Postby ryand0818 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:21 pm

Bribs- I am in the Warrington/Warminster area but close to 611 and willing to drive around to find birds. Have been looking... seeing a lot of geese but not seeing much in terms of ducks though (which sounds like it is the norm around here from the posts I have been reading). How does everyone go about getting permission to hunt on private lands. I have seen some areas where they look like good spots but have no idea who actually owns the property. Also, do you guys normally give anything to the landowners to thank them for giving you permission to hunt on their land? I appreciate everyone's advice.
ryand0818
hunter

Postby BrentwoodDucker » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:44 am

Don't just look for birds at specific times. Look for food sources. There is alot of info and pictures about what ducks eat in the marsh especially. Look for Duck Potato, Millet, wild celery, etc. You may not see the birds there at all times, but you're chances are much better if you can hunt in or around those area's.
BrentwoodDucker
hunter

Postby ryand0818 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:21 pm

ok thanks for the tip!
ryand0818
hunter

Postby ryand0818 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:43 pm

Hey everyone, another newbie question. I saw the posted hours for hunting. Does that mean that is the earliest time that you can actually enter the woods (say for example you are hunting on public game lands) or can you get out there and set up before that time and actually start hunting when the earliest time hits?
ryand0818
hunter

Postby don novicki » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:45 am

Those would be the actual shooting times. You can get there as early as you want to so you can get set up, and on public land the guy who gets there first get's the spot.............
don novicki
hunter

Postby Moultrie » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:09 am

There are places around here though that have launch times so you cannot be out there before a specific time so be careful. Only areas like that are game management that I know of
Moultrie
hunter

Next

Return to Pennsylvania Duck Hunting