Favorite Shotgun Load for all purpose

A great state with a number of waterfowl. This Pennsylvania duck hunting forum is a great place to discuss hunting practices from all over the state.

Moderators: PADUCKSTUFFER, don taylor

Re: Favorite Shotgun Load for all purpose

Postby foldinducks » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:46 pm

3" bb's at 1550,1 1/8oz load.put a single bb in thier head and you wont chase em at all.
it didnt smell like that when i ate it
foldinducks
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:51 pm

3" 1 1/4 ounce load of #1's for when I know I'll have both ducks AND geese to around 40 yards and a bit further. Late season, though we haven't really had one the last three years is usually 3" 1 1/4 ounce load of BB sttel, Hevi Metal, or when they really don't want to cooperate and like to skirt the deeks at 40 yards and not finish, a 3" 1 5/8 ounce of Remington HD in 4s. Stuff will make a goose look like it had the air sucked out from under it's wings at ranges most guys shouldn't be shooting in the first place and will give you more than enough pattern for ducks.
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby don taylor » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:51 pm

duckpond88 wrote:In a perfect duck hunting world every pellet doing 600fps at 40 yards will make it in and kill. But this is not a perfect world and havIng the extra speed to give your more down range energy that will help, so if they made a duck or goose load that only went 600 fps that would be your number one choice? Wat about on those windy days get your self a red Ryder bb gun and go out and try to shoot a can at 40 yards. That get your self a good cross man bb gun that shoots 1400 fps and see Wat does better

You're obviously misunderstanding how I am breaking this down. I will over simplify this. The numbers I am about to give you are approximate.

If you shoot a number 3 pellet with a 1350 fps launch speed, only out to a distance of 46 yards will it retain 600 fps or greater. That, or 3" of penetration is the benchmark for lethality.

If you launch that same pellet at 1550, that one single pellet is still only providing 3" of penetration and going greater than 600 fps at 49 yards. You gain 3 extra yards of killing power, but that extra powder, used to push that load, is directly proportional to the amount of pellets in the load. If you try to push too much, too fast, you start to run too high of a pressure to safely shoot them. Look at the weight of remington hypersonics and how fast they go vs a box of experts going much slower. You're sacrificing so many pellets for only a couple of yards of usable range.

You're on to something about the BB gun. A standard red ryder pushes a BB at 600 fps. That's it's launch speed. Hold a daisy red ryder, with a compass in the stock, to the head of a goose and launch that pellet. See what happens to the bird. Then use a beeman 1000 dollar air rifle that is double that. Hold it to a gooses head. The exact same result. A dead goose. What your going is subtra cting from the amount of 600 fps pellets strike, to only make minimal gains in speed.

Also, look at a chart. That 400 fps advantage you prefer to launch at is shed so quickly, you might have a 50 or 75 fps advantage at any long distance. Steel sheds extreme velocity very quickly
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby bassmaster624 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:15 pm

if you have 2 different loads of 3 shot.1 is only a 1 ounce load and the other load is 1 9/16.for those of you who pattern we use a 30 circle after we shoot to find the mass and to see if it is even.if your percentage of a 1 ounce is 84 percent pellets on target and the 1 9/16 load is the same 84 percent.which load is better?the 1 ounce load is going 1700 fps and the 1 9/16 is going 1350 fps.which one will travel further?the mass of your shot is what kills bird and the few that flare away when your not on target are most likely the ones that cripple.i try not to shoot past 40 yards with 3 shot ( no iam not perfect at judging distance).so i know what my limitations are.no matter how fast you push a certian size shot it;s effective range and pattern mass only goes so far.i have loads up to 2000 fps for steel shot.the fastest one i use it 1864 fps in the 12 ga.on lighter shot lets say 3's i love pushing that stuff fast.now bigger shot say bbb's the fps i like to keep those loads at 1550.why cause they will travel futher then i care to shot at something.it's all in shotgun and choke combo.in my ten i load from 1 1/4 to 1 5/8.12 ga i mostly load 1 ounce.12 ga ducks only 10 ga i hunt both.people really need to go to the pattern board it will amaze you on what one brand of shell does and the others dont.some people like heavier payload some dont some use 1 size shot to shot at everything. i think you should use what works for you.dont listen to all the hype about certian shells out there on the market.if it aint round how does it fly straight?just my 2 cents.
women love me and bass fear me
bassmaster624
hunter

Postby don taylor » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:09 pm

What Dale and I are trying to say is this. The more powder, the less room for pellets. Powder doesn't kill, nor does speed. Pellets striking the bird at over 600 fps are what kill. The more pellets striking, the greater likelihood of hitting a vital.

Anything much over 700 fps is wasted energy, energy that could have been pellets in the shell, not powder.

If you're shooting under 40 yards and shot larger than #4's, every extra FPS you have is less pellets hitting the target.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Winger. » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:08 pm

For all size ducks Kent 3" 1 1/8oz #3s @1560fps has been my favorite, for ducks and geese I like Federal 3.5" 1 3/8oz of #2s @1550fps, but even then I'm shooting mostly ducks so the load is geared more for late-season mallards.

Ideally, I switch shells and put BB size shot in for geese, they're tough birds!
Evil prevails when good men fail to act.
Winger.
hunter

Postby BrentwoodDucker » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:25 am

For ducks I use Kent Tungsten Matrix, 12g 3", 1 1/2oz. #5, 1350FPS or Hevi-Shot Goose 3" 1 1/2oz #4 @ 1350FPS. I have a pattern percentage @ 35yds with the Kents @ 90% and the Hevi @ 87%....I know they are really pricy, but in 7 years of shooting it, I can count the cripples on 1 hand.

For geese I use the Hevi Duck, 10g, 3 1/2" 1 3/4oz #2 @ 1350FPS for the migrating birds and in the September Season I use Super X Drylock 3 1/2", 1 5/8 oz # 2 @ 1350.

I also believe in payload rather than speed. However thats what my SX3 patterns at for the 12 and my BPS patterns for the 10.
The pattern board means everything!
BrentwoodDucker
hunter

Postby zeus50 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:37 am

if its just ducks we're after, i use 3" #3s
if both are in and depending on the action, i'll go up to 3" #2 or #1
if its mostly ducks and maybe geese, i'll go 3" #3 followed by #2 for the last 2 shots.
if its mostly geese and myabe ducks, i'll use 2 or 1s
zeus50
hunter

Postby BobF » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:04 pm

3" - #2 for pretty much everything this year. Only had 1 teal come in this year...wasn't pretty after getting hit close up with them. But haven't had a cripple this year!

sent from my S III using TapaTalk
BobF
hunter

Postby Dryfly5300 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:15 pm

Don:

I get what you are saying, :yes: going extreem the other way with Black Powder ten ga.
1 1/2 oz 1 shot at 1050 MV.
How can this work without roaring speeds, and yes i am old enough to remeber all lead, then having those bad steel loads the first couple years after going to steel. Wonder how many duck hunters we lost with that and the low duck numbers in the early 90's.

Thanks,

Tim
Dryfly5300
hunter

Postby boney fingers » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:23 pm

You guys are all wrong, the best ammo is whatever you mooch of your buddys. :biggrin: Im a fan of BC,but ive killed a pile with xperts also. I dont think the 3 1/2s are worth the money or the kick. I went through a phase where I was doing well with hypers, but shooting an O/U it gets old quick. I believe there is more variables in how I shoot than what I shoot; some days it seems I cant miss, other days I plain suck.
boney fingers
hunter

Previous

Return to Pennsylvania Duck Hunting