early season

A great state with a number of waterfowl. This Pennsylvania duck hunting forum is a great place to discuss hunting practices from all over the state.

Moderators: PADUCKSTUFFER, don taylor

early season

Postby jimbop2 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:56 pm

Today I succeeded at getting permission to hunt two farms but the fields won't be cut for a couple months (hopefully the geese frequent there). I believe that this is the case for most farms. This would be the first year I'm trying to hunt the early goose season, but where do you hunt when the farmers haven't cleared the fields? Lakes and rivers?
jimbop2
hunter

Postby quackmaster4 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:49 pm

If they aren't using the farms you have permission, you're gonna have to find out where they are. Some of our birds roost on a lake, fly out to fields where they feed, then hit a local river to loaf/hang out until the afternoon when they go to feed again. Even at $3 a gallon, you gotta get out and scout. Setting up randomly in a field and hoping geese will come by isn't a good strategy.
I wanna die in my sleep like my grandpa did.
(not yelling and screaming like everybody in the car with him)
quackmaster4
hunter

Postby pennsyltucky » Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:15 pm

hay fields and cut oats n wheat firlds. but mostly in the early part of early season, u have a better time if u find where they sit after the morning feed. they want to get in and rest, and if u shoot em first, they dont have to worry about it. once fields start opening up, then u really need to do the scouting, and find them. and they will pick a new place almost every time u shoot at em. farmers will be chopping corn soon. watch the back corners. the birds know that the chopper throws it over the wagon on the corners.

keep askin farmers and landowners where the birds are. they want em gone as much as u wanna shoot em. remember u are actually helping. and dont leave ur empties in the fields. or anywhere else for that matter. send em to me if u dont want em.

a fresh cut hay field with the windrows still on the ground that has geese in it is as good as it gets in early season.
muleskinner wrote:you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth and a benalli in the other.
pennsyltucky
Forum Moderator

Return to Pennsylvania Duck Hunting