Brandywine River AM hunt

A great state with a number of waterfowl. This Pennsylvania duck hunting forum is a great place to discuss hunting practices from all over the state.

Moderators: PADUCKSTUFFER, don taylor

Brandywine River AM hunt

Postby xxDuckWildxx » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:00 pm

Two of us hunted the Brandywine river this morning hoping for good action with everything being frozen. At first light 2 geese came up the river and a couple of calls later they dropped right in. 2 dead geese. After that we had 2 more flocks come in and we ended up with 5 total. Didn't even spot a duck until 8:30. Only saw 4 different small flocks of mallards, ended up shooting 1 drake. I don't know where all the ducks are this year? Usually this time of year at that spot we see many more ducks, especially when all the ponds and sloughs are iced over.
"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical"-Thomas Jefferson
xxDuckWildxx
hunter

Re: Brandywine River AM hunt

Postby don novicki » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:43 pm

A good morning none the less. You could be stuck up here in NW Pa. with no river. I'd give anything for a river now.....
don novicki
hunter

Postby xxDuckWildxx » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:57 pm

Yeah Don, I guess it's not so bad down this way. At least there is hunting and some geese to shoot at! Just odd about our ducks, compared to other years
"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical"-Thomas Jefferson
xxDuckWildxx
hunter

Postby Mattykass » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:34 pm

I hunt just up river from you. The duck numbers have been less and less for the last 5 years, I'm not sure what's going on. I used to limit out on mallards late season without a problem. I hunted the dam just below wyeths property since 1994. Your right, when everything freezes up the brandywine is usually a lock for ducks. Geese are another story... Plenty to go round! I'm moving to Colorado in the next few months I'm hoping the waterfowl hunting is as good if not better. Not much for water out there and it's seems you need to travel some distance to make it happen. All good though... Good luck next year leave some ducks for me when I come home for Xmas! Lol
Mattykass
Newb

Postby don novicki » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:44 pm

I've seen some decent videos hunting in Colorado....at least for honkers. You can take up Elk hunting.
don novicki
hunter

Postby xxDuckWildxx » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:40 pm

Matty, glad to hear from some of the local competition! :wink: We were out for one last go of it on Saturday for the geese in all that ice and we had mallards trying to commit suicide, go figure! We actually hunt about a mile upstream from Wyeth's, heard you guys doing a bunch of shooting a couple weekends ago
xxDuckWildxx
hunter

Postby Mattykass » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:42 pm

I have seen the videos as well. I am starting to appreciate the ability to knock on doors and gain access to properties in PA. Very different in that regard out here. Finding that the norm is to get on a lease with those who share your passion. This of course just takes time and money. Unfortunately it seems the days of driving 5 minutes to hunt will soon be behind me.
Mattykass
Newb

Postby Mattykass » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:50 pm

Duck wild,
You must be on the rt 100 side of the river. I know most of the guys who hunt the area, surprised we never ran into each other. I Have hunted every inch of that river from the ace hardware all the way to the museum. It's all yours now bud. I'm heading west in a month or so. Killed a pintail on the east branch on the last day of the duck season. That was a first for me. Good luck I hope the 2013 season brings you lots of birds!
Mattykass
Newb

Postby xxDuckWildxx » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:02 pm

yeah, we hunt the Rt.100 side. Only person I've actually met by name is Dave Zeigler. Also used to see a guy floating the river in a canoe every year on the first day of the early season, never caught his name though.
Congrats on the pintail too! We've been trying to get a pintail drake for years, but never have yet. Shot a couple pintail hens and eclipse drakes in Jersey early season. Well, good luck in Colorado, let us know how the hunting is!
xxDuckWildxx
hunter

Return to Pennsylvania Duck Hunting