Harrisburg Sports Show Bans Assault Weapons

A great state with a number of waterfowl. This Pennsylvania duck hunting forum is a great place to discuss hunting practices from all over the state.

Moderators: PADUCKSTUFFER, don taylor

Re: Harrisburg Sports Show Bans Assault Weapons

Postby tam9492 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:20 pm

:thumbsup: :grooving: :clapping: :lol3: :beer: :banana: :sniper:
tam9492
hunter

Postby timpy » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:39 pm

That is really awesome work!! I guess we Pennsylvanians are still "clinging to guns and religion" or at least guns anyway, lol. This is the only way to get people like this to pay attention, and that is to hurt their wallet. I would like to know how much money Reed Exhibitions lost from this.
timpy
hunter

Postby erp10 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:26 am

I saw where this show is only 1% of their yearly revenue. But that doesn't matter its more about letting the libs know we wont stand for something like this.
erp10
hunter

Postby don taylor » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:33 am

I'm pretty sure they put on the show in Monroeville. I was going to walk around and talk to people about Delta. Now I just might be in the parking lot for another reason. I'm sure their gun policy is now for all of their events. I don't know if they even sold AR's at the monroeville show before, But I'm not getting take out from Buffalo Wild Wings, either.If you have an anti gun policy, you get none of my $.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby wings-n-things » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:53 am

don

the monroeville show is NOT on reeds events list for the americas.

steve
wings-n-things
Newb

Postby timpy » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:12 am

They have learned nothing. I just read the statement released by Reed's president of American operations and in so many words he is calling people like us looney. The company is trying to marginalize the people who are standing up for this issue and disguise their move as simply preserving the purity of hunting and fishing. You can clearly tell by the tone of the statement that they will not change their position and it is obvious that they are going to try and wait out the issue, hoping that everyone will forget about it and "calm down" so that they run the show anyway.

Here is that weasels statement. I have underlined the a-holes poorly hidden sarcasm and bitterness. Clearly this guy is a tool.

“Our original decision not to include certain products in the Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show this year was made in order to preserve the event’s historical focus on the hunting and fishing traditions enjoyed by American families,” said Chet Burchett, Reed Exhibitions President for the Americas. “In the current climate, we felt that the presence of MSRs would distract from the theme of hunting and fishing, disrupting the broader experience of our guests. This was intended simply as a product decision, of the type event organizers need to make every day.
“It has become very clear to us after speaking with our customers that the event could not be held because the atmosphere of this year’s show would not be conducive to an event that is designed to provide family enjoyment. It is unfortunate that in the current emotionally charged atmosphere this celebratory event has become overshadowed by a decision that directly affected a small percentage of more than 1,000 exhibits showcasing products and services for those interested in hunting and fishing.
“ESS has long been proud to participate in the preservation and promotion of hunting and fishing traditions, and we hope that as the national debate clarifies, we will have an opportunity to consider rescheduling the event when the time is right to focus on the themes it celebrates.”
timpy
hunter

Postby rifleman » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:06 pm

:hi: From MA. Thanks for fighting guys. We appreciate your patroitizm.
USN Retired
NRA Life
Somerset Sportsman Club
East Warren Rod and Gun
rifleman
hunter

Postby Ahunter » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:20 pm

So let me understand this, Pennsylvania looses its largest and possibly its best Outdoor Sport Show and you all think you have won. No laws were being passed the guns in ? are not for hunting in our state and the last time I checked we have one of the largest hunting turnouts by license sales in the country.

Sound like we lost to me !
Ahunter
hunter

Postby tam9492 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:50 pm

First post, eh? Glad you joined just because of this thread :thumbsup: I don't see how it's our best show when they don't support fully the second amendment?? :huh: :no:
tam9492
hunter

Postby Ahunter » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:08 pm

tam,
Never felt the need to respond until now. Everyone seems to think the 2nd ammendment was at stake here, it was not. No vote was to be held at this event altering your rights in any way shape or form. It is amazing how fast we sportsmen jump to that conclussion, when was tha last time the firearms repossesion team showed up in your neighborhood. I am assuming it is happening a lot lately with all the paranoia I am reading on here.
Ahunter
hunter

Postby timpy » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:26 pm

Perception is reality and you said yourself that this is one of the largest, and possibly more influential, sporting shows in the US and certainly PA. What kind of message does it send when the vendor of said event bans a class merchandise from the enjoyment of others? That was the "reactionary" measure. Yes, no laws were being voted on at this event, but the intent of the policy change was very clear and injected politics where it did not belong. If I were to own a business and banned a demographic of people from coming in simply because I felt they were dangerous or caused more crime, that would be an issue. If I built a road and forbade certain vehicles from driving on it because I perceived them as threatening or unpopular, this would be an issue as well. The business owner is a servant of the consumer and in this case the consumer spoke. Obviously the response was large to make a business cancel a show that accounts for 1% total revenue after it loses its sponsors. This was a majority response in the demographic.
timpy
hunter

Postby tam9492 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:32 pm

So if they decided to not allow fly-fishing equipment/vendors to attend, no one should care?
tam9492
hunter

Postby Ahunter » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:39 pm

timp,
If you were to do all the things you mentioned wouldnt that be your decision in our freedom to do what you want society.

tam,
If they chose to ban fly fishing the I would assume fly fisherman would not show up, I do not believe however that the fly fisherman would have started a social media firestorm to cancel the show.
Ahunter
hunter

Postby timpy » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:26 am

As stated before, the exhibitor is subject to the demands, wants and needs of the consumers that buy their product. This is how all business works. It is their decision to include the exhibits they want, but the consumer rewards or punishes these choices. That is how the free market works and it worked in this instance. You chastise the opinions and efforts of those who opposed the exhibitors decision to ban "assault weapons" yet you fail to see that a business owner would not discontinue a product or service because a minority of their customers has an issue. They cancelled because their was an overwhelming outcry for a reverse in their actions. Not only did they ignore the backlash initially, but they would go on to rebut it despite the views of their customers and sponsors. This is bad business and they are free to conduct it, but it is the duty of the consumer to ensure that sub-par products, services or practices do not remain in the marketplace. So I guess the point that I am trying to get across to you, is that you can feel or say whatever you want about the issue, but clearly you are in the minority in this demographic or they would never have cancelled the event. You are free to express your opinions, but when you do so in a haughty or indignant way in clear opposition to a other members of these sports, then you are either looking to get a reaction out of people or you should structure your argument more appropriately.
timpy
hunter

Postby duckpond88 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:25 pm

I think it sucks that the canceled the show. All because they didn't allow a certain type of firearm that you can go to any gun shop and look at. I liked goin to the show because u had hundreds of outfitters under one roof that u could see their displays and talk to them In person and get all the info you need and could walk around all day doing it. If they would still have the show and no one decided to even have them type of weapons there no one would make a big deal about that it and no one would even care than. But now that put restrictions on a certin type of firearm every is blowing it out of perporation when y'all can drive To your local gun shop and see that stuff. And fishing really don't have anything to do with fire arms Wat about all the people that go there just for the fishing now the dont get to enjoy the show but no one cares about the people that went there for more than just the guns . They did not pass a law and ban them so why protest this and mess it up for every one. Why not just say hey I don't agree with this so I'm just not going to go. And than be done with it?
duckpond88
hunter

Postby duckpond88 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:35 pm

And what's so good about the show being canceled. How many outfitters depend on Clinets from this show to book hunts with them. How much income did they just loose and how will that affect their family's did any one ever think of that. But y'all did a good job getting the show canceled. Think about Wat they have to say to their kids when they ask for something and they have to say no to them because they don't have money because they were depending on this show for the income. But y'all don't care about none off that. So yeah good job fellas
duckpond88
hunter

Postby tam9492 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:20 pm

duckpond88 wrote:Why not just say hey I don't agree with this so I'm just not going to go.

That's all we threatened to do because we didn't have the opportunity to actually do it. So, you call us out for doing this, and then say it's what we should have done :huh: We didn't cancel it, Reeds did. Talk to them if you're so upset.
tam9492
hunter

Postby tam9492 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:22 pm

duckpond88 wrote:And what's so good about the show being canceled. How many outfitters depend on Clinets from this show to book hunts with them. How much income did they just loose and how will that affect their family's did any one ever think of that. But y'all did a good job getting the show canceled. Think about Wat they have to say to their kids when they ask for something and they have to say no to them because they don't have money because they were depending on this show for the income. But y'all don't care about none off that. So yeah good job fellas

Apparently it doesn't matter, as you can see the long list of them who CHOSE to back out.
tam9492
hunter

Postby Dr^ke » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:40 pm

duckpond88 wrote:And what's so good about the show being canceled. How many outfitters depend on Clinets from this show to book hunts with them. How much income did they just loose and how will that affect their family's did any one ever think of that. But y'all did a good job getting the show canceled. Think about Wat they have to say to their kids when they ask for something and they have to say no to them because they don't have money because they were depending on this show for the income. But y'all don't care about none off that. So yeah good job fellas

Would it have been better if they didn't cancel the show, have all the vendors loose the money they spent on the booth, travel expenses for the week, hotel expenses for the week, and food expenses for the week? Then after that have no one show up because they choose not to and didn't agree with Reed.Or, was it better that they cancelled the show, all the vendors get their money back, no money spent on travel,hotel, and food. Plus there has been an online website created for vendors to have a "virtual" show to sell their goods and hunts for the week. I think it was the best decision for them to cancel the show.
Dr^ke
hunter

Postby duckpond88 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:08 am

How would they have lost that money if the show was not canceled? They would have came, that would have been their own fault
duckpond88
hunter

Postby xxDuckWildxx » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:54 am

Duckpond, you're missing the point. Over 400 vendors VOLUNTARILY backed out. That means it was THEIR choice to stand up with us for our Second Amendment rights. No one is more upset about not being able to go to the show than me, but I WILL NOT support the antis. It seems like you're totally bent out of shape over not being able to go walk around a crowded expo hall for a day. There is much more at stake than one day of entertainment. You need to realize the only ones at fault are Reed Expo services. If they had not made the choice that they made on MSRs, nobody would've boycotted and we all would still be able to go enjoy the show. What we did was stand up for our rights, maybe we'll get a pro-gun group to run the show and we've showed the government just how passionate we all are about our rights. At least $50 million is lost from the local economy because of this and nothing gets the politicians' attention like $$$. It's a victory for Us, so I suggest you pick whose side you're on and if you're on gun owners/gun rights side stop whining
"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical"-Thomas Jefferson
xxDuckWildxx
hunter

Postby Ahunter » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:09 am

Drake,
You must be crazy to think that the vendors get there money back for cancelling, they backed out after the cut-off date for a refund from what I understand. The vendors backed out to stand in protest for what they believed to be the overwhelming majority of there clients/fans. I am willing to bet however that is not really the case, instead they listened to the only ones that stepped up on the soapbox to complain. The assault weapon crowd over-reacted and started a socila media frenzy that took on a life of its own and now there is no show, revenues are lost an some buisness' may even close there doors. A small price to pay for such a hardline stance on something that changed no laws or prevents anyone from aquiring there new assualt style sporting arm. What a wonderful victory we outdoorsmen scored against the man !
Ahunter
hunter

Postby tam9492 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:31 pm

Perhaps then, Ahunter, you should have voiced your opinion a little louder when it still mattered. Perhaps you did, but were a minority.
tam9492
hunter

Postby Boatman » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:39 pm

Some of you guys just don't get it,the anties just want to chip away at our rights. This year modern sporting rifles,next year all semiauto weapons,that is how they do it. We need to make a stand now not next year. If you like your rights taken away move to New York,they have taken away a shotgun with a pistol grip. THINK ABOUT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

NY State Gun Owners..lookout- its starting

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

on another forum this morning, a poster stated that a NY State Possum Cop took possession of a Legal AR at a state range and made the owner follow him to a State Police Barracks to verify the legality of the rifle and its muzzle breaks.

the man was detained for over an hour before being cut loose.

men.. you had better get involved. we are all in this. the fact that is was an AR is nothing. it was a rifle. no different than your Remington 742, or a semi auto shotgun.

Stand to together and get involved. Let there be no doubt that a lawman or woman will intervene on behalf of the state or feds, thats where their paycheck comes from. they are going to do it one state at a time. today NY, tommorrow CT or MD... working their way west.

bad times are ahead and our hobbies and way of life are under attack and so far we have shown minimal reaction to our elected leaders.

Join the NRA and the GOA today and go to your state rallies at your Capitol.

I love Geese

Genesis 27:3 Now then, get your weapons, quiver and bow, go out in the fields and hunt some wild game for me.
Boatman
hunter

Postby boney fingers » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:45 pm

The anti goal is to divide and conquer; the point of pulling out was to show that we as sportsman and women wont be divided. Does anyone actually believe the antis will be happy with just an assult weapon ban? The ban never worked before, so when the next tragedy
happens the antis will go after something else. If we allow this ban to happen then during the next round the semi auto people wont be their to support whichever segment of the industry is targeted next. If you have ever played dodge ball you should understand how divide and conquer works. Even if you dont own or shot AR style guns; you need to stand up and support those that do. The anti gun people have very close ties with the anti hunters; make no mistake about it.
boney fingers
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Pennsylvania Duck Hunting