Harrisburg Sports Show Bans Assault Weapons

A great state with a number of waterfowl. This Pennsylvania duck hunting forum is a great place to discuss hunting practices from all over the state.

Moderators: PADUCKSTUFFER, don taylor

Re: Harrisburg Sports Show Bans Assault Weapons

Postby timpy » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:18 pm

Boney has it right here. The fact of the matter is that people were concerned about the implications of moves like this on the future of firearms and citizens reacted. Celebrities and sponsors reacted as well. Reed had several weeks to change or amend their position and refused. Where is the outrage on this board towards Reed's decision to continue the ban despite fierce opposition? I don not own an "assault rifle", nor do I want one. I have no need for it and I don't like weapons that look the way they do. I do however, hunt everything I can and own an array of shotguns, pistols and sporting rifles. Many others like me have stood in opposition to this move regardless of our ownership of AR's because solidarity preserves rights. There is a show coming to Monroeville, PA that looks pretty good. If you were worries about missing an outdoor expo then you have another one available that isn't restricting vendors from what I hear.
timpy
hunter

Postby Ahunter » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:03 pm

Timpy,
The Monroeville Show is nowhere near the size or scope of the Harrisbug Show. So good luck finding 1/3 of the vendors/outfitters in attendance. I have been to the Moroeville show several times and the only waterfowl presence was Ducks Unlimited Forbes Trail Chapter. Comparing the 2 i not a fair comparison by any means.

Tam,
I voiced my opinion then and obviously to no avail. I still believe the minority was the winner here, I am willing to bet less than 100 of the proposed 1200 plus vendors were affected by the so called ban. Let us not forget the law was not at jeopardy here only a week long show, if you wanted to see or buy one of the banned weapons you could have drove a short distance to Cabelas or Bass Pro Shops and still purchased one, so banned from a show is not the ban you all see to be referring to.

To All The Protestors,
Unlawful Firearms & Devices: 1) Automatic and semi-automatic
(autoloading) rifl es and handguns; 2) air or gas operated rifles and
handguns

The above qoute is from PA's Hunting and Trapping Manual and it is a law so hopefully you will become so outraged that you will boycott hunting in our great state and those of us who dont mind can continue to enjoy the sport as it stands.
Ahunter
hunter

Postby tam9492 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:13 pm

There were a lot of vendors who have nothing to do with ARs that will be affected, but I would say a large majority of those that backed out by choice also have nothing to do with ARs. And the nearest Bass Pro or Cabela's to me is in Harrisburg, not that I want and AR anyway.
tam9492
hunter

Postby duckpond88 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:10 pm

They will never out law are hunting rifles or shot guns. The government would lose to much money from us sportsman. No guns. No hunting lots of money lost for the government it will never happen
duckpond88
hunter

Postby timpy » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:14 pm

I think the points have been made on both sides at this point. If you want to continue to rattle chains then fine, but after reviewing the posts over the last coupe days it seems that any concrete points and observations are being ignored anyway. If you want the show to go on then start your facebook/support Reed/ social media blitz. If you really are the majority as you purport to be then you should have no trouble drumming up enough support to encourage the show to go on. If you read the statement released by Reed's US manger he said that they are looking to just postpone it for now and hold it a little later so your efforts may speed it along.

One last comment that is politically charged so if you are offended by that stuff then quit reading. Someone said that the louder voices won this issue and not the majority. The liberals have been doing that to Americans were decades now, where they scream the loudest over a nativity scene, "God" in the pledge of allegiance, and putting yellow ribbons in public spaces. The majority disagrees with these kooks but they scream the loudest and use bully tactics to push their agenda. For once we decided to be the loud ones, so I guess they don't like the taste of their own medicine.

That's my rant and I'm sticking to it.
timpy
hunter

Postby Ahunter » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:08 pm

It wasn't about supporting Reed, they have been conducting this show for years and you supported it. It is about the happiness of a few at the expense of many. One thing dissallowed does not mean that next all things would have been dissalowed. It was a over-reaction by htose who believe that one thing being banned means everything would eventually be banned. It doesnt work that way and i dont believe anyone can site an example showing otherwise.

As I said previously, I can only hope that those of you that jumped on the boycott bandwagon take to boycotting hunting in our state since they banned these things long ago !
Ahunter
hunter

Postby Dr^ke » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:43 pm

Ahunter wrote:Drake,
You must be crazy to think that the vendors get there money back for cancelling, they backed out after the cut-off date for a refund from what I understand. The vendors backed out to stand in protest for what they believed to be the overwhelming majority of there clients/fans. I am willing to bet however that is not really the case, instead they listened to the only ones that stepped up on the soapbox to complain. The assault weapon crowd over-reacted and started a socila media frenzy that took on a life of its own and now there is no show, revenues are lost an some buisness' may even close there doors. A small price to pay for such a hardline stance on something that changed no laws or prevents anyone from aquiring there new assualt style sporting arm. What a wonderful victory we outdoorsmen scored against the man !

Reed cancelled the show what does that have to do with a cut off date? If you had tickets to a concert and they cancelled the show are you SOL because you missed the cut off date to sell back your tickets? You need to check your facts because Reed made an official statement and sent emails to vendors saying that vendors were getting refunded booth charges. I also know a few businesses with booths there and they also confirmed this. The real problem is going to be all the lawsuits Reed is going to have to deal with when vendors seek their travel expenses (airplane tickets) and hotel expenses from having to cancel them. The boycott page on Facebook also has links to attorneys who are gathering vendors to file a class action lawsuit.
Dr^ke
hunter

Postby timpy » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:20 pm

Here are just a few examples and I can go into great detail on each if you wish. It always starts with a little regulation and a little propaganda, and a little open actions against a group or idea. If you don't think that it can happen here then you are fooling yourself. It may not happen in the next ten or even fifty years, but standing up against any who can influence public opinion in a way to trivialize an important issue will ensure that it never happens. I have two degrees in political science and history, gun regulation always results in gun control, which always results in bans on groups of guns, which always results as a ban on firearms usually as a reaction to a propagandized incident.

Ottoman Turkey 1915-1917 Against the Armenians. Roughly 1-1.5 million killed. 1886-1911 Art. 166, Penal Code
Art. 166 Penal Code

Soviet Union 1929-1959 Against the Anti-Communists / Anti-Stalinists. Roughly 20 million killed. 1929Art. 182 Penal Code

Nazi Germany & Occupied Europe 1933-1945 Against the general population. Roughly 13 million died. 1928-1938 Law on Firearms & Ammunition, April 12 Weapons Law, March 18

China 1949-1952 1957-1960 1966-1976 Against general population, Anti- Communists Rural Populations Pro-Reform Groups. Nearly 20 million killed. 1935-1957 Arts. 186-7, Penal Code Art. 9, Security Law, Oct. 22

Guatemala 1960-1981 against the Maya Indian population. 100,000 killed. 1871-1964 Decree 36, Nov 25 Decree 283, Oct 27

Uganda 1971-1979 Christians Political Rivals 300,000 1955-1970 Firearms Ordinance Firearms Act

Cambodia 1975-1979 Educated Persons 1 million 1956 Arts. 322-8, Penal Code
timpy
hunter

Postby Ahunter » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:53 am

Drake,
If the vendor chose to withdrawal no refund will be granted. That is what I was told when inquiring about the cancellation with the vendors I know.

Timpy,
Thanks for taking the time to post your examples and the history lesson, food for thought for sure ! However I stand by my feelings that we (sportsmen in PA) lost here.
Ahunter
hunter

Postby don taylor » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:25 am

Because you can't use an AR in this state to hunt, we should be okay with a national ban? Because we can't hunt on Sunday, should we ban shooting of all guns on Sunday? Should concealed carry be illegal on Sunday? What about transporting a gun on Sunday, or buying a gun on Sunday? We can't hunt on Sunday, so what do we need them for on Sunday?

You can't apply the logic that because the PGC doesn't allow hunting that the gun has no value..

If you don't know the details of this ban, you need to read up on it. This bans the transfer of any gun with one military characteristic. You die, your son becomes a criminal unless he turns them in. Your pistol can accept a hi cap mag, so turn it in or esle.

There is no expiration on this, it's an attempt to phase out guns. This was all based on Sandy Hook, wasn't it? And an AR wasn't even used there? They went after the gun that wasn't used there, but you assume that your 870, which also wasn't used there, is safe?

I don't know about you, but I don't trust the feds one bit. They're a bunch of snakes.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Dr^ke » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:02 am

Ahunter wrote:Drake,
If the vendor chose to withdrawal no refund will be granted. That is what I was told when inquiring about the cancellation with the vendors I know.

Timpy,
Thanks for taking the time to post your examples and the history lesson, food for thought for sure ! However I stand by my feelings that we (sportsmen in PA) lost here.

If a vendor chose not to go and boycott the show their booth was already bought and paid for, they just weren't going to show up. They still paid. Now that Reed cancelled the entire show all vendors get their money back because who are they to say who wasn't coming and who was. Honestly, I don't know why I'm arguing with you. If you don't want to believe the facts I'm spitting you, do a little research and look it up yourself. Clearly you didn't talk to any vendors that were actually going or else they are seriously out of the loop because EVERY ONE got any email before Reed made the cancellation public that they would be getting booth refunds. Once again like I said earlier, we are past the booth money. The real issue is the lawsuits because the vendors have to deal with all their cancellation fees for other expenses.
Dr^ke
hunter

Postby Dr^ke » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:05 am

And isn't it odd that your first and only 7 posts are on this thread about gun control. I wouldn't be surprised if you were only here to try and stir things up.
Dr^ke
hunter

Postby don taylor » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:25 am

Dr^ke wrote:And isn't it odd that your first and only 7 posts are on this thread about gun control. I wouldn't be surprised if you were only here to try and stir things up.

Some people lurk, then a topic comes up the feel passionately about. If he was just stirring the pot, he wouldn't have acknowledged the history lesson as food for thought. At least IMO he wouldn't have. Anti's and biased people get bent and never agree to look at the past as examples.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby erp10 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:45 am

Ahunter wrote: However I stand by my feelings that we (sportsmen in PA) lost here.

What people tend to forget is that these "Evil Black Rifles" are sporting arms. You can go to many ranges around this state and others to watch competions with them. People shoot these guns in matches and three gun comps all the time. Just because they dont fit into the sport you do doesnt mean they dont fit into any sport at all. Second there are many outfitters that were going to attend this show that you could have used and AR style gun to hunt with in their state.
erp10
hunter

Postby minktrapper » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:07 am

The NRA is offering life memberships for $300 right now. 1-888-678-7894.

I have to say once again, after reading the posts on this thread, nothing frightens me more than a hunter who supports the banning of modern sporting rifles.
minktrapper
hunter

Postby smkndux » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:43 am

minktrapper wrote:The NRA is offering life memberships for $300 right now. 1-888-678-7894.

I have to say once again, after reading the posts on this thread, nothing frightens me more than a hunter who supports the banning of modern sporting rifles.

x 2 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
sent from my Styrofoam Cup with string attatched.
smkndux
hunter

Postby cthemfly25 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:41 am

smkndux wrote:
minktrapper wrote:The NRA is offering life memberships for $300 right now. 1-888-678-7894.

x 2 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

x3 :thumbsup:
cthemfly25
hunter

Previous

Return to Pennsylvania Duck Hunting