feb season

A great state with a number of waterfowl. This Pennsylvania duck hunting forum is a great place to discuss hunting practices from all over the state.

Moderators: PADUCKSTUFFER, don taylor

feb season

Postby scastle » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:41 pm

someone said that you all have a feb season on canada geese is this so
scastle
hunter

Re: feb season

Postby don novicki » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:17 pm

Not in the SJB zone, we are done today. This bites. We used to be able to go way until Feb but no now we stop in Jan. They couldn't even end the season on a Sat so we could get out one more time...... :mad:
don novicki
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:53 pm

I till have a season Don!!!! :grooving: :grooving: :grooving:
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby tsaylor1979 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:06 pm

Just the RP zone. Sounds good to me!
tsaylor1979
hunter

Postby don novicki » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:48 pm

I guess I'll have to bust over to eastern Erie County to do some damage. Don't have near the number of spots there that I have out here. The SJB zone sucks...................
don novicki
hunter

Postby smkndux » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:48 am

don novicki wrote:Not in the SJB zone, we are done today. This bites. We used to be able to go way until Feb but no now we stop in Jan. They couldn't even end the season on a Sat so we could get out one more time...... :mad:

SJB zone????? Really??? Has anyone that hunts this zone actually shot a banded goose from James Bay? This little corner of Pa. doesn't get chit for migrators. Pa. game commision is living in the past. :huh: :huh: :huh: They need to reinvent their zones and get with todays numbers. Are their ample numbers of geese in this zone ? Yes. Do 99% reside in NW Pa? Absolutely YES. Why have a special zone for these Canadian migrators when they don't even migrate thru this part of the State? What a joke.
sent from my Styrofoam Cup with string attatched.
smkndux
hunter

Postby don novicki » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:54 am

Everything about the NW Zone, the SJB Zone, and now the LEZ, suck's. They act like ALL we get thru here is SJB geese. Yes we get some. but I doubt very much that your average goose recognizes I-79 as a flight boundary. I think most geese do whatever the hell they want to do even though the PGC would have you believe all we get over here is SJB geese................
don novicki
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:03 am

Don, with this cold snap comming...hopefully lasting till after the Feb re-opener, I have a bunch of spots that MIGHT prove bountiful IF we can get all this small water frozen up around here and keep the birds roosted on the lake. Haven't seen a migrating bird in so lang I'm not sure I'd recognize a flock of geese in the air as it is any more... :no:
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby Spunky » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:42 am

They still come through just not the numbers that it once was. Shot a double band goose last year from SJB that was 5 years old, It was shot in the middle of January. It came from a place around Rice Lake. When I was a kid the family would drive up there for a fishing vacation.

The birds still come this way, just that with the way the weather has changed in the last 10-15 years they don't have to come down this far anymore. They get to NY or Lake Ontario and hold up and only come down when they absolutely have to. Saw some posts of a guy from Canada who was hunting swamps in Ontario just south of James Bay in December and from the pictures,the water was still open and no snow on the ground. Why would the birds migrate when they don't have to.

Either that or they just don't have their passport up to date and their not allowed into the country any more.
Spunky
hunter

Postby don taylor » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:32 am

I shoot SJB population birds every year down here and up there. You can pick them out, their bill is shorter than a resident goose. Obviously so. The thing is a large portion of the population comes through the NW zone. That's why you have a lower limit than the South zone as well and I don't think that is going to change. They tend to disperse after pymie, taking different corridors down to the Eastern shore. I count on these birds, they're the dummies that suck right in. You also have to consider they look at every bird hat gets shot in the blinds and L area. As long as they're seeing SJB birds, you're going to have a tough time contradicting their evidence.

What somebody brought up last year was they though the later in to February we ran, the more likely we'd shoot SJB birds heade North. I don't know if everybody else was looking, but i killed quite a few SJB birds mid february last year, more than I had been. New geese were showing up and they probably weren't just heading South by then.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby huntsem » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:14 pm

Allot of SJB geese remain in the NW Pa. and NE Ohio area late in the season and often don't migrate further south as long as they have some open water and food. For a couple of years Ohio had a Feb season in NE Ohio and I saw tons of smaller sized birds with orange neck bands. I suspect they were SJB geese. It was great hunting but that season didn't last very long. I suspect the wildlife managers gathered allot of late season SJB migration data from hunter harvests during that period.
huntsem
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:49 pm

smkndux wrote:
don novicki wrote:Not in the SJB zone, we are done today. This bites. We used to be able to go way until Feb but no now we stop in Jan. They couldn't even end the season on a Sat so we could get out one more time...... :mad:

SJB zone????? Really??? Has anyone that hunts this zone actually shot a banded goose from James Bay? This little corner of Pa. doesn't get chit for migrators. Pa. game commision is living in the past. :huh: :huh: :huh: They need to reinvent their zones and get with todays numbers. Are their ample numbers of geese in this zone ? Yes. Do 99% reside in NW Pa? Absolutely YES. Why have a special zone for these Canadian migrators when they don't even migrate thru this part of the State? What a joke.

We have shot 5 bands from that area over the past 3 seasons... just saying
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby don novicki » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:54 pm

Over on hunting pa.com South Zone guys are crying about the season ending too early. They should try living up here in the NW zone................................ :crying:
don novicki
hunter

Return to Pennsylvania Duck Hunting