possibly purchasing a home in eastern pa

A great state with a number of waterfowl. This Pennsylvania duck hunting forum is a great place to discuss hunting practices from all over the state.

Moderators: PADUCKSTUFFER, don taylor

possibly purchasing a home in eastern pa

Postby altrocker1 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:37 pm

hello all!

so due to an opportunity i wasn't expecting, i may be re locating to the east side of the country. i'm an avid fowler from iowa, but a job opportunity popped up for me in new york city that is very appealing. basically the only way i could tolerate it would be to purchase a house in eastern pa and rent a small apartment in nyc (have a friend who has one available for me). i travel to that part of the country frequently, so i am very familiar with the dynamics of the city and some of the ins and outs of travelling between the city and pa...however, i would have some time off and a lot of weekends to spend fowling and working on projects around the house. my wife would be travelling with me and probably working in the city as well. we woudn't need much for a home, and in fact garage space would be the most important!

my main concern would be places in pa, or even jersey that would be 3 hours or less from new york (i also realize 3 hours can be 5 some days :)) is it possible to find a place that is in a safe area (house would be un attended at times during the week) with decent waterfowl hunting that is within a reasonable drive. i don't need the names of any honey holes, but im just curious about migration routes, public hunting etc. i will certainly put my time in trying to find fields and private land as well. i will also be bringing my boat with me...i would prefer not to live in town, since im sure i will get enough city during the work week :)

this isn't a done deal, i'll be more than happy to stay in iowa if i have to, but the money is pretty good and could offer myself and my wife opportunities that we haven't had available to us in the past

thanks all!
altrocker1
hunter

Re: possibly purchasing a home in eastern pa

Postby tsaylor1979 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:30 am

I live in central PA, so I can't speak about the area you are looking at very well. However, just my hunch that the Delaware River would probably provide some opportunities for ducks and geese. Also For geese I would look at cornfields around where you end up living, just like Iowa but with hills.
tsaylor1979
hunter

Postby BobF » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:44 am

I'm in eastern Pa and usually end up doing 95% of my duck hunting on the Susquehanna River and goose hunting split between the river and farmers fields.

sent from my S III using TapaTalk
BobF
hunter

Postby dgram36 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:17 am

I'm just across the Delaware river in New Jersey and just moved here two years ago. In my short experience here I have found that there are very good waterfowl opportunities, especially if you are willing to purchase both a Penn and New Jersey license. There is a fair amount of public land hunting here in Jersey on the Delaware River and even better hunting in the coastal marshes. You just have to be willing to drive some and also willing to see other people because there are plenty of hunters. As far as field hunting goes, with a fair amount of scouting and knocking on doors you can find descent spots. The resident geese here have it figured out pretty well. Parks and golf courses for the most part. If you try to run traffic on them you might kill some juvenile birds but decoying the residents is tough unless you are where they want to land. Once the migration kicks in you can do really well in the corn. Good luck to you, and if you can put up with working and commuting to the city, then you're doing better than me. I'd rather drink turpentine and piss on a brush fire.
dgram36
hunter

Postby don taylor » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:11 am

That whole area is controlled by the Amish mafia. Nowhere is safe, unless you are too far from the stables and the horse's food.

It's not bad there, I agree with the NJ license. NY is pretty decent, too. Long Island has great gunning along with the finger lakes region. That's a pretty good corner to be on.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby altrocker1 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:54 am

actually my wife is from western ny so i usually get a ny license anyway to do some duckin when we are home for thanksgiving. i looked at the nj lic and it seems like it would be a smart idea anyway if im going to try hunting the deleware river at all.

not knowing anything about the deleware or susquenanna river, how accessible are they by boat? i have a 16 ft lowe big jon that i use as a duck boat, but the rivers here are obviously very different.

we also haven't ruled out the possibility of buying some land in jersey close to the river and building a house...there isn't a ton of land to choose from, but its there if you look for it. i actually found a parcel close to the river with 5 acres of wetland. it would take some work to build a house on it, but i don't mind work :)

i have an interview next week, regardless i am seriously contemplating the move.
altrocker1
hunter

Postby dgram36 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:24 pm

altrocker1 wrote:not knowing anything about the deleware or susquenanna river, how accessible are they by boat? i have a 16 ft lowe big jon that i use as a duck boat, but the rivers here are obviously very different

I can't speak for the Susquehanna but in my experience the Delaware seems to be pretty accessible. I don't think you'll have a problem with a 16ft John, I have seen many people out there with the same or less. There are plenty more experienced boaters on here though, who could answer better than me. Again I've only been hunting here for two years. PM me before next fall and ill help you get started, maybe show you a few spots. I know how much of a pain It can be to get going in a new area.
dgram36
hunter

Postby kylearthur18 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:33 pm

hey im new to this site. I live on the southern tip of berks county any youre not gonna find better goose hunting than berks/lancaster/chester counties. we hunt farms, creeks, and ponds for geese. usually well kill mallards in the morning then switch the set and kill geese later.
kylearthur18
Newb

Postby BobF » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:04 pm

The Susquehanna has a decent amount of public launches.

sent from my S III using TapaTalk
BobF
hunter

Postby altrocker1 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:59 pm

so...i have a meeting on tuesday to discuss the job, should know more after that. regardless of where we wind up living, i will be hunting eastern pa and western jersey for sure if we are out east next fall
altrocker1
hunter

Postby dgram36 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:48 pm

altrocker1 wrote:so...i have a meeting on tuesday to discuss the job, should know more after that. regardless of where we wind up living, i will be hunting eastern pa and western jersey for sure if we are out east next fall

Good luck!
dgram36
hunter

Postby altrocker1 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:02 am

well its official! accepted the job last week...we move as of march 11th. got a lot to do!
altrocker1
hunter

Postby dgram36 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:38 am

Congrats man, good luck with the move!
dgram36
hunter

Postby Wobbling Wings Waterfowling » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:17 pm

Congrats bud... welcome to the PA GRINDDDD!!!!!
Wobbling Wings Waterfowling
hunter

Return to Pennsylvania Duck Hunting