Gas drilling on Game Lands

A great state with a number of waterfowl. This Pennsylvania duck hunting forum is a great place to discuss hunting practices from all over the state.

Moderators: PADUCKSTUFFER, don taylor

Gas drilling on Game Lands

Postby Spunky » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:51 am

Spunky
hunter

Re: Gas drilling on Game Lands

Postby don taylor » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:24 am

I don't have a problem with this, the money supports more gamelands and the PGC.

My problem is the PGC and the fish commission and spending. They have little or no oversight.

For example, the fish commission has to trim 9.1 million dollars in the next 3 years. The victim? The trout program. 700,000 less trout will be stocked, 2 hatcheries will close. Tell me again about why we needed a trout stamp? To prop up the rest of the fish commission, I suppose.

In this, no state employees will lose their jobs, they won't be cutting overhead that way.

Funny, the reason they need to make these cuts is because of the pay, pension and benefit packages those same employees are contracted to receive.

Also, in order to save a cool MILLION dollars, the fish commission stopped recruiting the next class of fish cops. 13 of them. We train 13 recruits for a million dollars? That's it?

The whole system needs oversight, both fish and game. The use of the word 'incidentals' in the description of where the gas money will go is way, way too open ended for me.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby OmegaRed » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:42 am

I've been heavily involved in the gas discussion in the past few years. As Don mentioned, there is a lack of oversight in most areas of gas drilling. As far as game lands are involved...the value is in the land, which in turns creates habitat and holds game. If the land turns to trash, the entire value of the land is null.

I'm not specifically familiar with PA drilling, but I do know it's been happening for some time. Most of the time what we see in the infancy of drilling in unfamiliar states is the legislation is not up to snuff. And obv. the gas companies known that. They are there to make money. They will operate at the lowest operating cost as possible to turn the largest profit. A lot of times, especially in small towns, the infrastructure is not in place to support increased water usage, increased heavy traffic on roads, lodging etc. An evolution of pricing comes about, because young, single 30 something year olds making $35 an hr spend differently than the same person making $18 and having 2 kids. Road ways are destroyed with no language holding the gas companies liable to repair or upkeep. Water tables are effected.

And this doesn't even scratch the aspect of monitoring the physical well.

And getting into how government budgets and allocates funds...well I don't have enough time to talk about that. But there are some definite efficiencies that could be achieved through a simple audit / freshen up. But no one wants to ruffle feathers or put people out of a job.
I just pooped my pants.
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby don taylor » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:37 am

I said there isn't enough oversight in the PGC, not in gas drilling. Pa was one of the first states to allow drilling, one of the nations first oil wells is located in Murrysville, Pa. We only recently started to take avantage of our natural resources and often, gas and oil companies donate land back to the state for new game lands. I have yet to see any gamelands trashed due to drilling and i personally welcome things like logging and road cutting in the SGL. Old growth forests only support certain species and with the decline in small , diverisfied farming, our landscape is becoming two dimensional. Old growth forests and massive stretches of grain crops. Turkey flourish, quail and grouse suffer.

We always come out ahead of the situation and damage from mining is not so much of an issue like it was. Now, we're cleaning up AMD from mining operations 50 years ago, like the project I helped on Blackleggs creek.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby PSUbuzz » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:17 am

There has been drilling for years on gamelands up in clarion, elk, forest counties. For as long as I can remember (Im only 27 so dont go thinking im an old timer :biggrin: ) going to my cabin outside Marienville, there have been wells along Spring Creek and back on SGLs in the area. Also in some of the game lands ive rabbit and turkey hunted on outside Clarion, theres been wells for at least 7 or 8 years. Theyve been out there, not a lot of them, but maybe theyre just publicizing it now because they are planning to increase the amount of drilling. It could boost economy for some of those tiny rural towns and like Don said, some of those old growth forests dont support a lot of wildlife anymore. Could be a good thing, but I also can see where it could lead to some misguided spending from PGC. We can hope for the best which would be more game land real estate purchased, drilling companies that are responsible, clean, and replant new habitat for wildlife. More officers to patrol the state. Money to keep hatcheries open. Who knows, time will tell fellas
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby cthemfly25 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:17 pm

don taylor wrote:I don't have a problem with this, the money supports more gamelands and the PGC.

My problem is the PGC and the fish commission and spending. They have little or no oversight.

For example, the fish commission has to trim 9.1 million dollars in the next 3 years. The victim? The trout program. 700,000 less trout will be stocked, 2 hatcheries will close. Tell me again about why we needed a trout stamp? To prop up the rest of the fish commission, I suppose.

In this, no state employees will lose their jobs, they won't be cutting overhead that way.

Funny, the reason they need to make these cuts is because of the pay, pension and benefit packages those same employees are contracted to receive.

Also, in order to save a cool MILLION dollars, the fish commission stopped recruiting the next class of fish cops. 13 of them. We train 13 recruits for a million dollars? That's it?

The whole system needs oversight, both fish and game. The use of the word 'incidentals' in the description of where the gas money will go is way, way too open ended for me.

Good points.
cthemfly25
hunter

Postby OmegaRed » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:23 pm

don taylor wrote:I said there isn't enough oversight in the PGC, not in gas drilling. Pa was one of the first states to allow drilling, one of the nations first oil wells is located in Murrysville, Pa. We only recently started to take avantage of our natural resources and often, gas and oil companies donate land back to the state for new game lands. I have yet to see any gamelands trashed due to drilling and i personally welcome things like logging and road cutting in the SGL. Old growth forests only support certain species and with the decline in small , diverisfied farming, our landscape is becoming two dimensional. Old growth forests and massive stretches of grain crops. Turkey flourish, quail and grouse suffer.

We always come out ahead of the situation and damage from mining is not so much of an issue like it was. Now, we're cleaning up AMD from mining operations 50 years ago, like the project I helped on Blackleggs creek.

I misread. I agree about old growth thought. There needs to have some mangement done.
I just pooped my pants.
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby boney fingers » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:08 pm

Fact is we as a country need the energy. If were talking deep gas, one well pad will harvest gas from 1000 or more acres; much less distubance than shallow wells. At the current lease rates, the PGC could roll that into a fund and triple the acres they now have not to mention royalty payments. Unfortunatly it more likly result in newer SUVs and more bennies for WCOs. As far as impact; Ive watched the deer grazing the freshly seeded grass from the well sites while ton af activity is going on. Should be a win win for everybody.
boney fingers
hunter

Return to Pennsylvania Duck Hunting