Duck Hunting Forum banner

Well the ducks showed up

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  PSUbuzz 
#1 ·
Went out goose hunting last Friday and the ducks were there by the hundreds. For the second year in a row I have witnessed this happen in late season goose. There were tons of mallards blacks and pintails. I have never had a pintail in shooting range during the season but plenty buzzed the goose decoys on Friday. I wish the PGC could issue a late season duck tag. Just one bird, I would pay for it.

#2 ·
Fed law says we can't shoot any past Jan 26th, I think. Late January, for sure. I don't know if they're headed North or South for sure, but I saw a flock of Wigeon up close that had several wall worthy drakes Saturday.

I'd pay for a extended season duck tag myself.

#4 ·
tsaylor1979 said:
I would love to get into those ducks, but at the same time I know they are going north to lay eggs. I don't really think it would be good in the long run.[/quot

Explain what difference that would make,same hens going south end up going north.

#6 ·
Boatman said:
tsaylor1979 said:
I would love to get into those ducks, but at the same time I know they are going north to lay eggs. I don't really think it would be good in the long run.[/quot

Explain what difference that would make,same hens going south end up going north.
How I've come to understand it, explained by a man smarter than me, is that a duck's body weight goes neutral on or around Jan 5. As the spring wears on, any further strain on is harmful to nesting success. The later we hunt, the less likely suzie has a good hatch. It's the same logic that doesn't allow a spring season, but it kicks in earlier than most people would expect.

#7 ·
Andy is smarter than me too! But even without any hunting pressure the ducks body weight is neutral around that January 5th date. Adding 10 shooting days to PA's South Zone duck season probably doesn't hurt a thing.
Until the Feds cut back the ending date for the season, I say we go with the Federal dates.
After all, the Feds probably have more info than anyone at the State level.

What about the North Zone for duck hunting, when would you Gents think is a good end date?

#8 ·
don taylor said:
Boatman said:
tsaylor1979 said:

How I've come to understand it, explained by a man smarter than me, is that a duck's body weight goes neutral on or around Jan 5. As the spring wears on, any further strain on is harmful to nesting success. The later we hunt, the less likely suzie has a good hatch. It's the same logic that doesn't allow a spring season, but it kicks in earlier than most people would expect.
I have heard the same about nuetral body weight. I also start looking at the ducks post season as "the ones that will be nesting this year and bringing more with them next year". Same with geese, at the end of Feb, the birds that still stick around hand out at my place and pair up. I have 7 nice size ponds on my property, which basically entails a heck of a September spot. So when yyou miss a pair of geese that should have died in the dekes tomorrow, instead of swearing at them, tell your buddy in the next blind that you let those ones get away so they could bring a dozen more next year :hi:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.