New to duck hunting

A great state with a number of waterfowl. This Pennsylvania duck hunting forum is a great place to discuss hunting practices from all over the state.

Moderators: PADUCKSTUFFER, don taylor

New to duck hunting

Postby Waynedawg » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:50 pm

:help:
Hi everyone. I'm just starting duck hunting. I've deer hunted and coon hunting in sc . But never duck. I've always wanted to and the time is right. I live near Latrobe pa and any helpful hints and advice would been great. Also if there is anyone near me that I could hook up with that would be great. Thanks for all help.
Waynedawg
hunter

Re: New to duck hunting

Postby quackmaster4 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:53 am

The best advice I can give you is to get out and look for ducks. This time of year is a great time to watch and learn. Pay attention to the areas you see them in different types of weather, what the different ducks look like when flying and sitting, and how they interact with each other. If you can, take some pictures and try to let your decoy set-ups look like that once you are actually hunting. As hunting season approaches, you will need to figure out where they are hanging out and/or eating. Hopefully you might be able to hook up with someone from your area. Just remember, the ABSOLUTE worst thing you can do is screw somebody over who might be nice enough to take you to one of their spots. Good luck!
I wanna die in my sleep like my grandpa did.
(not yelling and screaming like everybody in the car with him)
quackmaster4
hunter

Postby Waynedawg » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:04 am

Thanks for the advice . I'll get out and start scouting as soon as poss. Can you hunt at any of the state parks that have lakes here in pa ?
Waynedawg
hunter

Postby Waynedawg » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:42 am

Has anyone ever hunted yough lake area ?
Waynedawg
hunter

Postby don taylor » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:29 am

The yough area tends to hold some resident birds early on, but it's not exactly in a flyway where you'll see migrating birds in season. Many of the areas out there and state parks are hit and miss type of spots. If you want to hunt close to home, scouting before and during the season will be critical. Resident geese should be a target, there are some out that way to hunt. Keep in mind what you see them do now and where you see young during the season isn't likely where you'll see them after the young take flight. Finding where they roost is okay, but is short lived success. They'll be wise after one or two hunts. You need to find where they feed. Be it geese in a field or ducks in a pond.

Good luck.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Waynedawg » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:38 am

Tks for the advice don. I was also thinking about loyhanna lake do you know anything about that one ?
Waynedawg
hunter

Postby don taylor » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:36 am

Same deal, in general. Loyalhanna will hold some residents, but there are guys who will be there on the opener to kill them or run them off. Same with the conemaugh river. It runs from Johnstown until almost Saltsburg and has some resident wood ducks and lots of rural stretches. If you want to be productive, get out the paddle and the canoe and start scouting it the last 2 weeks of September. You'll only get one or two good days, but you might be a little more lucky if you search the stretches that move away from the ramps and the roads. The easier it is to access, the more competition you'll see for those few birds.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Pennsylvania Duck Hunting