Widgeons

A great state with a number of waterfowl. This Pennsylvania duck hunting forum is a great place to discuss hunting practices from all over the state.

Moderators: PADUCKSTUFFER, don taylor

Widgeons

Postby Dallashunter » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:59 pm

took a walk out to my hunting spot to show my buddy and walked up and had 11 widgeons sitting in the hole, just thought i'd let everyone know theres some widgeons flying around!
Dallashunter
hunter

Re: Widgeons

Postby don taylor » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:35 am

I'll be looking for them on October 5th, 7th and 8th.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Dallashunter » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:58 pm

Better hope they decide to come back! Mostly healthy Drakes, i only noticed maybe three hens, the hole is usually coated with mallards and blacks but the widgeons were a nice suprise!
Dallashunter
hunter

Postby don taylor » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:37 am

We've been killing them during the opener for a few years now in the NW zone. I had a long dry spell on them, but they can be found.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby don taylor » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:44 am

291727_299899963359918_801357147_n.jpg
I didn't score a drake, but I got her on the opener 2 seasons ago. We dropped 5 as a group, one is on my buddy's wall. She was very nice and was almost my 2nd hen for the wall.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Dallashunter » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:11 pm

im up in the NE corner and these are the first i've ever seen! just got some new property to hunt that looks like it will hold them, i've never shot one! i probably would have put the hen on the wall! good looking bird!!
Dallashunter
hunter

Postby don taylor » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:37 am

2012-12-02_09-38-10_183.jpg
There are some that fly around every year at Pymatuning, it's just a matter of picking the hot spots for them. I have a spot that is known to kick out a pintail or two on the opener. We're supposed to get a migration thru W.Pa and Ohio according to the DU migration map for them. I until a few years ago, we rarely had shot them, I never did. Times change, old spots get abandoned, new or in my case, even older spots my family hunted 60 years ago were refound. Here's a pic of my buddies drake. He needed more white, but for how often they do come in, I wouldn't let him not mount it. Credit goes to forum member XWX, it's on his wall. Tim Schloss mounted him up.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby don taylor » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:45 am

I looked at that pic and remembered the way the light hit the birds head, it didn't show the green. It wasn't in full breeding plumage at the time, but that's a terrible pic and it doesn't do the mount or the bird justice.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Dallashunter » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:05 am

Still an awesome looking bird! i shot a really nice drake black duck this year and thought about getting that mounted! Shot it bright and early five minutes after legal shooting hours
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (47.41 KiB) Viewed 689 times
Dallashunter
hunter

Postby jerseydutch » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:40 am

That's not a bad looking early season bird Don. Kudos to the taxi. I caught two stud drakes while black duck banding this winter. I have yet to pull the trigger on one though :fingerhead:

Last season my brother said he thought he found a wigeon hole based off of speculation but didn't get have a chance to scout it. Ask if I wanted to go in blind and hunt with him. I passed it up to chase buffleheads in the bay with a friend I haven't hunted with in a while. He doubled on a group of drakes and has yet to let me live that one down.
jerseydutch
hunter

Postby don taylor » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:19 am

One of the guys here got into some pintails last year in December. Wanna take bets that we scout that area this year for late season? I've found out over the years you'll see the same species in the same spots year after year around the same time. Gadwalls are the same way. Around the same time every year for many years, I can bet on shooting a few gaddies in this one spot I hunt. Go back next year, you'll see them again.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby jerseydutch » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:21 pm

don taylor wrote:One of the guys here got into some pintails last year in December. Wanna take bets that we scout that area this year for late season? I've found out over the years you'll see the same species in the same spots year after year around the same time. Gadwalls are the same way. Around the same time every year for many years, I can bet on shooting a few gaddies in this one spot I hunt. Go back next year, you'll see them again.

Spot on don. We have spots we see pintail everyseason, and a few ponds that we see ringnecks that show up every season during the last week of our nj south Zone.

That is the love/hate thing about hunting up north in the atlantic flyway though. You find x species here during x time, u species here during u time, ect. It is cool because if you want to shoot as many different species as possible every year like I do, you find yourself in a lot of different areas and have a lot of hunting spots. On the flip side, the guys down south at the bottom of the major flyways can go out in one spot and average 4-8 different species a hunt (per group) if they want to. That makes me jealous! :biggrin: Even some guys at the bottom of our flyway in major wintering areas (chesapeake bay, palimaco sound) can go out and shoot cans, reds, broadies, mallards, pintails, wigeon, ect out of the same blind. And that makes me salivate.
jerseydutch
hunter

Return to Pennsylvania Duck Hunting