new to chat forum...looking for info on lake erie divers

A great state with a number of waterfowl. This Pennsylvania duck hunting forum is a great place to discuss hunting practices from all over the state.

Moderators: PADUCKSTUFFER, don taylor

new to chat forum...looking for info on lake erie divers

Postby nctaxi » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:44 pm

nc guy here looking to find a guide on lake erie to hunt divers....redheads , golden eyes , etc...anybody know a good guide?
nctaxi
hunter

Re: new to chat forum...looking for info on lake erie divers

Postby don taylor » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:36 am

I don't know of any guides that operate out of Erie, Pa and the few I've heard of that operate out of Ohio i couldn't recommend. I don't know anything about them. With how unpredictable the weather has been, booking a diver hunt when somebody 'thinks' they'll be down is nuts. We won't even plan a day up there more than a few days in advance, let alone pay for a day months out. Any guide that would book a diver hunt on Erie expecting a day to be hot is out for your $$$, no doubt.

Erie isn't exactly a super hot spot for redheads and goldeneyes, either. That's the staple birds of Lake Ontario and the finger lakes, where broadies and buffies seem to be our common birds, along with a million mergansers. You can have a nice mixed bag on Erie some days, scoring a sea duck and some other birds like Ruddy's isn't uncommon... but if you're looking to fill a spot on the wall with a GE or RH, you're not upping the odds heading out on Erie from PI.

I wish I could afford to run a guide business. If I ever hit the lottery....
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Mr.Pymatuning » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:20 pm

Don, hit that about head on. I hunt the lake 3-4 days a week and would not recommend driving a ways to come up and hunt unless you can plan it a day or two in advance, everything is so hit or miss with birds.
Mr.Pymatuning
DHC Sponsor

Postby nctaxi » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:22 am

thanks guys....think i am going to hunt finger lakes in NY instead...hearing better things about that area.
nctaxi
hunter

Postby Mr.Pymatuning » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:37 am

Yeah, I would pick there over Erie. We hunt up that way once in awhile and the hunting is consistently better than Erie.
Mr.Pymatuning
DHC Sponsor

Postby jerseydutch » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:00 pm

For redheads you would be better off staying down in NC, next bet would be chesapeake bay, if you are staying in atlantic flyway. I heard some really good things about upstate NY for eyes, I can't remember the name of the outfit though. A guy I was working with said they had spectacular goldeneye hunts up there.
jerseydutch
hunter

Postby don taylor » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:44 am

I'm pretty sure that redheads are a commonly shot bird there, After talking to a guide and seeing pics from last season, FL NY was one of the places we considered for the wounded soldier hunt we're going on. They choose snows, so we're not going to NY, but it was a definite option. Goldeneyes are common there too.I don't have any personal experience there, but the pics don't lie.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby nctaxi » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:54 pm

the last couple years the redheads have been scattered here in NC....i have hunted the east coast from one end to the other and cannot seem to get a good stud redhead......If i get him in NY that would be great but, i am mainly going in search of the goldeneyes and any other birds will be treated as a bonus....The guide i am going with said there were redheads there last year all winter but thats all i have to go by...one thing for sure.....come Jan. 2014 i will be able to answer all your questions regarding NY finger lakes region... :thumbsup:
nctaxi
hunter

Return to Pennsylvania Duck Hunting