Getting pretty slow around here.

A great state with a number of waterfowl. This Pennsylvania duck hunting forum is a great place to discuss hunting practices from all over the state.

Moderators: PADUCKSTUFFER, don taylor

Getting pretty slow around here.

Postby don taylor » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:43 am

Gun laws?. The NRA picking up the ESOS out in Harrisburg? How about NY searching medical records to start gun confiscations? Boston? Foreigner, leftie or right winger? Anybody catching trout? Taking kids out? Buying anything for next season? Checking woodie boxes? Dogs?
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Re: Getting pretty slow around here.

Postby pelletslinger25 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:05 am

We were able to catch some good trout yesterday including some nice breeders. Opening weekend was a waste. buffalo creek was so fast and high u couldnt keep ur bait on the bottom and it was to muddy to use spinners. The place we went yesterday was loaded. i heard they stocked over 2200 trout in the lake and thats not including what they stocked in october. It was also great bacause i got to check out some possible hunting areas that ive been wondering about and it looks promissing. Still waitng on my boat plans to get here to start my Hybrid build. So just waiting around and gettin ready for turkey season.
pelletslinger25
hunter

Postby erp10 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:36 am

I just ordered a four rivers ebads and stumpjumper mud motor. I'll put up pics when they all get here.
erp10
hunter

Postby don novicki » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:59 am

Gearing up for Saskatchewan this season, would like to build another layout boat if I can make time and that's about it. You don't have to do too much to get ready for the crappy seasons we have had the last 2 years. If it's like this again this season I think I'm going to take up archery. One last thing, I am going to start drafting my letter to the PGC regarding the NW Zone and the dates, which still have me pissed off from last year............... :mad:
don novicki
hunter

Postby erp10 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:01 pm

Seems like the NW zone finished the season just when it started to get good for us. I live close enough to I80 that I can hunt the north and south zone.
erp10
hunter

Postby Riverridge » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:19 pm

I am looking forward to participating with my NAVHDA chapter at the Westmoreland county youth day (Keystone State Park) the first Sunday in May (our third year participating). The kids especially love to throw retrieving dummies to dogs.(water retrieves).
Riverridge
hunter

Postby tsaylor1979 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:37 pm

Spent March doing some pheasant hunting at Martz with my Dad and his dogs. Now I've been buying, selling , and trading calls like a call hoe should. Other than that working, applying for new jobs, and raising a four month old is keeping me busy.

Hope all is well in western PA.
tsaylor1979
hunter

Postby don taylor » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:57 am

Well, looking at the calendar, we've got 136 or so days until goose season, 10 pay days. I need a second job just to pay for everything I need. Gloves, waders and other stufff wore out at the end of the season last year and I just made due.

I've got a new boat I'm working on. I need my cousin to clear some space on his schedule and rip down the motor. It runs fine, ubut I'd rather have it fresh for the season and the summer warmth to test it in.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby pelletslinger25 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:40 am

Don did u ever get any wounded vet nominies for that hunt?
pelletslinger25
hunter

Postby don taylor » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:46 am

Yes, we did. Two guys from the area. One of them lost a leg and the other has pretty serious hearing damage, both caused by IED's.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby pelletslinger25 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:00 am

Thats great im glad Delta is going to be able to do that for them. When is that hunt? I def want to see some pics and updates on how it goes.
pelletslinger25
hunter

Postby don novicki » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:34 am

I'd be glad to donate to that hunt Don, Cash, ammo, whatever else I could help with. Let me know, and I'm betting a lot of guys here would do the same....
don novicki
hunter

Postby jerseydutch » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:15 pm

If there was a like button on here I would have clicked it for the four rivers and stumpjumper purchase....should be a nice little puddle duck rig.

I just bought two doz Big Al's lesser silos. They are having a spring sale. Not a bad looking decoy. I don't have any rg pro series to compare in terms of shine but I like the looks of 'em. The lessers are the same size as my home made silos, plus a little cheaper so I pulled the trigger on them. I like flat decoys. I have home made canada and snow goose, brant, and teal silos. I am not done the teal but plan to make v boards out of them. Have a few places in mind to do a big teal set.
jerseydutch
hunter

Postby Double Shorthair » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:44 pm

All of the following around here, haha

Trout fishing
Working on sanding and painting boat
Re rigging dekes
Work and school
Scouting for turkeys
Watching some ducks and geese on a nearby pond
And the main thing im doing would be praying duck season is almost here.

Here's a picture of a few of the green wings a drake gadwall and a drake ring neck duck i took with my phone...
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Double Shorthair
hunter

Postby don taylor » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:38 pm

pelletslinger25 wrote:Thats great im glad Delta is going to be able to do that for them. When is that hunt? I def want to see some pics and updates on how it goes.

Delta has nothing to do with it, really. We're flying it under the Delta flag, but the whole event is John and my idea. Delta charters don't allow for us to spend $ on these types of things. We're going to solicite outside of supermarkets for donations, I've been hitting up people for sponsorship, trying to locate the soldiers, setting it up with the guide, it's been pretty much just me, up until this point.

If anybody wants to donate, PM me. Surprisingly enough, I've gotten very little response. Sponsors like Final Glide, Final Destination, Bettis custom calls all jumped on board with excellent donations. We've got a few others who are going to contribute cash... Our problem is involvement. People want to just come to these things and and have them be great events. Very few want to get the word out, I've gotten no PM's about raising money or getting involved in any way by anybody local. It's not a guilt trip I'm laying on you guys, but I am. We need help. We need people to come to the shoot and bid on the items being donated.

August 17th. Noon. West Penn sportsmans club. Come out. Tell people you know. Clay busters, hunters, ex military. Help us help them.

Don, thanks for the offer. Anything you'd do would be appreciated. Most of the items for the hunt, like ammo, is being sponsored. HOPEFULLY. We need items to auction off for other expenditures, likke the hotel room, food, gas.

I was also thinking about getting them a snow goose call and getting it engraved. Just as a memento and an extra Thank You.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby timpy » Fri May 03, 2013 11:35 pm

Training the dog in the off-season. I just bought a new duck call that should be here in the next week or so. I have been making decoys too, so my second season should be more successful than the first if everything goes well.
timpy
hunter

Postby FullandFuller » Thu May 09, 2013 9:53 pm

Got a Springer pup last year and am trying to get her up to speed. And shooting lots and lots of carp since Feb. The real ones, not the aerial version.
bmoy1920 wrote:LOVE Giada!! I would love to use my pass on her!

FullandFuller
hunter

Postby Coleman24 » Sun May 12, 2013 8:22 am

Don, finally got to meet up with all the Delta guys down at Havre de Grace. It was an awesome little trip down there. And we plan on meeting up this week with some locals, and starting from there. I'm still working on gathering local Delta chapters banquet dates, I'd like to plan ours with respect to the already up and running chapters.

But you're right, it is awfully slow around here? Can't wait for the season, this waterfowl withdrawal is getting the better of me.
Coleman24
hunter

Postby don taylor » Mon May 13, 2013 9:58 am

I'm pretty sure that Lancaster is Feb 1 and our banquet is Mar 1. They don't have to worry about RP goose season like we do, but we still want to sell tickets while guys are hunting. Matt, shawn and those guys are good guys in my book,. Chris Williams I'm proud to call my friend as well. The Delta Pa crew is full of my kind of people. Honest, hard working and dedicated.

F and F, I miss my springer. She was so smart, scary smart. She makes every other dog I've worked with seem dense. Good luck, I'm sure you're having a good time with a springer's drive and motivation.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby erp10 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:31 pm

Just got the email yesterday that he is coming home.
Attachments
widgeon-stand.jpg
erp10
hunter

Postby don taylor » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:44 am

Fantastic. But, that's typical for birdman studios. One of my favorite species for sure.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby erp10 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:23 pm

He isn't a full prime bird but it was my first widgeon and only widgeon I have had a chance at. We dont see to many in season were I hunt.
erp10
hunter

Return to Pennsylvania Duck Hunting