Sporting Ammo/ Michigan

A great state with a number of waterfowl. This Pennsylvania duck hunting forum is a great place to discuss hunting practices from all over the state.

Moderators: PADUCKSTUFFER, don taylor

Sporting Ammo/ Michigan

Postby don novicki » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:00 am

Anyone else use their ammo? The stuff is quality IMO and blisteringly fast to boot. It also is comparably priced I think, with most other high end steel and the shot size selection is unreal.......
don novicki
hunter

Re: Sporting Ammo/ Michigan

Postby don taylor » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:33 am

I don't like the seal on reloads. One too many duds and miss fires on birds and one scary one pretty much put an end to me using reloads over water or in the rain. It's just not worth it. I'm also a fan of payload over speed these days and I can get a case of 1 3/4 oz 10 ga Federals for 19 bucks a box. In #3's out to 45 yards, cripples are non existent. I can get 1.5 oz bb's doing 1450 for the same price and they're good for further than my patternmaster LR can push them. I've made some changes, now preferring pattern density to speed, but to each their own.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby don novicki » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:59 pm

You are right about payload Don. I used to use the Remington Nitro 1-3/4 at 1250 fps and it hammered em. But I'll take T shot at 1600 fps any day. I take it you had some of their product and weren't satisfied. So far I have been lucky........
don novicki
hunter

Postby zippyduck » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:33 pm

I use and it kills but I have had a few misfires, they switched me from one type of shell to another and it has not happened again.
zippyduck
hunter

Postby don taylor » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:12 am

I haven't used their loads specifically, but many other reloaded shells. Most days, it was never an issue, but a dud that left a wad hung up on my patternmaster and stuck out like a fully bloomed daisy changed me.

At 1350 fps, T shot is doing over 600 fps over 60 yards. That's enough energy retention to still penetrate vitals on any goose. To me, the speed over 600 fps is wasted when you could probably sacrifice 300 fps from that fast load and add a 1/4 oz more shot to the pattern. I'm a fan of density over speed. I use 1 3/4 oz Federal #3's for ducks. My pattern is denser 10 yards past my chokes designation that a 11/8th is 5 yards in front of a 12 ga's optimal distance. My mod choked gun is denser at full choked range than a than a 12 is on the money. To me pellet strikes have proven more effective than penetration and pass through.

Just personal opinion.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Pennsylvania Duck Hunting