Advice

A great state with a number of waterfowl. This Pennsylvania duck hunting forum is a great place to discuss hunting practices from all over the state.

Moderators: PADUCKSTUFFER, don taylor

Advice

Postby duckpond88 » Sat May 11, 2013 6:28 am

I was wondering what u guys have better luck with over decoying divers buffs golds ruddys blue bills and merg. I'll be shooting 3 inch. Don't see a need for 3 n half. But I'm not sure on shot size yet and I'll also be shooting black cloud but should I chose a number 3 or a bb. Has anyone every seen black cloud in a number 1
duckpond88
hunter

Re: Advice

Postby zippyduck » Sat May 11, 2013 9:32 pm

#2-4 works for our group, My gun shoots 4's better than 2's but my buddies gun shoots 2's better. I wouldn't go with BB's because of the shot passing through the birds too fast, causing birds to fly out of range before dying. We all shoot 3" shells, no need for 3-1/2".
zippyduck
hunter

Postby don taylor » Mon May 13, 2013 8:58 am

#4's start flirting with speeds below what is needed for adequate penetration too early for me. Between 2,3 and 4, you're talking a big difference in speed at 40 yards. Diver are known to take shots and keep flying or hit the water and swim away. I prefer 3Ls over the decoys and early season, but when the birds are wary, having the range of 2's is what I prefer. 2's also can take a goose or duck, where I question 3's on geese. I shot a goose at about 40 yards twice with 3's and had witnesses. 2 solid hits and it kept flying up river and around a bend. About 45 minutes later, it appeared around the bend floating. About an hour later, it made it to us. That's just one example, but I usually would:t even have 3Ls in late in the year.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby pelletslinger25 » Mon May 13, 2013 7:07 pm

I stick with #2's year around unless im hunting early teal in NC or Fl then its 4's but thats the only time. Just like Don said, if ur gonna be shooting geese also i wouldnt shoot a goose with anything smaller than 2's. When i was stationed in NC me and my hunting partner decided to go diver hunting after work. all we had were 4's because thats all we could get on base everything else was sold out. And after that hunt i never took 4's diver hunting again. Now brand wise I have had the best luck with Black Cloud. i was able to fold a woody at 45 yrds with them. And thats when i was sold on them. i will also shoot Kent if i cant get Clouds. I havent shot Blind Side yet so i cant say anything on how they preform. Heavy shot didnt inpress me very much but i know guys who swear on them. Its honestly depends on what ur gun patterns the best. Dont be afraid to toy aroud with loads now. That way ur good to go when the season comes.
pelletslinger25
hunter

Postby duckpond88 » Mon May 13, 2013 7:16 pm

For the big honkers and snows I use bb and bbb for the puddle ducks I like my 4 but last year when I went to the bay for divers and took 4 the guy said we should start using a little bigger shot like bb. And we also use 3 black cloud with great results. Just wanted to k ow what is working good for every one else I might try 2 shot this year an see how it does or maybe #1 if I can find any
duckpond88
hunter

Return to Pennsylvania Duck Hunting