Preserve hunt in SW PA or guide service??

A great state with a number of waterfowl. This Pennsylvania duck hunting forum is a great place to discuss hunting practices from all over the state.

Moderators: PADUCKSTUFFER, don taylor

Preserve hunt in SW PA or guide service??

Postby creekcaptain » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:43 pm

A buddy of mine got drug up to Canonsburg a few years back from here in NC by his crazy now-ex wife so she could be close to all her family in Pittsburgh. He went hunting with me down here in NC over Thanksgiving last year while visiting his family and had a blast. I have been planning on coming up for one of the openers in October since our season is out down here normally during that time frame. I've been cyberscouting :yes: it up and had come up with a few ideas but we may not have much of a chance to really scout an area and thought that maybe a mallard shoot at a preserve would be just as fun and save me from toting a bunch of my own junk all the way up there. I'd have my CBR with me regardless so it would just be some light work for him as well. Didn't see anything on google and thought you local guys may have a better idea of what may be available. Willing to travel maybe a couple hours if I could make it work. Thanks for any help.

A guide in that area would be cool as well or any spot where we may could pay to play! Thanks!
creekcaptain
hunter

Re: Preserve hunt in SW PA or guide service??

Postby Pappy84 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:08 am

You may want to look into one of the 2 pymatuning duck areas for the opener of duck season. Its about 1.5 hours north of Guntown and may be your best bet for some birds early in the season. Normaly the season around guntown starts a week later and you may need your buddy to do some scouting in that area, PM me and I will give you some info on where to look.

Just a FYI, there are no guides that I know of in WPA.
Friends don't make promises they can't keep.
Pappy84
hunter

Postby don taylor » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:46 am

Taking people out here would mean going public with them, pretty much. Wwe don't have enough of a migration that you could have much of a season on private property. I do know of a few places that have continental mallard shoots.. The Kennedy farm is one place to look. I'll get his number and post it up. We've gone out for chuckars there.

If you consider going to pymatuning, plan on going early. Wandering into J or L area without knowing the layout is going to be tough. You're going in against guys that have been racing their canoe or down the footpaths for years. If you don't have a canoe, the walk in spots will be limited. It's not impossible, but it's going to be a learning experience.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby creekcaptain » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:34 pm

don taylor wrote:Taking people out here would mean going public with them, pretty much. Wwe don't have enough of a migration that you could have much of a season on private property. I do know of a few places that have continental mallard shoots.. The Kennedy farm is one place to look. I'll get his number and post it up. We've gone out for chuckars there.

If you consider going to pymatuning, plan on going early. Wandering into J or L area without knowing the layout is going to be tough. You're going in against guys that have been racing their canoe or down the footpaths for years. If you don't have a canoe, the walk in spots will be limited. It's not impossible, but it's going to be a learning experience.

Thanks for the reply. Looking back at past seasons, I'll probably be there for the southern opener in October. What I'm thinking about doing is going north on Friday, Saturday optional and Monday hunting another hole in the south. Or we may find a spot and stick with it all three days. We'll see how it goes. My buddy is going to try and do some homework. As long as we get out there, I'll be happy.
creekcaptain
hunter

Return to Pennsylvania Duck Hunting