What decoys do you run.

A great state with a number of waterfowl. This Pennsylvania duck hunting forum is a great place to discuss hunting practices from all over the state.

Moderators: PADUCKSTUFFER, don taylor

What decoys do you run.

Postby PA_Drake_Hunter » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:38 pm

Just wondering what decoys everyone is running this year for ducks. W/ all the new choices out there I'm looking to get new ones. I'm leaning towards GHG brand or FA, both look great and color match is right on. How do you feel about flocked heads on floaters and how the water will effect them?
PA_Drake_Hunter
hunter

Re: What decoys do you run.

Postby tsaylor1979 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:36 pm

I run GHG floaters. Sometimes I will take my cork decoys if I'm not walking too far. I've never hunted over flocked duck decoys, so I can't really speak to that.
tsaylor1979
hunter

Postby don taylor » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:38 am

I can't see carrying slotted bags, they simply are too bulky and limit the decoys you can take without mutliple trips. I'm also not a fan of how fragile the flocking is if you use standard decoys bags. I've killed enough ducks over crappy sportplasts and flambeaus to know the ducks don't care.

If you walk in or carry decoys, weight should be a consideration. Real image cabela mallards are at least twice as heavy as regular decoys.carrying 2 dozen of them is like carrying a sack of bricks on your back. XwX uses them and we always try and stick somebody else with them. They look great, but suck on walk ins.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby PADuck » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:02 pm

Can't go wrong with GHG. if your walking in on swamps or slow water drill the keel and loose the sand to save weight. Well worth it. Do it with some cheap hot buys or storm fronts are a good decoy for the money
PADuck
hunter

Postby erp10 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:18 pm

I run whatever I find on sale. GHG, Final Approach, Storm fronts Big Foots, Higdon, Sportsplast and Tanglefree. I still have sprotsplast deeks that I got when I started hunting 17 yrs ago. Take care of them. Most of the time the look of the decoy is for the hunter and not the duck. I do like a bigger decoy for more visibility when im hunting a lake or larger river. Do you think ducks care if the deeks have a swivel head or some chipped paint? Put out you deeks hide good and dont move.
erp10
hunter

Postby don taylor » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:40 am

Yeah, If you ever wonder if ducks are looking at your decoys and checking for chipped paint or flocking, just wave at them. One, small. 'Hi' wave. Watch how fast they react. Nobody has to do that to know what the result will be. They're scanning for movement and things that seem out of place, not inspecting for fine detail. Proper calling and a good hide are much more important.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Huntfish12 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:36 am

If im gonna do a walk in hunt, ill run my ghg magnum's, like others said, you can just throw them in a mesh bag and walk in with them on your back. If i can drive right to the spot, Ill run them, with my dakotas. Got a good deal on craigslist around here on one dozen, and just bought another dozen back in spring.
Theres always someone out there thats better then you. I'm that guy.
Huntfish12
hunter

Postby 001kds » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:07 am

Live birds! They work so much better than GHG,FA,DAKOTAS,G&H,BIG FOOT,CARRY-LITE,AVIAN-X or any other brand you can think of. And then you don't have to decide what calls to buy either cause they do all the calling for you. It's a win win! :biggrin:
Traveling North America chasing the migration and making memories one shotshell at a time! KDS
001kds
hunter

Postby don taylor » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:36 am

It's true. The best part is watching KDS wrap up the line and put them into a mesh bag.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby goosewhisperer » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:06 pm

In the past I have ran GHG, G&H, FA, and the list goes on. This year I am running strictly Tanglefree. Their decoys have come a long way from what they used to be.
Molt Gear Society Staff
Anatidae Wingshooting Adventures, LLC Pro-Staff
goosewhisperer
hunter

Postby don taylor » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:34 am

I like tanglefree, they're nice for the money. A few in our group had paint issues with them though. We're still using them obviously, but the paint didn't even last a season on most of the two dozen new ones we added to the group's spread.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby erp10 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:56 pm

I ran some of their Goose floaters last year. They held up pretty good. I wasnt a fan of the heads not being removable...seems like I could have kept more of the flocking on if the heads came off. But I did transport them in a standard mesh decoy bag not a slotted one.
erp10
hunter

Return to Pennsylvania Duck Hunting