Presque Isle State Park

A great state with a number of waterfowl. This Pennsylvania duck hunting forum is a great place to discuss hunting practices from all over the state.

Moderators: PADUCKSTUFFER, don taylor

Presque Isle State Park

Postby clymerfowler » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:51 am

I was wandering where there was to hunt around there. looking to maybe make one or two trips there this fall with my 14 foot canoe. not looking to intrude on anyone hunting areas. i hunt solo in pa.
Pigeons-231
Geese- 172
clymerfowler
hunter

Re: Presque Isle State Park

Postby don taylor » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:49 am

PI is all randomly drawn blinds. You can't just hunt there, you have to hunt a blind that somebody won, built and didn't show up to hunt that day. If you want info, contact the Tom Ridge Environmental center and ask.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby clymerfowler » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:32 am

didnt know if you could use a boat and hunt.
Pigeons-231
Geese- 172
clymerfowler
hunter

Postby don taylor » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:54 am

I don't want to sound discouraging, but if you're going to head out to sit on the bay or on the lake in a 14' Coleman, you better pick a non ducky day. If there is any wind or anything that resembles a storm system coming through, you're risking your life on the heavy chop on shallow lake Erie. Canoes are good for retrieving ducks, not hunting the lake. You can use a boat to hunt the lake and the bay, but only way out from the blinds. You can try the lake, but unless you scout where the birds like to hang, you're taking a major shot in the dark. Guys who hunt there several times a week can't even make an accurate call every day. If there is anywhere in Pa that relies on weather to provide birds, it's PI. You could hunt there for 2 weeks and only shoot a half dozen birds if you pick the wrong day, let alone having to pick the right spot.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but to do well at PI is tough in a lot of respects. Good luck.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Mr.Pymatuning » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:21 am

I will second what Don said, I would be very cautious about hunting out of a 14 canoe on the lake or even the bay, not a place to take lightly. The blinds are very hit or miss, all depends on the weather and what birds are there. If the weathers good your odds of getting a blind are slim!

As to scouting it is a big lake, myself or a buddy is out scouting almost daily during the season either in the truck or the boat.
Mr.Pymatuning
DHC Sponsor

Postby clymerfowler » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:03 am

i was thinking of the head of the bay or the lagoons. i hav never hunted big water only small lakes, pongs, and creeks
Pigeons-231
Geese- 172
clymerfowler
hunter

Postby Mr.Pymatuning » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:27 am

The head of the bay can get real crowded and most of the hunting is from designated blinds unless you have a layout boat. The lagoons are closed to hunting.
Mr.Pymatuning
DHC Sponsor

Postby don taylor » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:23 pm

It sounds like a break from your normal hunt and a good time, but without.a layout, a buddy in a tender boat to help you and about 100 diver decoys on longlines, you're likely just wasting time. Add on the idea of sitting on the mouth of the bay where 26' long boats like Mr Pymatuning are going to come past you at 60 MPH on their way out to the main lake, sitting in a 14' vhull or flat bottom would have your life flashing before your eyes and you muttering a prayer.

Also, nobody want to be the guy who's ill equiped to hunt a spot trying to early bird and get the spot. I have most of the gear needed,. Boat, tender, tons of decoys and last year we didn't even have a day worth driving up for. Our full layout rig sat idle all season.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby don taylor » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:31 pm

If you know of somewhere to hunt on PI that isn't in the blinds, Brennan, I'd love to get a PM telling me where. I think you meant ALL hunting must be from the blinds. You can't even stand outside of the blind and shoot, unless it's a cripple.

If you don't call the Tom Ridge center and get the scoop before you go, there are about 100 special regulations to follow. And there is a range and guys from the duch hunter association hanging out, looking for people who break the rules.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Mr.Pymatuning » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:57 pm

Ha Don, I never go flying past anyone at 60mph my boat tops out at just over 40 when loaded down lol.

But yes all the hunting in the park must be done from the blinds to clarify that. If you are hunting from a boat you must be 500ft of shore I think or 450 I haven't looked at the regs since last season.
Mr.Pymatuning
DHC Sponsor

Postby don taylor » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:28 am

I've seen some guys come out of the bay at breakneck speeds, skipping across the waves like a picklefork. You may not head out like that, but some people surely do.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Mr.Pymatuning » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:59 am

Yeah, I have seen it also! I am suprised that more do not get in trouble for it, the channel is no wake and some of those boats sure throw a wake.
Mr.Pymatuning
DHC Sponsor

Postby clymerfowler » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:21 am

oh okay. i have only hunted ponds, creeks, swamps, and fields and was looking to see what bigger water hunting was about after i got more decoys but i guess ill just stick around here until i can afford a bigger boat and the whole set up which is hard at 18
Pigeons-231
Geese- 172
clymerfowler
hunter

Postby Mr.Pymatuning » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:28 pm

Yeah not trying to discourage you but hunting the Great Lakes and water that size is not something to go into without the right equipment and a good knowledge of the area. I have seen the lake go from calm to 5-6 footers in 15-20 minutes.
Mr.Pymatuning
DHC Sponsor

Postby clymerfowler » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:42 am

okay
Pigeons-231
Geese- 172
clymerfowler
hunter

Return to Pennsylvania Duck Hunting