Hunting success

A great state with a number of waterfowl. This Pennsylvania duck hunting forum is a great place to discuss hunting practices from all over the state.

Moderators: PADUCKSTUFFER, don taylor

Hunting success

Postby m3500 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:35 pm

I'm from Harrisburg/ Hershey area but have started hunting a little In Liverpool/Duncanon area on the susquehannah river and surrounding fields for ducks and geese. I'm not looking for spots to hunt or even a general area just wondering if some of you guys on here hunt that area and have had good success and I'm guessing scouting is the name of the game around there. I'm asking these questions because I've been hearing how central pa and the area surrounding has tremendous pressure and the hunting isn't very good unless you have a honey hole or private land, where birds aren't pressured. thoughts?
If it flies it dies, if it just sits there it dies too.
m3500
hunter
 
Posts: 142
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:23 pm
Location: Central, PA


Re: Hunting success

Postby Lowduk1 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:41 am

I am very familiar with that area...that's where I started duck hunting. years ago it was amazing. Now.... different breed of hunters there. Don't let me discourage you but there is much better areas not too far away. you just gotta look. good luck.
Renta-Cops belong in the mall not The DHC!
User avatar
Lowduk1
hunter
 
Posts: 317
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:44 pm

Re: Hunting success

Postby don taylor » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:00 am

Scout, scout scout and then scout some more. The further away you get, the better you'll do.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
User avatar
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 7534
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:38 pm
Location: Westmoreland County, Pa.

Re: Hunting success

Postby 001kds » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:31 pm

don taylor wrote:Scout, scout scout and then scout some more. The further away you get, the better you'll do.

Scouting? Oh wait that's what I do on the internet! Gas is just to expensive these days! :biggrin:
Traveling North America chasing the migration and making memories one shotshell at a time! KDS
001kds
hunter
 
Posts: 296
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:45 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: Hunting success

Postby don taylor » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:41 am

If people continue to think that they (not the OP) caan find ducks by searching online, they're crazy. In a gme where 50 feet matters, you'll never find a spot online. Each place requires at least 3 return trips before you can even begin to see a pattern develop. Going once and seeing ducks doesn't mean you can hunt the same spot and expect success. Sucessful seasons don't come in one, two or three years. If you want to shoot a few ducks, sure, you could get by and eventually even the blind squirrel finds a nut.

But that's not going to be adequate for very long. The worst thing you can do is find success doing it the easy, read lazy and cheap, way.. You'll go out, shoot a bunch, buy the stuff, get the clothes... then you'll find it never comes that easy again.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
User avatar
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 7534
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:38 pm
Location: Westmoreland County, Pa.

Re: Hunting success

Postby Boatman » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:06 pm

don taylor wrote:[color=#FF0000]If people continue to think that they (not the OP) caan find ducks by searching online, they're crazy. In a gme where 50 feet matters, you'll never find a spot online[/color]. Each place requires at least 3 return trips before you can even begin to see a pattern develop. Going once and seeing ducks doesn't mean you can hunt the same spot and expect success. Sucessful seasons don't come in one, two or three years. If you want to shoot a few ducks, sure, you could get by and eventually even the blind squirrel finds a nut.

But that's not going to be adequate for very long. The worst thing you can do is find success doing it the easy, read lazy and cheap, way.. You'll go out, shoot a bunch, buy the stuff, get the clothes... then you'll find it never comes that easy again.


Don that's not quite true, seeing a duck yes but I have found so many new places to hunt online with google earth maps and Ducks unlimited migration map.(not talking about the reports) I have found new swamps and lakes that were right under my nose and did not know they were there. Places you will never see I don't care how much gas you burn in your vehicle. Some places we hunted we have never ever seen another hunter.
There are still things worth dying for and 1 of those things is freedom.

I love Geese

Genesis 27:3 Now then, get your weapons, quiver and bow, go out in the fields and hunt some wild game for me.
User avatar
Boatman
hunter
 
Posts: 1364
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 4:10 pm
Location: Atlantic

Re: Hunting success

Postby don taylor » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:48 am

No, you're not following me exactly. You can find bodies of water online, you can't find spots to hunt. If you set up 50 yards to the left of where you need to be or just look online for spots then try to roll out to lake X at 4 am, you're going to have a rough go at it. I have a spot on the river that if you set up anywhere in a mile in each direction, you'd be skunked. People would never find my spot by looking online. The birds ccome in at 7 am and leave by 9. If you don't scout at the right time and go back multiple times to see that, you'd never know the spot existed. Like I'm sure many don't for that very reason. I got news the only other guy who hunted that spot died last spring and that's why I hadn't seen him.

In my opinion there is no substitute for mileage and paddle time. Find bodies of water using any means you can, but water doesn't equal birds in the bag like knowing where that X is. I'm driving to hunt teal in Ohio, found spots online that look like shallow vegetation and low water areas, beaver dams, all kinds of tealy type of stuff. I'm still going to scout it out, find the X and make it count. 3 hrs drive time to scout a place I intend on hunting once a season. Then again, guys like KDS, Gooserslan and a few other buddies of mine who seem to consistently kill the most birds all have this mentality. Scout, Scout Scout.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
User avatar
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 7534
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:38 pm
Location: Westmoreland County, Pa.

Re: Hunting success

Postby 001kds » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:48 am

In my opinion there is no substitute for mileage and paddle time. Find bodies of water using any means you can, but water doesn't equal birds in the bag like knowing where that X is. I'm driving to hunt teal in Ohio, found spots online that look like shallow vegetation and low water areas, beaver dams, all kinds of tealy type of stuff. I'm still going to scout it out, find the X and make it count. 3 hrs drive time to scout a place I intend on hunting once a season. Then again, guys like KDS, Gooserslan and a few other buddies of mine who seem to consistently kill the most birds all have this mentality. Scout, Scout Scout.[/quote]

WOW wow! Don't go dragging my name into this! I've never killed a duck or goose in my life! I just like to act like I know what I'm talking about on the internet! And sit on my signature series waterfowler bucket down by the river! :biggrin:
Traveling North America chasing the migration and making memories one shotshell at a time! KDS
001kds
hunter
 
Posts: 296
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:45 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: Hunting success

Postby Boatman » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:51 pm

don taylor wrote:No, you're not following me exactly. You can find bodies of water online, you can't find spots to hunt. If you set up 50 yards to the left of where you need to be or just look online for spots then try to roll out to lake X at 4 am, you're going to have a rough go at it. I have a spot on the river that if you set up anywhere in a mile in each direction, you'd be skunked. People would never find my spot by looking online. The birds ccome in at 7 am and leave by 9. If you don't scout at the right time and go back multiple times to see that, you'd never know the spot existed. Like I'm sure many don't for that very reason. I got news the only other guy who hunted that spot died last spring and that's why I hadn't seen him.

In my opinion there is no substitute for mileage and paddle time. Find bodies of water using any means you can, but water doesn't equal birds in the bag like knowing where that X is. I'm driving to hunt teal in Ohio, found spots online that look like shallow vegetation and low water areas, beaver dams, all kinds of tealy type of stuff. I'm still going to scout it out, find the X and make it count. 3 hrs drive time to scout a place I intend on hunting once a season. Then again, guys like KDS, Gooserslan and a few other buddies of mine who seem to consistently kill the most birds all have this mentality. Scout, Scout Scout.


Don,could not agree with you more. You can find places online but to find the ducks yes you must scout scout and scout some more. You didn't read my post where I said( seeing a duck yes)
There are still things worth dying for and 1 of those things is freedom.

I love Geese

Genesis 27:3 Now then, get your weapons, quiver and bow, go out in the fields and hunt some wild game for me.
User avatar
Boatman
hunter
 
Posts: 1364
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 4:10 pm
Location: Atlantic


Return to Pennsylvania Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests