adding variety with different species

A great state with a number of waterfowl. This Pennsylvania duck hunting forum is a great place to discuss hunting practices from all over the state.

Moderators: PADUCKSTUFFER, don taylor

adding variety with different species

Postby m3500 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:28 pm

Anyone on here think is worth buying a puddler pack of decoys (drake and hen Gadwall, widgeon, and pintails) for adding variety I know variety helps and adds realism, but if there aren't many around here during the season I don't think it would matter. anyone use these species of decoys in there spread here in pa?
If it flies it dies, if it just sits there it dies too.
m3500
hunter

Re: adding variety with different species

Postby erp10 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:32 pm

I dont really think It will make a difference for puddlers in our area. About five years ago I bought a dozen pintails for "visibility" and "variety" in my spread. All they helped with was putting holes in my decoy bag and poking me in the back with their tails. Although I did shoot a wigeon this year and saw more than I have ever seen going back north but im not gonna run out and buy wigeon deeks. At least not yet. I wont B.S. you though I did pick up some black duck deeks this off season :yes: ...but they were on sale and the mallards were not. Plus I saw a huge push of black ducks last year come through were I hunt. Can you ever have too many decoys :thumbsup:
erp10
hunter

Postby m3500 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:50 pm

Thanks i didn't want to waist $35 without gaining from it. I saw a big push of blacks ducks also. Do you hunt the susquehanah by chance? (erp)
If it flies it dies, if it just sits there it dies too.
m3500
hunter

Postby mcclinj » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:49 pm

Our group runs about a dozen GWT and a few wigeon and gadwalls mixed in with a couple dozen mallards.

-John
mcclinj
hunter

Postby erp10 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:29 am

I have never had the chance to hunt the Susky. A little to far for me to drive to scout then go back to hunt.
erp10
hunter

Postby don taylor » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:11 am

Use whatever you kill the most of. If you kill mallards, bulk up your mallard spread. If you see GWT, add some in. A pair of woodies. Adding in pintails won't help you kill pintails. If pintails are in our area, they're pretty comfortable around mallards. On the other hand, I've had GWT almost land on top of the GWT decoys in a spread of 4 dozen decoys. Sometimes, they want to be with their own kind.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Boatman » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:57 pm

m3500 wrote:Anyone on here think is worth buying a puddler pack of decoys (drake and hen Gadwall, widgeon, and pintails) for adding variety I know variety helps and adds realism, but if there aren't many around here during the season I don't think it would matter. anyone use these species of decoys in there spread here in pa?

Black ducks a good, hi visibility. Your best chance to draw in other species is to have them in the spread. When I added in Buffleheads we saw a lot of buffleheads and they land and swim to the buff deaks.
There are still things worth dying for and 1 of those things is freedom.

I love Geese

Genesis 27:3 Now then, get your weapons, quiver and bow, go out in the fields and hunt some wild game for me.
Boatman
hunter

Return to Pennsylvania Duck Hunting