Black duck numbers

A great state with a number of waterfowl. This Pennsylvania duck hunting forum is a great place to discuss hunting practices from all over the state.

Moderators: PADUCKSTUFFER, don taylor

Black duck numbers

Postby erp10 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:59 am

So am I reading the duck number reports right? It looks like there are more black ducks than mallards in the Atlantic flyway. Are these black ducks mostly around the coast? Seems like high numbers to me.
erp10
hunter

Re: Black duck numbers

Postby LeakyBoot » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:54 am

Yep, 622,000 Black Ducks and about 500,000 Mallards. The 1/2 million mallards is a 20 year high while the Black Duck numbers are way below the long term average. You are allowed 4 mallards and only one black duck a day, but Black Ducks are special and we'll never see more than one a day. Probably go to zero before to long. Remember when you couldn't shoot any black ducks?
LeakyBoot
hunter

Postby DrakesOnly » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:03 pm

Yes, also black duck are treated differently because believe it or not, many "pairs" of black ducks observed on breeding grounds are actually 2 drakes thus their production outlook uses a different formula than for other species.

Yes there are many black ducks on the coast, it is said that Cape May is the largest destination for wintering black ducks on the East coast. However, I kill black ducks all year long, and a lot of them, and I am nowhere near the coast. Just gotta be right on top of where they wanna be or you ain't killin Em.
What a man will do for a duck...
DrakesOnly
hunter

Postby Boatman » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:41 pm

Last year we saw several flocks of blacks 8-15 birds drop in the decoys. One shot sucks.
There are still things worth dying for and 1 of those things is freedom.

I love Geese

Genesis 27:3 Now then, get your weapons, quiver and bow, go out in the fields and hunt some wild game for me.
Boatman
hunter

Postby don novicki » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:29 pm

At the waterfowl symposium they theorize that mallards are pushing black ducks out of Pa.. They called black ducks an incidental breeder, in Pa. anymore. I asked Kevin Jacobs what they were doing about it, and he said they are looking at it from many angles and don't feel the decline is due to any one thing in particular. From they way he sounded, it's going to be a while before they have any answers. It isn't good though........
don novicki
hunter

Postby stackemhigh » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:05 am

can anybody post the link to the report? thanks
stackemhigh
hunter

Postby LeakyBoot » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:49 pm

stackemhigh wrote:can anybody post the link to the report? thanks

http://www.flyways.us/sites/default/files/uploads/trends_in_duck_breeding_populations_2013.pdf

Page 13
LeakyBoot
hunter

Return to Pennsylvania Duck Hunting