GOOSE BLIND PERMITS - Pymatuming / Middle Creek

A great state with a number of waterfowl. This Pennsylvania duck hunting forum is a great place to discuss hunting practices from all over the state.

Moderators: PADUCKSTUFFER, don taylor

GOOSE BLIND PERMITS - Pymatuming / Middle Creek

Postby MyLabsHunt » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:16 am

Hi guys...

Grew up near Pittsburgh, spent last 5 years in Colorado where I became addicted to waterfowling, now back in Southwestern PA and trying to figure out the hunting situation here. Name is Chad.

Seems like most folks around here (on this site anyway) are pretty guarded about taking new people out for fear of turning the good spots into over-run spots.... I get that. I'm not used to it, but I get it.

Anyway.... I'm new to the area (from a hunting perspective) and looking for some friendly advise on the Goose Blind Permit process at Pymatuming and Middle Creek. Is there a time of the year that I should target? Are there more birds earlier than later or vice versa? Is the shooting over water or field?

Would anybody like to team up.... meaning I'll take you as a guest on my permit and you take me as a guest on your permit?

Additionally.... been out scouting a ton lately and got permission on some private land/water. Should be great for the regular season, but Sep 2 is coming up pretty quick and I still haven't been able to nail down a good spot for early goose. Anybody up for getting together for a hunt or to combine scouting efforts?

Any dove hunters out there? or anyone willing to leak some intel on a good spot for dove in SWPA?

The season approaches.
:beer:
MyLabsHunt
hunter

Re: GOOSE BLIND PERMITS - Pymatuming / Middle Creek

Postby Spunky » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:01 pm

Use the application that is in the booklet that came with license. There is a date when they have to be in by. Pymatuning would be a better bet for you. You can go there later in the year when there are no shows, blinds that were reserved but no one showed up, and sign up for the daily drawing. Easier to get in.

All the shooting for geese in the propagation area is over fields. If you get in, your assigned a blind, and that's where you stay for the time that your in the prop area. Really don't matter what time of the season you apply for unless you get drawn for the first couple of days it gets slim pickens. No driving to the blinds all walking. Birds are so educated that they can tell what decoy brand or call your using. Only allowed to have 10 shells and a one bird limit. Out by 1 pm.

Goose numbers are down by historic levels. A lot of long range shooters.
Spunky
hunter

Postby Boatman » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:04 am

Don't waste your time at middle creek you are only allowed 1 goose, and no early season? Pa is a good state for geese, you can find them everywhere.
There are still things worth dying for and 1 of those things is freedom.

I love Geese

Genesis 27:3 Now then, get your weapons, quiver and bow, go out in the fields and hunt some wild game for me.
Boatman
hunter

Postby bassmaster624 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:49 pm

the geese at pymie learn quick and after getting shot at once or twice they find other routes to fly and avoid the shooting areas.like spunky mention a no-show later in the year may be your best bet.pick a snowy windy or rainy day when the flight birds come down.pymie is not what it use to be they kill to many eggs each year.and with the weather being the way it has been flight birds are spotty then showing up late.the lake it self hasn't been to productive the last 2 years.before that I would take any body there and have a good outing but not now.if you would like to make it out let me know I could show you a spot or 2.heck I hunt with the likes of Don,Vince ,Jim :beer:
women love me and bass fear me
bassmaster624
hunter

Postby OmegaRed » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:50 am

Hey Chad, once I get some of my spots situated I'd be glad to let you tag along. My buddy that I hunt with in PA just moved to Ohio, so it's gonna be a little bit til we get time to scout. Where you located?
I just pooped my pants.
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby MyLabsHunt » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:14 am

Thanks guys.

Omega, I'm west of Pittsburgh near Imperial.

I was in Pym this weekend for a pig roast and decided head out yesterday for geese. Scouting on Sunday, I found that water levels were much higher in on the lake than I had expected. I thought I had identified a few decent spots to set up a spread and hunt, but the high water turned them into some pretty thick swamp. The other guys weren't willing to put in the effort, so we ended up hunting a pond on private land and didn't see anything..... Good to get out there though.

Taking a walk with the dogs this evening and hope for some dove.

Happy hunting.
:beer:
MyLabsHunt
hunter

Return to Pennsylvania Duck Hunting