Roadways

A great state with a number of waterfowl. This Pennsylvania duck hunting forum is a great place to discuss hunting practices from all over the state.

Moderators: PADUCKSTUFFER, don taylor

Roadways

Postby Stoneys52 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:06 pm

Here in pa for waterfowl how far away from the road to I have to
Be I ready twenty five yards but this one really nice hole I found in a stream tht is always loaded is close to the road I can either be in the stream by the water shooting towards the woods or twenty five yards from the road shooting towards the back road running parallel with the stream
Stoneys52
hunter

Re: Roadways

Postby Huntfish12 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:31 am

i dont reccomend shooting towards a road or anything for the matter that u could possibly drop shot on.
Theres always someone out there thats better then you. I'm that guy.
Huntfish12
hunter

Postby don taylor » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:35 am

Sounds like a tough spot to hunt. I'd try and shooting them on their way into the hole. Pass shoot them. I wouldn't shoot t a road and it sounds like it's tight quarters.

I will say this, you're allowed to shoot over the road, s long as the shot doesn't travel across where traffic might be. Maybe shooting up is your answer?
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Stoneys52 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:06 am

Yes but how far away from the road do I have to be
Stoneys52
hunter

Postby reelcranky » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:51 am

Page 16 of the PA digital hunting guide: general hunting regulations/road hunting (4) says "at least 25 yards" from the road hope this helps!
reelcranky
hunter

Postby drod » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:12 pm

Here's how the law reads:

It is unlawful to 1) hunt from a vehicle; 2) shoot at wildlife on a public road or right-of-way open to public travel; 3) shoot across a road unless the line of fire is high enough to preclude any danger to road users; and 4) alight from a vehicle and shoot at any wildlife until the shooter is at least 25 yards from the traveled portion of the roadway

I asked a WCO about this once, because it seems to be such a gray area.

This particular WCO explained to me that the 25 yard deal is how far you have to be from your vehicle when you exit the vehicle to begin hunting, and is not a general "you have to be 25 yards from a road to hunt." He said that it's all about the "alight from a vehicle" part.

The encounter I had with the WCO was on a gamelands, where pheasants are stocked on both sides of a road that splits the gamelands. He told me that you can walk along the road to hunt if you want to, as long as you don't violate #2 and #3 and as long as you are 25 yards from your vehicle when you start hunting.

Of course, that's just one WCO's interpretation of it. Another WCO may interpret this differently, and fine you accordingly if he or she feels it's a general 25 yards off the road rule.
drod
hunter

Postby don taylor » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:03 pm

No, that's the way it was explained to me as well. I sat next to an old timer who was parked on a guard rail. 270 in hand, he was waiting near the road to shoot, feet in the weeds. His truck was across the street, down a bit. Perfectly legal and we got checked by a WCO. My gun was unloaded, i was walking the road back after a long push around a mountain top. That's not how the law reads though. It reads like you have to be 25 yards off the road, not 25 after exiting the vehicle. They want you to be able to shoot the buck you jump on the way in, but not the one you saw from the road and got out and shoot. Most of these laws are set up with deer hunters in mind, not a guy who's got a decoy spread. In all likelihood., you have 2 WCO's in your neckkk of the woods. Call up, see who they are and ask. They're the only two guys who's opinion matter.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby erp10 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:05 am

I have hunted a few places like that. I always considered putting out the deeks the 25 yards off the road. Go back and sit with my back to the road. Be careful with shots above you. You don't want birds dead birds going through someones windshield.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
erp10
hunter

Postby esutter » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:58 pm

How busy of a road are we talking? Single lane through a game lands/backroads, or heavily trafficked? It all plays into how you may handle it.
_______
God Bless.

Welcome to Wukich!!
esutter
hunter

Postby Stoneys52 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:58 pm

Single lane back road that eventually turns into a dirt road in the woods and ends
Stoneys52
hunter

Postby hud521 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:52 pm

I called the Game Commission on this just last season, and got the same response as some of the other guys here, that there is not distance off of the road, just away from your vehicle. The Game Commission are the best people to call, or e-mail they always answer when I have contacted them.
hud521
hunter

Return to Pennsylvania Duck Hunting