Scoutin birds

A great state with a number of waterfowl. This Pennsylvania duck hunting forum is a great place to discuss hunting practices from all over the state.

Moderators: PADUCKSTUFFER, don taylor

Scoutin birds

Postby Dallashunter » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:35 pm

anybody out scouting seeing any odd ball ducks? i want to shoot a shoveler in the worst way but havent ever seen one. I'd like to hear what people are seeing! i dont want any specifics of where(not lookin for spots haha) just what people are seeing!
Dallashunter
hunter

Re: Scoutin birds

Postby Spunky » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:00 am

We get a nice population of them later in the year here in the NW zone. The males are one the best looking birds there is for mounting.
Spunky
hunter

Postby Dallashunter » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:07 am

i think next to a hooded merganser they're one of the best looking birds we have a chance of shooting up here, im in the NE part of the state and don't see anything but blacks mallards and woodies, want to shoot a shoveler real bad hah
Dallashunter
hunter

Postby barryboy08 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:28 pm

I usually don't see many odd balls till a little later in the year, usually around beginning of November or so hopefully if we get the weather they may push a bit earlier.
Happy Hunting!
barryboy08
hunter

Postby HEYPRATT » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:41 pm

I know you asked about ducks but I saw a group of four brants yesterday at a new spot of mine.
HEYPRATT
hunter

Postby LeakyBoot » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:31 pm

HEYPRATT wrote:I know you asked about ducks but I saw a group of four brants yesterday at a new spot of mine.

You seeing these Brant around your home area of Pittsburgh?
That would be a rare sighting this time of the year.
LeakyBoot
hunter

Postby HEYPRATT » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:44 pm

No not in Pittsburgh. I was scouting a new spot in the north zone when I heard the birds coming over the tree line. They where about to land out in front of me but I wasn't in camo and I was very exposed at the time. So I got to watch them circle four or five times before they left.
HEYPRATT
hunter

Postby Dallashunter » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:30 am

that's a good sight to see! wouldnt mind taking a brant home! i was talking to a buddy of mine and he was checking out these waterfalls and he said there were a bunch of wigeons on the creek those falls were on, hope they stick around for a few weeks, maybe get a crack at them
Dallashunter
hunter

Postby gogetthedogs » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:32 pm

Saw a shoveler once around Tunkhannock. Widgeon are around and a few pins. The river is always a good spot for a variety.
I don't have a catchy phrase to put here!
gogetthedogs
hunter

Postby Dallashunter » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:42 pm

yeah i live about 15 minutes from tunkhannok, so hopefully one makes its way towards me haha, my buddy saw a bunch of teals down by williamsport last night
Dallashunter
hunter

Return to Pennsylvania Duck Hunting