Early bird gets the worm.

A great state with a number of waterfowl. This Pennsylvania duck hunting forum is a great place to discuss hunting practices from all over the state.

Moderators: PADUCKSTUFFER, don taylor

Early bird gets the worm.

Postby PA_Drake_Hunter » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:09 pm

Just wondering with duck season on its way in about a week how early do you guys get to your spot. Is it minutes, hours, or a day early? I know ill be heading out into the swamp the night before to ensure my spot. Went out at 3 am last year and guys were there. Is the day before too early or what?
PA_Drake_Hunter
hunter

Re: Early bird gets the worm.

Postby Spunky » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:47 am

Use to do the set up early stuff, but since hunter numbers are down where I hunt, I'll get up at 5Am and still be there in plenty of time. Back during the early 70's it was at least 2 days before the season if you wanted one of the better spots. But there was more hunters and the seasons were much shorter so there was much more pressure to get the primo spot. Seeing very few large ducks but the woody population seems to be the same as last year. Been scouting the bigger swamps and not seeing anything but woodies and a few teal and the occasional flock of geese.
Spunky
hunter

Postby Double Shorthair » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:41 pm

Were planning on paddling out to the spot by 11pm the night before. Not that I am worried about finding a spot or beating people there , but I just like spending as much time in the swamp as possible. We scouted the area a lot this summer and were gonna head up again Wednesday and Thursday to see where the birds mainly want to be at. Good luck everyone and be safe.
Double Shorthair
hunter

Postby PA_Drake_Hunter » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:17 am

We are planning on headin out about 4PM Friday. Just wanna ensure te spot but also just making the best of a weekend away.
PA_Drake_Hunter
hunter

Postby PA Waterfowler » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:11 pm

Last year we got there at 11 the night before and had a cozy little camp fire. All the slobs didn't show up until a half hour before shooting time. A group of three snuck into the bushes 75 yards away and proceded to shoot at the first flock of the day working the spread. They shot at anything within 100 yards, including birds right over top of us that we didn't even shoot at because they were too high!

This year I think we are going to go the evening before just to get everything set up and to gather some wood while it's still light. Do we need to go that early, no but it's kinda a fun tradition we started. First day you obviously want to get their earlier than you normally would. I would think 3am would be good for the first day if your worried about your spot, but I'm sure some guys might get there the night before. It really depends on where your at, how public it is, and the number of "waterfowlers" or skybusters are in your area.

PA Waterfowler
PA Waterfowler
hunter

Postby hud521 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:21 pm

I pray for all of you going into the swamps that early that the mosquitos are not as bad as they were forthe ssecond youth day! It was miserable!
hud521
hunter

Return to Pennsylvania Duck Hunting