Monday Morning Hunt

A great state with a number of waterfowl. This Pennsylvania duck hunting forum is a great place to discuss hunting practices from all over the state.

Moderators: PADUCKSTUFFER, don taylor

Monday Morning Hunt

Postby reelcranky » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:00 am

It was slow today for me and the dog about 7:30 I had 5 drake woodies circle 3 times and thought they were going to land on the last swing so instead of taking the easy shot on the one bird I thought let them land and get a couple birds and of course on the last swing they flew off that will teach me lol. Then I had this hen fly by it ended up being the only shot of the morning at least a little work for the dog. It was quiet today I only heard about a dozen shots this morning hopefully other areas had more action than where I was at. Back to work tomorrow will not get out again until thanksgiving good luck everyone.
Woodie 2nd day.jpg
reelcranky
hunter

Re: Monday Morning Hunt

Postby vincentpa » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:06 am

It was slow everywhere I heard. It certainly was where we were. Too bad you have to wait until Thanksgiving to hunt again.
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
vincentpa
hunter

Postby Spunky » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:13 am

If you thought it was slow, today was worst. You know it's bad when you see more geese than ducks in a swamp. What a difference a year makes. Last year I was over run with woodies. Would see at least 50-75 each morning. This morning saw a grand total of 4 woodies and 1 teal. 60+ geese.
Spunky
hunter

Postby vincentpa » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:24 am

Youth day(s)?
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
vincentpa
hunter

Postby zippyduck » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:38 pm

Monday I saw very few woodies, got 1 and a mallard. Tuesday we got 4 woodies and should of had a limit. As far as youth hunts we saw a lot less birds during them this year. I think woodie numbers are way down.
zippyduck
hunter

Postby vincentpa » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:52 am

zippyduck wrote:Monday I saw very few woodies, got 1 and a mallard. Tuesday we got 4 woodies and should of had a limit. As far as youth hunts we saw a lot less birds during them this year. I think woodie numbers are way down.

You would've thought with all the rain we had this summer, there would've been more woodies. But then again, we didn't have a whole lot of rain in the spring when it probably counts more.
vincentpa
hunter

Postby zippyduck » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:44 am

Lots of mergs used the duck boxes this year.
zippyduck
hunter

Postby vincentpa » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:54 am

zippyduck wrote:Lots of mergs used the duck boxes this year.

Even more of a reason to take target pratice on those flying fish eaters.
vincentpa
hunter

Postby bassmaster624 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:35 pm

monday was slow but still managed to see afew duck.woodies teal and mallards were buzzing the swamp.i hunted where spunky goes on saturday and it was pittiful.not so much not seeing birds because of all the skybusters.monday evening was better then the morning.my shooting skills needs to improve.
women love me and bass fear me
bassmaster624
hunter

Postby don taylor » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:42 am

All I saw were woodies in the swamp on the opener. Maybe a dozen other ducks total. I'm pretty sure the habitat has taken a nose dive and is less hospitable for mallards and more suited to little ducks. We did well relatively speaking, but I scouted a small spot for a month before hand.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby vincentpa » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:24 am

bassmaster624 wrote:my shooting skills needs to improve.

You've been saying that for years!
vincentpa
hunter

Postby don taylor » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:02 am

I think you shoot fine, Dale. It's the duck killing you need to improve on. J/K. We all have bad spells, you'll get through it.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby bassmaster624 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:36 pm

don , vince you guys are killing me.honestly i have been burning up some ten gauge shells with number 3 shot.i don't know if the gun is getting heavier or i'am getting older or the ducks are flying faster this year.maybe all 3.i have been shooting behind most duck.but when they so done to goose speed there dead. :tongue:
women love me and bass fear me
bassmaster624
hunter

Return to Pennsylvania Duck Hunting