Thought I'd seen it all!

A great state with a number of waterfowl. This Pennsylvania duck hunting forum is a great place to discuss hunting practices from all over the state.

Moderators: PADUCKSTUFFER, don taylor

Thought I'd seen it all!

Postby xmudslinger » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:24 am

I was out doing a little scouting late yesterday when i heard some shooting that sounded like it was coming from a little pothole swamp on a gamelands I hunt occasionally. The shooting intrigued me a little so i drove over to check it out. When I got to the parking area ther were two cars parked there so I parked the car and walked down to the swamp. As i was walking down to the swamp I saw dekes sitting on the open water and as I got closer I realized there were 3 hunters in a makeshift blind. I wandered on over and asked them what they were doing and one of them answered quite perturbed with " WE'RE DUCK HUNTING WHAT DOES IT LOOK LIKE WE'RE DOING" I kept my calm and replied "thats nice but the season isn't open yet" to which the smart mouth said " the season opened Saturday it always opens the Saturday of Columbus Day weekend" and I said "not this year it don't open till the 19th check your waterfowl brochure" which they didn't have and I am not sure they knew existed. I was able to pull the brochure up on my phone and after they looked at it one of them commented "I thought it was strange there were not more hunters out on Saturday"
I wandered on back to the car and left a message with on the phone of the local warden and when I see him on Saturday (which I know I will) I'll find out if they were still there.
I just I am finding harder and harded to accept the stupidity, arragonce, and lack of knowledge of some people who are out in the field these days.
I almost look at south zone early season opener as entertainment more than hunting (skybusting, poor duck calling, lack of waterfowl ID skills, etc). I will now get off my soapbox.
OMG after reading this last part I realize I've turned into my father.
xmudslinger
hunter

Re: Thought I'd seen it all!

Postby Huntfish12 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:07 pm

Well I suppose you did the right thing. I agree on the opening weekend fiasco and also with suddenly sounding like you father. I do it and it scares the $hit out of me.
Theres always someone out there thats better then you. I'm that guy.
Huntfish12
hunter

Postby macdaddy » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:15 pm

xmudslinger wrote:I was out doing a little scouting late yesterday when i heard some shooting that sounded like it was coming from a little pothole swamp on a gamelands I hunt occasionally. The shooting intrigued me a little so i drove over to check it out. When I got to the parking area ther were two cars parked there so I parked the car and walked down to the swamp. As i was walking down to the swamp I saw dekes sitting on the open water and as I got closer I realized there were 3 hunters in a makeshift blind. I wandered on over and asked them what they were doing and one of them answered quite perturbed with " WE'RE DUCK HUNTING WHAT DOES IT LOOK LIKE WE'RE DOING" I kept my calm and replied "thats nice but the season isn't open yet" to which the smart mouth said " the season opened Saturday it always opens the Saturday of Columbus Day weekend" and I said "not this year it don't open till the 19th check your waterfowl brochure" which they didn't have and I am not sure they knew existed. I was able to pull the brochure up on my phone and after they looked at it one of them commented "I thought it was strange there were not more hunters out on Saturday"
I wandered on back to the car and left a message with on the phone of the local warden and when I see him on Saturday (which I know I will) I'll find out if they were still there.
I just I am finding harder and harded to accept the stupidity, arragonce, and lack of knowledge of some people who are out in the field these days.
I almost look at south zone early season opener as entertainment more than hunting (skybusting, poor duck calling, lack of waterfowl ID skills, etc). I will now get off my soapbox.
OMG after reading this last part I realize I've turned into my father.

And while you may be sounding like dear old dad, you're also right. Guys like these slobs make it bad for us all. Right on, xmud. :thumbsup: :beer:
I'm the guy your Mother Goose warned you about.
macdaddy
hunter

Postby boney fingers » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:13 pm

Sounds like these guys got it figured out, no skybusters to put up with, no sleeping out to hold your spot, heck at this point you might as well shot all the woodies you see. The south zone has come in late a number of times in the past years, no excuse.
boney fingers
hunter

Postby tsaylor1979 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:01 pm

I was just north of the line last Saturday. I clearly heard some river shooting below the line. I didn't really have an idea of where they were set up, but I hope they got what was coming to them.

It's unethical. Play by the rules or go home and watch Gameday.
tsaylor1979
hunter

Return to Pennsylvania Duck Hunting