Disappearing Ducks

A great state with a number of waterfowl. This Pennsylvania duck hunting forum is a great place to discuss hunting practices from all over the state.

Moderators: PADUCKSTUFFER, don taylor

Disappearing Ducks

Postby creekkiller23 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:08 am

So I have been hunting this small farm pond in Lancaster county with some success. However Tuesday and today I shot two different ducks (two good hits), and when I went to retrieve the hen mallard dove underwater and stayed there. Today the duck dove and I could not find that bird to save my life I searched the small farm pond for 2 hours with no success. Any advise? I realize that a follow up shot should have been taken but its pretty frustrating to shoot a bird and not find especially since i am not into just killing things for fun or hurting things for that matter.
creekkiller23
hunter

Re: Disappearing Ducks

Postby Boatman » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:42 am

Stay hid and watch your duck,if the head stays up hit it with a follow up shot,give it some time if it is not getting away. Same reason you don't chase a deer right after shot,give it time to die or shoot it again. A good dog will help prevent this most of the time. Ducks will swim down and grab something,or lodge under something,and hold on and die never to be seen.
There are still things worth dying for and 1 of those things is freedom.

I love Geese

Genesis 27:3 Now then, get your weapons, quiver and bow, go out in the fields and hunt some wild game for me.
Boatman
hunter

Postby creekkiller23 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:32 pm

Boatman wrote:Stay hid and watch your duck,if the head stays up hit it with a follow up shot,give it some time if it is not getting away. Same reason you don't chase a deer right after shot,give it time to die or shoot it again. A good dog will help prevent this most of the time. Ducks will swim down and grab something,or lodge under something,and hold on and die never to be seen.

Thank you sir i will give it a try
creekkiller23
hunter

Postby drod » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:49 pm

Ditto on the good dog, if you can't hit 'em twice.

I'm a farm pond hunter myself, and those mallards do seem to disappear sometimes. But the handful of times I've thought they were gone for good after diving, I've walked the edge of the lake with my lab and he found every one of 'em with his nose. They are very good at coming back up undetected and hiding in the vegetation on the edge.
drod
hunter

Postby tsaylor1979 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:14 pm

Like drod said, it probably found the bank and hid. Sometimes they can get up on the bank and run for it(believe it or not). When I am without a dog and I don't kill I on my first shot I am always quick to put another shot on the water.
tsaylor1979
hunter

Postby don taylor » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:49 am

Increase the pellet count of your loads. You're hitting them, but not hitting them enough times to kill them. A denser pattern will cure that a lot of the time. Over a farm pond, you could usually keep the shots inside 40. Switch to a slower, heavier shell and maybe try an IC choke. Most guys here know I use a 10 ga just for it's pattern density most days, but keeping my shots inside 40 this past week, I've been using #4's in a 1 1/4 oz 2 3/4" load with an IC in my beretta. I've been laying waste to woodies and mallards over the decoys with these slow, heavy little shells.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Pennsylvania Duck Hunting