Any South Central PA Hunters want to mentor?

A great state with a number of waterfowl. This Pennsylvania duck hunting forum is a great place to discuss hunting practices from all over the state.

Moderators: PADUCKSTUFFER, don taylor

Any South Central PA Hunters want to mentor?

Postby taylor714914 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:48 pm

I'm finally deciding to get into duck hunting after about 10 years of wanting to, and I've ready numerous places the best thing to do is find someone who is experienced who can teach you the ways. So, with that being said, are there any South Central PA duck hunters who want to teach a rookie a few things? I cook amazing food and brew amazing homebrew if that has any impact on your decision.... :biggrin:
taylor714914
hunter

Re: Any South Central PA Hunters want to mentor?

Postby PADuck » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:26 pm

start scouting and get permission on places to hunt birds then ask this question. Every guy on here will teach you everything you need to know but break the ice and get spots to learn at. Most guys wont just up and take a newbie to there spots and show them how to hunt for fear of losing that spot. Just the way it is. I learned from a few guys off forums and i had the spots to offer them hunts and they returned hunts at there spot to.
PADuck
hunter

Postby taylor714914 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:55 pm

PADuck wrote:start scouting and get permission on places to hunt birds then ask this question. Every guy on here will teach you everything you need to know but break the ice and get spots to learn at. Most guys wont just up and take a newbie to there spots and show them how to hunt for fear of losing that spot. Just the way it is. I learned from a few guys off forums and i had the spots to offer them hunts and they returned hunts at there spot to.

Heck, I don't even need to hunt with them, just being able to sit down and say here are some of the things you want to do, here's the things to look for when scouting an area, here's how to set decoys, etc.

Honestly, I don't even know how to identify possible spots to hunt. We have the conocheague but that's steam, not still water. How do you tell areas that flood? Heck, how do you even scout areas to hunt?
taylor714914
hunter

Postby Joe fitz » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:37 am

how far are you from horsham ?
Joe fitz
hunter

Postby taylor714914 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:44 am

I'm in chambersburg, so about 2 hrs.
taylor714914
hunter

Postby Joe fitz » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:18 am

chambersburg like in trenton nj?
Joe fitz
hunter

Postby taylor714914 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:25 am

No, chambersburg pa, an hour south of Harrisburg along 81, half hour north of Hagerstown MD
taylor714914
hunter

Postby Joe fitz » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:38 am

oo ok there are tons of spots around you i would help you out if you were any closer because my spots are still an hour and a half drive for you
Joe fitz
hunter

Postby taylor714914 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:07 am

Joe fitz wrote:oo ok there are tons of spots around you i would help you out if you were any closer because my spots are still an hour and a half drive for you

Honestly man, what am I even looking for? Water, sure, but what else? are there certain types of fields or terrain the Waterfowl like? Just look for ponds and ask the farmer if I can set up on em?
taylor714914
hunter

Postby Joe fitz » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:20 am

i never hunt fields just because i don't have access to them for waterfowl only deer food plots. If you have access to fields by all means try and scout them. The Key is scouting everyone will tell you this but it is true. Find a spot either water or field that you are allowed to hunt either state or private and take a pair of binos and note pad. go their at the times you would like to hunt and if you see birds write down everything about it. ex where they r landing, the time, the wind speed/ direction, the food source if they are on a field or the depth of the water. Another thing for scouting is look at the surrounding areas of where you are hunting make sure those birds have a food source and water and there will be birds in the area during the migration. the key is to find the birds and the exact location and time that they r landing if you do this more often then not you wont even have to call them the right decoy set up will bring them right in. once you see how the birds are landing then thats when you would worry about your decoy set up and that you can google and it will give you every wind situation and different decoy placements
Joe fitz
hunter

Postby taylor714914 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:35 am

Joe, phenomenal info. So the key right now is finding fields or water and seeing what if anything is landing there, then working on getting permission to hunt it.
taylor714914
hunter

Postby Joe fitz » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:37 am

i would find out if you can hunt it first that way you aren't wasting your time looking at birds you cant hunt lol
Joe fitz
hunter

Return to Pennsylvania Duck Hunting