Hartstown-Pymatuning this morning

A great state with a number of waterfowl. This Pennsylvania duck hunting forum is a great place to discuss hunting practices from all over the state.

Moderators: PADUCKSTUFFER, don taylor

Hartstown-Pymatuning this morning

Postby Spunky » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:59 am

The swamp is froze over. The main lake has some ice on it in spots. Shenango Lake is frozen over the east and west ends of the lake. About an inch of snow on the ground. Saw some flocks of geese resting on the ice. :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: Did get 2 mallards and a black. No new birds :crying: :crying: :crying:
Spunky
hunter

Re: Hartstown-Pymatuning this morning

Postby bassmaster624 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:06 pm

I headed north to Erie this morning.most pond were iced over.Wilhelm and Geneva had ice on them to.Shenago was the only lake that I went by and seen rafts of birds on it.Hoping pymie don't freeze up before the weekend.
women love me and bass fear me
bassmaster624
hunter

Postby Fowl Sneaker » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:21 pm

Break the ice. I've Done it plenty of times. Going up that way here after deer season. And back up for the second split. Break the ice.
Fowl Sneaker
hunter

Postby don taylor » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:53 am

I have a feeling that this winter, with that late split in the NW zone, might be pointless. If the majority of big water is frozen, the majority of ducks will be gone.

The guys who are for the season running later and not caring about the ice say they'll be focused on the creeks and river. I suggest that's what many of you do. I have broken ice plenty of times and some days have been successful, but with the way these guys fought to keep the season open after the main water freezes.... you almost have to hunt where they would.

Good luck to everybody headed up there. Those ponds freezing have sent the banded birds that hid on them out to the open water. The pics on facebook tell a story.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby vincentpa » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:34 am

This is an early freeze. Usually doesn't freeze until the first or second week of December. It's kind of a bummer after the last two seasons. I guess we should be careful what we wish for. Doesn't matter much. Competition will drop off precipitously after this weekend. The deer hunter will be excited. This is the first year in a while there will be snow on the ground for them. I wish them luck.
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
vincentpa
hunter

Postby PAwaterfowldominator » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:02 pm

So the is the main lake locked up?
PAwaterfowldominator
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:45 pm

PAwaterfowldominator wrote:So the is the main lake locked up?

Lake Erie? Not hardly. Maybe some back waters in the bay/lagoons but the entire lake is open. Good thing too as I have a half dozen fields within 3-4 miles of the lake that I count on in the late season to draw birds to feed that are roosting on the lake. :clapping:
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby 001kds » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:46 pm

dsm16428 wrote:

Lake Erie? Not hardly. Maybe some back waters in the bay/lagoons but the entire lake is open. Good thing too as I have a half dozen fields within 3-4 miles of the lake that I count on in the late season to draw birds to feed that are roosting on the lake. :clapping:

Do people not read the subject of a topic before they respond? It says hartstown-pymatuning so when they ask if the main lake is open they are asking about pymatuning lake. Not LAKE ERIE. :fingerhead:
Traveling North America chasing the migration and making memories one shotshell at a time! KDS
001kds
hunter

Postby PAwaterfowldominator » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:06 am

001kds wrote:
dsm16428 wrote:

Do people not read the subject of a topic before they respond? It says hartstown-pymatuning so when they ask if the main lake is open they are asking about pymatuning lake. Not LAKE ERIE. :fingerhead:

Thanks for clearing that up! Does anyone know the current status of Pymatuning Lake?
PAwaterfowldominator
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:39 pm

001kds wrote:
dsm16428 wrote:

Gee thanks captain &$^%. :fingerhead: In that case the MAIN LAKE that being PYMY has ice mainly on the north end but is not completely frozen over the last time I saw 2 days ago. That better kds? :beer:
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
dsm16428
hunter

Postby bassmaster624 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:49 pm

90 percent of pymie is frozen over.it's not to thick cause there was 3 boats out there walleye fishing.i hunted up by the spillway and seen nothing.heard a few shots coming out of the refuge.
bassmaster624
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:32 pm

bassmaster624 wrote:90 percent of pymie is frozen over.it's not to thick cause there was 3 boats out there walleye fishing.i hunted up by the spillway and seen nothing.heard a few shots coming out of the refuge.

That was fast. I guess with temps in the low 20's it would only take a few days to skim over.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby 001kds » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:09 am

dsm16428 wrote:
001kds wrote:
dsm16428 wrote:

Gee thanks captain &$^%. :fingerhead: In that case the MAIN LAKE that being PYMY has ice mainly on the north end but is not completely frozen over the last time I saw 2 days ago. That better kds? :beer:
Yeah that's better. :biggrin:
Traveling North America chasing the migration and making memories one shotshell at a time! KDS
001kds
hunter

Postby don taylor » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:36 am

This season is going to mirror ones in the past, the lake is going to stay frozen for deer season. The mallards will come and go while the guys chase deer. I'd be on the river and creeks up there and leave the big water alone. I saw some pics come thru facebook of some guys getting on some redheads and goldeneye on the shenango river. That's enough to make me give it a shot.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby bassmaster624 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:41 pm

outside of bay 41 the water is open.after the weather we had yesterday I would bet most of the lake is open now.i seen duck's but nothing to brag about.the worst day duck hunting is still better then a good day of deer hunting so you know where i'am heading in the morning.
bassmaster624
hunter

Postby Spunky » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:52 pm

I decided to go shoot a deer instead of ducks this morning. Bad decission. Who knew that dragging a deer for a mile was such work or maybe I'm just getting older. Dragging out the sled full of decoys tommorrow will feel like dragging a feather compared to that deer. 50 degree weather coming than rain than another big cool down.
Spunky
hunter

Postby bassmaster624 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:49 pm

I went duck'n this morning.all types of divers big and small.plenty of mallards to go around to.i seen more ducks today then the last 10 times I was out.mid lake was not frozen over.i only took 3 shot and the birds were not commenting and staying out 45 to 50 yards.my phone doesn't take very good pictures and I wish it would but I had at one point 11 divers less then 20 yards.i was hoping the little ducks would draw bigger ones in but it didn't.there were others out enjoying the birds flying up and down the lake.there were more geese then normal.and throw in a small flock of swans and acouple of bald eagles great way to start a day.
bassmaster624
hunter

Postby macdaddy » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:16 pm

bassmaster624 wrote:I went duck'n this morning.all types of divers big and small.plenty of mallards to go around to.i seen more ducks today then the last 10 times I was out.mid lake was not frozen over.i only took 3 shot and the birds were not commenting and staying out 45 to 50 yards.my phone doesn't take very good pictures and I wish it would but I had at one point 11 divers less then 20 yards.i was hoping the little ducks would draw bigger ones in but it didn't.there were others out enjoying the birds flying up and down the lake.there were more geese then normal.and throw in a small flock of swans and acouple of bald eagles great way to start a day.

Gee. I shot at and missed...

a doe. Oh, woe.

Ducks still in s. zone. Maybe time to reconsider the old wools & grab the old school camo, put aside the '06 & get out the 10 bore. Don't know, gents. Don't know. :huh:
I'm the guy your Mother Goose warned you about.
macdaddy
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:11 pm

don taylor wrote:This season is going to mirror ones in the past, the lake is going to stay frozen for deer season. The mallards will come and go while the guys chase deer. I'd be on the river and creeks up there and leave the big water alone. I saw some pics come thru facebook of some guys getting on some redheads and goldeneye on the shenango river. That's enough to make me give it a shot.

This. I saw HUNDREDS of ducks and geese come off a certain inland creek that stays open for quite a while after everything else freezes solid yesterday morning to go to feed as I sat in the deer stand. Almost made me regret not going duck hunting. We still have the biggest roost open though-Lake Erie and as long as there's a season open and it hasn't frozen over to Canada, there will be birds to shoot.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby Spunky » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:20 pm

Had a couple hundred mallards and blacks flying arond me this morning but no shots. Pretty hard to call in the birds to 2 dozen deeks when there's 4-500 birds sitting in the middle of the lake. Yesterday when the deer hunters were out I had good shooting but today no deer hunters no shooting. Did have a juvied swan come into the decoys and stay about an hour. It even came up to one hen deeks and pecked at it, and tugged at the decoy line.
Spunky
hunter

Postby don taylor » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:17 am

This warm up, then freeze coming next week should move some stuff around. I just noticed, with 9 days left in duck in the NW zone, you're running out of duck season at the same time buck goes out. Time to make a decision, ducks or bucks. I'd be all over the ducks. With all the part timers consumed with deer and ducks being around, it has the makings of a good week.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Duck_Stank » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:58 pm

Spunky wrote:Had a couple hundred mallards and blacks flying arond me this morning but no shots. Pretty hard to call in the birds to 2 dozen deeks when there's 4-500 birds sitting in the middle of the lake. Yesterday when the deer hunters were out I had good shooting but today no deer hunters no shooting. Did have a juvied swan come into the decoys and stay about an hour. It even came up to one hen deeks and pecked at it, and tugged at the decoy line.

That would be an awesome sight to see!
Master of Reality
Duck_Stank
hunter

Postby Duck_Stank » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:01 am

don taylor wrote:This warm up, then freeze coming next week should move some stuff around. I just noticed, with 9 days left in duck in the NW zone, you're running out of duck season at the same time buck goes out. Time to make a decision, ducks or bucks. I'd be all over the ducks. With all the part timers consumed with deer and ducks being around, it has the makings of a good week.

I would be doing the same if finals weren't approaching, plus my dad only deer hunts now, so I can't leave him hanging. Like you said though the rivers should be a good time here later in the last five days in the nw zone. Anything is better than a sharp stick in the eye I suppose
Master of Reality
Duck_Stank
hunter

Return to Pennsylvania Duck Hunting