NEW PA duck hunter

A great state with a number of waterfowl. This Pennsylvania duck hunting forum is a great place to discuss hunting practices from all over the state.

Moderators: PADUCKSTUFFER, don taylor

NEW PA duck hunter

Postby Cranberry1 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:51 pm

Hello All,
I am new to duck hunting, but no hunting in General. I go to school in Erie, so a few buddies have gotten me into duck hunting around the area. I am looking to get some decoys, mallards and bluebills (Bluebills for PI hunting..) . I am also looking to get a new gun and waders. Other than that, i am looking for some advice as to where to hunt! I am from pittsburgh and live around Zelionople . I'm not cyber scouting, but what kind of areas should I really look for? Type of terrain, bodies of water, etc. I know i could have access to a few ponds and possibly parts of slow flowing creeks/streams (the conny possbily?). What do i need to look for when scouting other than the obvious, ducks. If anyone could guide me to any specific threads or any bits of info they wished they knew as beginners it would be greatly appreciated!!
Cranberry1
hunter

Re: NEW PA duck hunter

Postby fallscity1 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:03 am

its getting late ie ponds lakes and marshes are freezing or are already frozen... find water that is not frozen and you will up your odds of finding ducks. there is a huge lake a lil bit north and east of you, Moraine, scout it out, find a place to get in... there are numerous small to medium sized streams in the area too, same deal...go for a drive and find some places where the duck s are and where you can hunt em... we are a tight lipped bunch... and for good reason...if I tell you where one of my spots is it will no longer be one of my spots... honey holes are out there, but you have to search them out and then you have to be there when the ducks are there and keep those secret spots close... this time of year can be great for waterfowling in your area... just have have to find the spots with the birds...
good luck...
a bad day in the field is better than a good day at work
fallscity1
hunter

Postby Cranberry1 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:12 pm

I understand being tight lipped . I never realized moraine could be any good . Thank you for the help and information !!
Cranberry1
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:37 pm

Where do you go to school at cranberry? IF we get some fresh birds in we might be able to hook up for a goose/duck field hunt sometime. I usually put an invite out on GHC every year to take a couple noobs out on family property as it's the one place I can count on NOT getting sharked right out from under me if they try to come back to ask for permission. :lol:
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby Cranberry1 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:51 pm

Went to SV .. College in Erie now ! Friends there have started to get me into it and would like to start down here
Cranberry1
hunter

Postby macdaddy » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:51 am

Cranberry1 wrote:Went to SV .. College in Erie now ! Friends there have started to get me into it and would like to start down here

Welcome Cranberry.
Right on Moraine. Great scenery too.
You've got the best of both worlds - @ home in Cranberry is the F & S; Gander Mtn in Erie.

Good luck with the ducks. Happy Thanksgiving.
I'm the guy your Mother Goose warned you about.
macdaddy
hunter

Postby Cranberry1 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:21 pm

Thank you guys! Hope everyone had a good thanksgiving , Looks like i have some scouting ahead of me !
Cranberry1
hunter

Return to Pennsylvania Duck Hunting