Tough Goose

A great state with a number of waterfowl. This Pennsylvania duck hunting forum is a great place to discuss hunting practices from all over the state.

Moderators: PADUCKSTUFFER, don taylor

Tough Goose

Postby waterfowler4444 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:26 am

Thought I would relate a funny story from yesterdays hunt. My buddy and I were hunting the Delaware. We were on an island and had decoys set off the south tip. River was movining pretty good so getting the birds was a hassel... but a goose turned into a real nightmare... nine shells and three retrieves later he may have earned a fate a little better then just jerkey... I will go to the recipies section next. Anyhow we had a couple greenheads in the boat and a goose works perfectly right up the tip and I drop it, he lands head up so I hit him two more times. My buddy fires up motor boat and goes to get it, I grab an empty box and start picking up spent shells. He comes back and throws the goose up on the island where it promptly stumbles it's way back into the river, he yells for me to shoot it, I yell I don't have my gun....by the time I grab the gun the goose is 50+ yards down stream so I unload three more on it, my buddy fires the boat up retrieves the bird a second time, rings it's neck and leaves it in the boat. About 15 minutes later we are standing there and hear a racket from the boat which is tied up behind us...we turn around to see the goose flop it's self over the side of the boat and back in the river for a third time. Three more spent shells and this time we both took the boat to retrieve it...just in case it had anymore tricks up it's sleeve. Good luck Monday everyone...hopefully the deer go down easier then the geese:)
waterfowler4444
hunter

Re: Tough Goose

Postby tsaylor1979 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:05 am

Some geese are tough! If you don't have a story like that, then you haven't been hunting geese long enough.
tsaylor1979
hunter

Postby creekkiller23 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:52 pm

Thats pretty funny because almost the exact same thing happened to me how ever we unloaded into this goose a solid 6 times at 30 yards. Head goes down in the water however however the goose is not floating down in the fast current it is floating across. I get into the canoe we brought a long to get it by the time I get into the water the goose is at the other side and gets up on shore and takes off. Needless to say after walking through a serious briar patch I did not find the goose made of teflon.
creekkiller23
hunter

Postby Paduckngooser » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:24 pm

I have a similar story, from quite a few years back. My buddy and I got in the canoe early in the morning heading out on the Susquehanna. We didn't realize until later that the water was moving faster than we had thought. We set up on the back of an island and managed to drop a mallard. It was only out about 30 yards so we hopped in the canoe to go get it.

By the time we retrieved it and turned the canoe around, we realized we had traveled much further down river and that trying to paddle up river was useless, leaving us unable to get back to that island to continue hunting or retrieve our decoys and guns. The rest of the day involved floating to our extraction point, driving the boat back up to my car and dropping it off, driving both cars back to the extraction point and then driving to our launch point to start all over several hours later. Needless to say it was an exhausting day. Lesson learned: have a motor boat or don't go out and try to fight a high river.
Paduckngooser
hunter

Return to Pennsylvania Duck Hunting