N W Zone

A great state with a number of waterfowl. This Pennsylvania duck hunting forum is a great place to discuss hunting practices from all over the state.

Moderators: PADUCKSTUFFER, don taylor

Re: N W Zone

Postby don novicki » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:21 pm

Way to get it done Don......... :thumbsup:
don novicki
hunter

Postby bassmaster624 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:54 pm

shenago river was loaded with ducks this past week.i kinda got away from hunting it not so much caused from the pressure but if the ducks are on the x well is to tough to hunt.its posted for miles and u got to know where your at.we did run into others but with limited space what can 1 do.some guys float it but as high as it is I would float it or send a dog in.had a blast and will do it again.
women love me and bass fear me
bassmaster624
hunter

Postby Duck_Stank » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:42 pm

bassmaster624 wrote:shenago river was loaded with ducks this past week.i kinda got away from hunting it not so much caused from the pressure but if the ducks are on the x well is to tough to hunt.its posted for miles and u got to know where your at.we did run into others but with limited space what can 1 do.some guys float it but as high as it is I would float it or send a dog in.had a blast and will do it again.

It was very high, we just hunted coves that were wadeable, and flooded areas. Only lost three birds (which is a terrible feeling) but got the rest. Gotta be picky when it's so high. I love the late split.
Master of Reality
Duck_Stank
hunter

Postby Spunky » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:57 am

dsm16428 wrote:That and they're shooting up the roost. I'll hammer a loafing area/pond every day. They'll just pick another spot. You whack at em enough times-sometimes just once on a roost and you degrade your chances of seeing those birds around ever again exponentially.

Maybe I have dumb birds but they will be there clear through until the spring thaw. They have been roosting in the same spot since early November and I have been hunting there every day except for a few days and they don't leave that spot. These birds are mostly locals and know where to fly so it gets to be a game everytime I hunt them. every time the wind changes direction you have to change hunting spots.

You don't go in and bust the roost but hunt away from the roost and let the birds come to you. These birds hardly ever get any pressure so a little shooting and get out and they will come back every day. No all day hunts just 3 hours or so and that's it.

Went to check out the ice conditions this morning and the birds were still there. I'll let them rest until Wednesday than have another go at them.
Spunky
hunter

Previous

Return to Pennsylvania Duck Hunting