pa plond

A great state with a number of waterfowl. This Pennsylvania duck hunting forum is a great place to discuss hunting practices from all over the state.

Moderators: PADUCKSTUFFER, don taylor

pa plond

Postby SQUAWKnemi » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:46 am

Hopefully this doesn't turn into a jump shoot type argument or mojo jerk string debate thts not why I'm posting this, my buddy brought it up at the bar tonight and were curious. I know the concept, I've heard it works, and he wants to try it for quick local hunts while birds are around before we hafta start driving at least an hr for every hunt. The number of birds around my area is awesome right now, well for this area considering the isn't any large bodies of open water in the immediate area. Everything's frozen though except the local creek with houses along it, as always its loaded with birds. I have permission to hunt just about every local field and farm pond but everything but the local creek frozen over so they just want to go there.

but what I'm getting to, we all know pa's long standing opinions on doing anything other than hunting over standard deeks in cut corn or on water with normal calls. Has anyone talked to wardens about plonds. I talked to my uncle, he's a warden and said he doesn't see why you couldn't he wouldnt consider it baiting, than again one wardens opinion on a law in this state can be the complete opposite of other wardens and half of them probably couldn't id a black duck from a mallard hen, theyr just worried about deer season.

I'm going to give the regional office a call next week if I get a chance but I figured maybe someone here has talked to someone and knows more than I. So if anyone knows anything let me know I have a beer riding on the legality of it in pa.
Some QUack And We Kill
SQUAWKnemi
hunter

Re: pa plond

Postby Huntfish12 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:54 am

I wouldnt think twice about doin it. As a matter of fact, if the snow sticks around, Ill be making one too. The man can kiss it if he wants to write me a ticket for being creative and thinking outside the box! I would fight that all day.
Theres always someone out there thats better then you. I'm that guy.
Huntfish12
hunter

Postby hud521 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:08 pm

I gotta know......what the hell is a plond?
hud521
hunter

Postby LeakyBoot » Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:19 pm

Me too, what the heck are you talking about?
Sounds illegal. :lol3:
LeakyBoot
hunter

Postby SQUAWKnemi » Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:27 pm

Search it in the honey hole forum... Its a plastic pond
Some QUack And We Kill
SQUAWKnemi
hunter

Postby Wobbling Wings Waterfowling » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:57 pm

If I am not mistaken... I do believe this is illegal in PA... I think I read in the book about imitating artificial places for ducks to land by using dye or tarps to look like water. I thought so... Maybe I read that somewhere else though?
Wobbling Wings Waterfowling
hunter

Postby don novicki » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:58 pm

The pictures in the "honey hole" forum look good but if you have any wind at all I could see where it would be a major hassle getting the thing spread out. As far as baiting goes how could it possibly be "baiting" you are not even messing with any type of food source so I can't see how that would apply. The old timers used to pour bleach on the ice of ponds to make it look like open water and I guess it worked but I have never seen it done, nor have I ever seen/used a plond. Let us know how you make out...... :thumbsup:
don novicki
hunter

Postby SQUAWKnemi » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:07 pm

Thats what i ment not really baiting but an artificial surface. I know using turf or similar products is illegal but where I saw the rule last year i didn't read anything about black tarps or imitating water, i could b wrong tho i skimmed it over because i didn't think about ever doing it. But what if u were to throw water on top a couple inches deep creating a little 15x15 water hole than where is that line drawn between a plond and a pond with a liner. Il hafta call but i have a feeling i won't get a straight answer.

and as long as were on this subject what about those stupid kids play corn cobs Avery puts in with fb geese. R they illegal?
Some QUack And We Kill
SQUAWKnemi
hunter

Postby gogetthedogs » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:28 pm

I would hope you plan on plonding in the south zone right now.
I don't have a catchy phrase to put here!
gogetthedogs
hunter

Postby SQUAWKnemi » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:35 pm

Dont worry I know my zones and dates
Some QUack And We Kill
SQUAWKnemi
hunter

Postby erp10 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:04 am

SQUAWKnemi wrote:
and as long as were on this subject what about those stupid kids play corn cobs Avery puts in with fb geese. R they illegal?

Yes its baiting in PA.
erp10
hunter

Postby SQUAWKnemi » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:06 am

I thought so... If anyones going out of state I have about two dozen sitting im my basement il gladly donate them haha
Some QUack And We Kill
SQUAWKnemi
hunter

Postby Boatman » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:56 am

All you have to do is pump water on a pond or field and you are legal. You may have to do a little shoveling now though. :crying: You can not lay down a tarp and fill with water though.
There are still things worth dying for and 1 of those things is freedom.

I love Geese

Genesis 27:3 Now then, get your weapons, quiver and bow, go out in the fields and hunt some wild game for me.
Boatman
hunter

Postby SQUAWKnemi » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:30 pm

Plonds are illegal... Glad thts clarified now I gota get tht beer I'm owed
Some QUack And We Kill
SQUAWKnemi
hunter

Postby vincentpa » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:06 pm

SQUAWKnemi wrote:I thought so... If anyones going out of state I have about two dozen sitting im my basement il gladly donate them haha

That's federal law. They're illegal everywhere except I think for the conservation snow goose hunt. Check on that before you use them.

Sent from my iPhone 5, which sucks my cojones. Don't buy one.
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
vincentpa
hunter

Return to Pennsylvania Duck Hunting