Hunting within a safety zone?

A great state with a number of waterfowl. This Pennsylvania duck hunting forum is a great place to discuss hunting practices from all over the state.

Moderators: PADUCKSTUFFER, don taylor

Hunting within a safety zone?

Postby PAwaterfowldominator » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:43 am

Can you and will you hunt within a safety zone if you have writtern permission from the owner?
PAwaterfowldominator
hunter

Re: Hunting within a safety zone?

Postby erp10 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:19 am

Yep for sure. One of my best spots is in a safety zone. It has a natural spring so when everything is locked up the birds go there.
erp10
hunter

Postby vincentpa » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:01 pm

Yes. You cannot hunt in a safety zone if it is marked as such or you don't have permission even if unmarked. You cannot shoot into a safety zone. If your shot falls in the safety zone, you are in violation. If you have permission to hunt the property on a safety zone, you are within the law as long as you are not violating someone else's safety zone.

Sent from my iPhone 5, which sucks my cojones. Don't buy one.
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
vincentpa
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:02 am

Have more than a couple spots that I hunt where we're set up well within a safety zone and have written permission to do so. Everything Vincent said is correct and he mentioned one thing most guys never think about-having shot fall into a safety zone is also a violation.
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby xxDuckWildxx » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:28 pm

Not trying to start an argument, but I've never seen that your shot can't fall into a safety zone. This would be pretty hard to determine depending on wind speed and direction and angle of shot. The law I've read says that the game being shot at can't be within the safety zone even if you are positioned outside of the safety zone (unless you have prior permission)
"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical"-Thomas Jefferson
xxDuckWildxx
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:52 pm

xxDuckWildxx wrote:Not trying to start an argument, but I've never seen that your shot can't fall into a safety zone. This would be pretty hard to determine depending on wind speed and direction and angle of shot. The law I've read says that the game being shot at can't be within the safety zone even if you are positioned outside of the safety zone (unless you have prior permission)

Directly from the Game law Digest... It means your shot CANNOT FALL into a safety zone (shooting into a safety zone),unless you have permission from the owner. Don't see how that's so hard to understand?

Safety Zones: It is unlawful to hunt for, shoot at, trap, take, chase or
disturb wildlife within 150 yards of any occupied residence, camp, industrial
or commercial building, farm house or farm building, or school
or playground without the permission of the occupants. It is unlawful
to shoot into a safety zone, even if you are outside of the zone.
Driving
game, even without a fi rearm or bow, within a safety zone without
permission is unlawful. For comparison, think of a safety zone as about
one and a half football fi elds. Hunting on hospital and institutional
grounds, and in cemeteries, is also prohibited. It is unlawful to discharge
a fi rearm within 150 yards of a Game Commission vehicle whose occupants
are releasing pheasants. The safety zone for archery hunters
statewide, including those using crossbows, is 50 yards. Archery hunters
carrying muzzleloaders during any muzzleloader season must abide
by the 150-yard safety zone regulation. Around playgrounds, schools,
nursery schools or day-care centers, the safety zone remains 150 yards
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
dsm16428
hunter

Postby xxDuckWildxx » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:12 pm

It's hard to understand because it seems like the law was written to keep you from shooting at animals that are standing/flying/running within 150 yards of a building or stocking truck. Let's take the typical duck hunt out of this and use a grouse hunting scenario. You flush a grouse on the end of a mountain top clear cut and shoot at it. The end of the mountain is right there and it's fairly steep. There's a farm or house at the bottom of the mountain and your shot flies through the air and lands harmlessly like raindrops on the farmland but within 150 yards of the building. Or better yet, you're pheasant hunting in one side of a game land and a game commission truck is on the other side stocking pheasants but you don't know it's there. You take a shot at a pheasant and the shot lands harmlessly within 150 yards of the truck or personnel. Is it really fair and reasonable to face punishment for this? I realize the way the law is written you can say it is illegal but a warden would have to be a major D*** to cite you for this. Like I said, I believe the intent of the law is to prevent DANGER to people, pets, buildings and livestock from close range impacts. I believe we could all agree there is no real danger to having bird shot or steel shot falling into your lawn or even dropping on your head from 800 yards away.
"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical"-Thomas Jefferson
xxDuckWildxx
hunter

Postby xxDuckWildxx » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:23 pm

From the actual unabridged text of the PA WILDLIFE CODE, not the summary digest.

Sec. 2505. Safety zones.
(a) General rule.--Except as otherwise provided in this title or to any political subdivision, its employees or agents, which has a valid deer control permit issued under section 2902(c) (relating to special categories of permits), it is unlawful for any person, other than the lawful occupant, while hunting game or wildlife, taking furbearers of any kind, or pursuing any other privilege granted by this title, to hunt for, take, trap, pursue, disturb or otherwise chase any game or wildlife or to discharge, for any reason, any firearm, arrow or other deadly weapon within or through a safety zone, or to shoot at any game or wildlife while it is within the safety zone without the specific advance permission of the lawful occupant thereof.
(b) Penalty.--A violation of this section is a summary offense punishable by a fine of not less than $200 nor more $500. A second or subsequent offense within two calendar years is a summary offense punishable by a fine of not less than $500 nor more than $1,000.
(c) Definition.--As used in this section the term "safety zone" means:
(1) Except as otherwise provided in paragraph (2), the area within 150 yards around and that area which is below the highest point of any occupied dwelling house, residence, or other building or camp occupied by human beings, or any barn, stable, or other building used in connection therewith or any attached or detached playground of any school,
nursery school or day-care center.
xxDuckWildxx
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:44 pm

[quote="xxDuckWildxx"]It's hard to understand because it seems like the law was written to keep you from shooting at animals that are standing/flying/running within 150 yards of a building or stocking truck. Let's take the typical duck hunt out of this and use a grouse hunting scenario. You flush a grouse on the end of a mountain top clear cut and shoot at it. The end of the mountain is right there and it's fairly steep. There's a farm or house at the bottom of the mountain and your shot flies through the air and lands harmlessly like raindrops on the farmland but within 150 yards of the building. Or better yet, you're pheasant hunting in one side of a game land and a game commission truck is on the other side stocking pheasants but you don't know it's there. You take a shot at a pheasant and the shot lands harmlessly within 150 yards of the truck or personnel. Is it really fair and reasonable to face punishment for this? I realize the way the law is written you can say it is illegal but a warden would have to be a major D*** to cite you for this. Like I said, I believe the intent of the law is to prevent DANGER to people, pets, buildings and livestock from close range impacts. I believe we could all agree there is no real danger to having bird shot or steel shot falling into your lawn or even dropping on your head from 800 yards away.[/ote]

Ok firstly, ANY hunting situation is the same any the other as far as this is concerned...period. You MUST know your target AND BEYOND. That is the law-no two ways around it.

You are STILL shooting into a safety zone if the shot falls within 150 yards of the occupied building

You are on SGL's. There is NO SAFETY ZONE unless you are within 150 yards of an occupied building. The WCO in his truck couldn't do a thing about your shot falling on him as he is out performing his normal duties and his truck is not a building

Why even add this? Steel shot, even Hevy Shot would never-EVER travel that far, actually MAYBE to a max range of 450 yards or so depending on muzzle velocity, hence the 150 yards SAEFTY SONE where the shot would loose the majority of it's lethal energy beyond that point, though a rifle bullet surely would retain lethal energy to well beyond 1,000 yards to even in excess of 3 MILES.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:46 pm

xxDuckWildxx wrote:From the actual unabridged text of the PA WILDLIFE CODE, not the summary digest.

Sec. 2505. Safety zones.
(a) General rule.--Except as otherwise provided in this title or to any political subdivision, its employees or agents, which has a valid deer control permit issued under section 2902(c) (relating to special categories of permits), it is unlawful for any person, other than the lawful occupant, while hunting game or wildlife, taking furbearers of any kind, or pursuing any other privilege granted by this title, to hunt for, take, trap, pursue, disturb or otherwise chase any game or wildlife or to discharge, for any reason, any firearm, arrow or other deadly weapon within or through a safety zone, or to shoot at any game or wildlife while it is within the safety zone without the specific advance permission of the lawful occupant thereof.
(b) Penalty.--A violation of this section is a summary offense punishable by a fine of not less than $200 nor more $500. A second or subsequent offense within two calendar years is a summary offense punishable by a fine of not less than $500 nor more than $1,000.
(c) Definition.--As used in this section the term "safety zone" means:
(1) Except as otherwise provided in paragraph (2), the area within 150 yards around and that area which is below the highest point of any occupied dwelling house, residence, or other building or camp occupied by human beings, or any barn, stable, or other building used in connection therewith or any attached or detached playground of any school,
nursery school or day-care center.

This line has NOTHING to do with game, but simply shooting into or through a safety zone. Don't add your own interperitation to what's already laid out in black and white...it'll get you in hot water some day if you do.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby xxDuckWildxx » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:01 pm

You forgot to highlight the next line, which proves my original point...."or to shoot at any game or wildlife while it is within the safety zone without the specific advance permission of the lawful occupant thereof."
xxDuckWildxx
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:35 pm

xxDuckWildxx wrote:You forgot to highlight the next line, which proves my original point...."or to shoot at any game or wildlife while it is within the safety zone without the specific advance permission of the lawful occupant thereof."

If you shoot into a safety zone while SHOOTING AT GAME OR NOT, you are STILL in violation. Why can you not seem to get this? Further, how else could you NOT risk putting shot or bullets into a safety zone unless you were actually shooting at game other than during target practice?...OR shooting at random which is also illegal. WOW. :rolleyes:
dsm16428
hunter

Postby xxDuckWildxx » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:53 pm

If I am outside of the safety zone when I discharge my firearm, there is no possible way to also simultaneously discharge that weapon WITHIN the safety zone. And by definition THROUGH is not synonymous with INTO. Check it out in Websters if you don't believe me
xxDuckWildxx
hunter

Postby xxDuckWildxx » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:00 pm

Definition of through:
moving in one side and out of the other side of (an opening, channel, or location).
"stepping boldly through the doorway"
synonyms: into and out of, to the other side of, to the far side of, from one side to the other of More
from one side to the other, from one end to another, in and out the other side
so as to make a hole or opening in (a physical object).
"the truck smashed through a brick wall"
moving around or from one side to the other within (a crowd or group).
"making my way through the guests"
so as to be perceived from the other side of (an intervening obstacle).
"the sun was streaming in through the window"
expressing the position or location of something beyond or at the far end of (an opening or an obstacle).
"the approach to the church is through a gate"
expressing the extent of turning from one orientation to another.
"each joint can move through an angle within fixed limits"

Definition of into:

WebImagesVideosNewsMore
Search Results
in·to
ˈinto͞o/
preposition
preposition: into
expressing movement or action with the result that someone or something becomes enclosed or surrounded by something else.
"cover the bowl and put it into the fridge"
expressing movement or action with the result that someone or something makes physical contact with something else.
"he crashed into a parked car"
indicating a route by which someone or something may arrive at a particular destination.
"the narrow road that led down into the village"
indicating the direction toward which someone or something is turned when confronting something else.
"with the wind blowing into your face"
indicating an object of attention or interest.
"a clearer insight into what is involved"
expressing a change of state.
"a peaceful protest which turned into a violent confrontation"
expressing the result of an action.
"they forced the club into a humiliating and expensive special general meeting"
expressing division.
"three into twelve equals four"
informal
(of a person) taking a lively and active interest in (something).
"he's into surfing"
xxDuckWildxx
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:11 pm

Dude. You need to go buy a clue because you're gonna get into touble deep you go through life with that kind of thinking. Peace. :no:
dsm16428
hunter

Return to Pennsylvania Duck Hunting