The last Saturday of duck season...

A great state with a number of waterfowl. This Pennsylvania duck hunting forum is a great place to discuss hunting practices from all over the state.

Moderators: PADUCKSTUFFER, don taylor

The last Saturday of duck season...

Postby xxDuckWildxx » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:46 pm

Well today was basically the last day of the season for those of us who work Monday-Friday, and it was one to forget. We hit the lake early with sledgehammers busting ice and despite the conditions set out a nice looking spread in a nice open water hole. We were well situated 20 minutes before LST. When LST hit, all we had was pea soup fog and rain and dead skies. Sat in the mess till 10 AM without ever laying eyes on a duck, heard one goose which never got closer than probably 300 yards. Way too much work to get skunked! To add insult to injury, I pinned down a bunch of ducks yesterday but couldn't secure any permission. Oh well, I may get out once more on Tuesday if I get rained out at work, but more than likely today was the last hurrah. How did everyone else do today? (If you were crazy enough to go out...)
"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical"-Thomas Jefferson
xxDuckWildxx
hunter

Re: The last Saturday of duck season...

Postby Joe fitz » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:56 pm

sorry to hear you didn't see much. i got out on the lake at around 530 to bust ice with a sludge also. got a nice big hole busted open and had the deeks set up right at lst. i didn't expect to c much at all considering i didn't scout this area the night before i scouted the river and the conditions where to crazy for my liking out there so i ended up going to the lake. so right as i set in i started pouring my coffee and sure enough a group of ducks fly right by and i couldn't get a shot off. i guess that's what i deserve for not having any confidence in myself for picking this spot hahaha. so the rest of the morning i saw a couple more groups of ducks and it was just too windy so when they tried to decoy they would get blown away right before they would get into range and i couldnt get any shots. also had a group of 4 geese try to come in and land in the hole and they over shot it and dropped too far for me to get any shot off. i cant complain about the day because i didn't expect to see any ducks at all with the lake being locked up. cant wait til next season
Joe fitz
hunter

Postby Paduckngooser » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:16 pm

I scoped a really good spot for the last day. Open little swamp that didn't freeze over, not too far off the river and seemed to have a decent bit of birds frequenting it. Got to the spot long before day break and started hearing birds. Quacks got louder and then the thunder of about 20 birds took off from my spot... Nothing came back and I sat looking over my perfect spot till about 11 and then went home. Any suggestions for this kind of situation in the future?
Paduckngooser
hunter

Postby xxDuckWildxx » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:30 pm

PADuckngooser, sounds like you were hunting a roost. If you would have set up there in the early afternoon you would have probably had good shooting as the birds returned to roost. This is not a good idea if you're trying to maintain good hunting week in and week out, but Saturday being basically the last day of our season it would have been worth it!
"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical"-Thomas Jefferson
xxDuckWildxx
hunter

Postby Paduckngooser » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:09 am

Thanks, I appreciate it. Knowledge I will have to wait till next season to put into use!
Paduckngooser
hunter

Postby Boatman » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:00 pm

Paduckngooser wrote:I scoped a really good spot for the last day. Open little swamp that didn't freeze over, not too far off the river and seemed to have a decent bit of birds frequenting it. Got to the spot long before day break and started hearing birds. Quacks got louder and then the thunder of about 20 birds took off from my spot... Nothing came back and I sat looking over my perfect spot till about 11 and then went home. Any suggestions for this kind of situation in the future?

Yea never hunt the roost.
There are still things worth dying for and 1 of those things is freedom.

I love Geese

Genesis 27:3 Now then, get your weapons, quiver and bow, go out in the fields and hunt some wild game for me.
Boatman
hunter

Return to Pennsylvania Duck Hunting